PDA

View Full Version : Zero Gravity Sport Tour Windscreen

ddavis
01-20-2004, 10:05 PM
I just installed my windscreen.

I spent a whole 10 minutes on it. 6 screws, 4 nuts, and :evil:
The windscreen is fine but, I dropped a screw somewhere in the fairing! :headbang:

I also found 2 more screws that were missing. :angryfir:

I bought this bike a year ago from a friend of mine who, never rode it and he felt sorry for me because, my Kawahowitzer (very loud Kawasaki), had been stolen a month before.
He had wrecked it once at low speed, replaced most of the broken parts and had it repainted.
It sat for years, and most of the rubber internals had dry rotted. It smoked like a frieght train.

I took the bike to Southwest Super Bikes in Dallas. Great engine builders. They built the first Hyabusa to break the 200 mph mark, naturaly asspirated, at the salt flats. :eek:

I really don't like to say anything bad about these guys because, I am close to the owner in a round about way. I am friends with his brothers friend. That is how I found the place to start with.
When I picked up the bike, I rode it home. Then I had to go buy a few pieces of hardware that was missing, and attatch the front fender the way it was intended. The tripple clamp on the left side was loose, and one of the bolts was missing. (I had the forks rebuilt while it was there because, the wipers were dry rotted and leaking)

I wish I had the time and facilities to do the work myself but, I just don't!

Where was I? Oh, yeah...

I can't wait to try out my new windscreen with my new heli bars. :-D

As for Southwest Super Bikes, if you need an engine rebuilt and tuned to spec. give them a try. My bike runs like a scalded dog. I suggest you trailer it home and check everything before a ride. :biggun:

Did I say how well it runs? :angel:

Dirtrideroader
01-20-2004, 10:48 PM
If you can post a picture, I would love to see it. Plus, I look forward to your impressions of it.

Mind if I ask why you changed out the bars?

ddavis
01-21-2004, 07:32 AM
The stock bars are very low, and all my weight rests on my wrists. I ride a lot of long distances with few breaks, thanks in part to my dad who likes to make good time. He had a Goldwing up until a month ago when he wrecked it. He had no problem riding for hours at a time.
The only break I could manage, was to sit upright to stretch my back out and rest my wrists. The reach to the bars only alowed one hand on the throttle in this position. Riding one handed isn't really a problem as long as nothing gets in your way, the road is straight and, its relativly smooth. I don't like those odds!
The Heli bars put me close to the rest position and allow both of my hands at the controls. The windscreen is taller to counter my taller riding position.
My dad plans on buying a new Wing when he is well, and I hope to be able to keep up with him now. My touring range is only 150 miles, so I didn't need too much extra comfort but, I hope this did it.

Pictures will be soon. Then I have to figure out how to post them. Scott? :help:

sphpkr
01-21-2004, 07:57 AM
I put a Zero Gravity Double Bubble screen on my Kawahowitzer :lol: and really like it. Decreased cockpit turbulence and helmet buffeting.

kurt
01-21-2004, 08:58 AM
I have a Zero Gravity DB on my Bandit. I have nothing but praise for it.

Tourmeister
01-21-2004, 01:32 PM
Then I have to figure out how to post them. Scott?

Step one: upload the pics to a server somewhere.
:tab This site does not allow pics to be uploaded directly to our server. So you need to have a place where you can get the pictures online.

Step two: link to the pics from here
:tab There are two ways to link to the picture. You can display the pic in the post by using the IMG and /IMG tags. If you do this, please keep the pic width less than 500 pixels. Otherwise it screws up the display of the topic thread. Keep in mind that anyone viewing the page will have to wait while the images load. This can be a real nuisance for modems users if there are very many images.
:tab The second way to link is to use the URL and /URL tags. This will display a link to the picture and bring it up in a separate window. the images can be any size you like. This lets modem users decide which pictures they want to see.

Here are the formats:

(img)http://yourserver.com/image.jpg(/img)

(url=http://yourserver.com/image.jpg)Link description text(/url)

When doing this yourself, replace the () with [] to make it work.

Simple... no?

Adios,

buck000
01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
I put a Skidmarx double-bubble on my bike. Click here (http://home.austin.rr.com/rhome/moto/db.htm) to really waste your time reading about it...

I really must not attempt to mod my bike... :)

ddavis
01-21-2004, 05:24 PM
Great story! My sides are hurting! Sorry about your bad luck but, I feel better now.
It doesn't look that bad from the pictures.

ddavis
01-21-2004, 05:36 PM
The picture posting will not be so simple for me. I don't have a web site to link to. My I-net service is hyjacked. I use my pc at work, and my company supplied lap top at home with broadband I-net for "test" purposes only. :wink: Why buy when I can borrow? :)

VFRinAustin
01-21-2004, 06:04 PM
I put a Skidmarx double-bubble on my bike. Click here (http://home.austin.rr.com/rhome/moto/db.htm) to really waste your time reading about it...

Once again, nice write-up Paul. And I dont know, i think the little white outline kinda hightlights the install dont you think :P

I had the LP V2 on the SV for a while. Didnt really like the overall construction and quality. Seemed a little to thin and where the screen and the fairing came together looked pretty cheap. Utlimately, I didnt notice a whole lot of difference unless I got down in behind it. Good for short blasts but certainly no benifit on long rides. I have since removed it and replace the origninal back on and I think it will stay that way. I have noticed that most of the aftermarket screens have kinda that cheap look to them (I said "look", heaven knows they aint cheap) so I dont think I will be trying one on the Viffer soon either.

bbray01
01-21-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I too have the Zero Gravity Double Bouble and Heli Bars on the R1. Made a world of difference. My old bones could not hack the R1 factory set up. I later put on a Corbin seat and the LP 360 adjustable foot pegs. I can ride all day now. I have done over 500 miles in one day twice with not too much trouble. Also rode to Kerrville, around the hill country, and back with no problem over a long weekend.

It still ain't a VFR but it is close.

Bill

ddavis
01-21-2004, 07:05 PM
I would love to have the corbin seat for the RF but, they want about $800 for it. The stock seat is hard but, I have an Aerostitch sheepskin cover that makes it more bearable.

I have also considered putting in the gell inserts that require cutting the foam out in the middle. I have seen it done in the mags. I haven't heard any real world reviews on that procedure. Has anyone?

scratch
01-21-2004, 07:12 PM

Heck, it looks pretty good to me! 8)

It sounds like you and I have a similar degree of mechanical ineptness. :wink:

True confessions time: A couple of years ago I was in the middle of re-installing the back wheel on my old Ducati after changing the tire when I received a phone call concerning a family emergency. Needing to drop everything and run, I got the wheel in position, shoved the axle in place and ran out the door.

Didn't have a chance to come back and complete the job for about a week. At that point, I torqued down the axle nut, aligned the wheel, adjusted the chain and headed out for a test ride. About 20 miles down the road I noticed that my back brake was going away, so I pulled over to take a look at it. What I saw nearly caused me to poop my pants - the rear brake caliper was dangling by the brake hose and one loose screw. It had rotated away from the disk so that the pads weren't getting any bite at all. Had the assembly fallen off while I was cruising down the highway and gotten wrapped up in the back wheel, it could have been very, very ugly indeed. :eek:

Fortunately, the same size screw as the missing one was used to attach the exhaust pipe hanger, so I "borrowed" one temporarily to get me back home. Since that incident, I'll take the time to make notes and draw pictures as I go along to remind myself of how things go together if I anticipate being interrupted or if the task is more than a little complicated. It also doesn't hurt to go through and check all the nuts and bolts you've touched one last time, just to be sure everything is tight.

ddavis
01-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I had a similar incident with my Kaw.

I was adjusting the chain and my son came outside to watch. He tends to talk a lot and I don't multi-task well. I got the chain right on the money and even managed to put the cotter pin back in.

I rode it to a friends house to borrow his truck and let him borrow my bike. We planned on swapping back the next day.

He called me the next morning and explained very appologeticaly that the chain came off. He said it chewed through some various other parts before he could get it stoped. I'm glad it didn't stop on it's own! :shock:

When I picked it up, the first thing I did was check the axle nut. Why, you might ask? I couldn't for the life of me remember even pulling the torque wrench out of the tool box, much less using it. :roll:

$300 later... :pound2

He forgave me for almost killing him and we are still good friends today.
He won't ride my bikes anymore though. :shrug:

buck000
01-22-2004, 12:21 AM
And I dont know, i think the little white outline kinda hightlights the install dont you think :P

Actually, I can quite easily rationalize that it provides a nice subtle little zing to the screen... ;)

http://www.bitsof.info/moto/rst/db/12-finished-sm.jpg

Now I'm really getting interested in the Saeng stealth edging (http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm), now that my new screen doesn't have a pretty rolled edge... I'm just looking to get my helmet area as quiet as possible, in preparation with some springtime riding (and intercom'ing) with my better half.

Oh, and Paul and ddavis, bless you for sharing those stories, I don't feel like the only one who's goofed (and I'm glad all involved stayed healthy).

Mustang
04-18-2004, 11:43 AM
I just ordered a Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen for the ZR-7s; in the light smoke color. I was told they were out of stock (no surprise there for this bike) but they were currently in production and should be shipping within one week. Woot! I am really looking forward to getting it installed and in use.

My goal is to cut down on the wind blast and be able to get off the bike after a 2-4 hours ride and not not yell for the next hour or so.

We're going to Mexico this coming weekend.. so I'm hoping to return to w new screen sitting on the porch frrom the UPS man. I hope it is what I'm looking for.

Mustang

Tourmeister
04-18-2004, 11:45 AM
My goal is to cut down on the wind blast and be able to get off the bike after a 2-4 hours ride and not not yell for the next hour or so.

Ear plugs go a long way in this regard ;-) I've worn them for so long that now I can't stand to ride without them!

Adios,

Mustang
04-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Ear plugs go a long way in this regard ;-) I've worn them for so long that now I can't stand to ride without them!
I have a set of Koss earbuds that double as earplugs for me. They seal pretty good.. but sometimes the noise just gets a bit rough even with them. I normally turn the tunes off above about 60-70 mph. Just have to have it so loud to hear it that it can't be good for you.

Perhaps a different helmet would help too? *shrugs* But I was plannign to start a thread on this particular though too.

Mustang
05-06-2004, 08:41 PM
UPDATE---

Zero Grav ST Screen installed and been running with it for a bit now... Looks rather dorky.. but it WORKS! I love it! and 4 screws and I'm back to stock whenever I want.

Two thumbs up.

Doc
05-24-2004, 08:28 AM
Just added a Laminar Flow Lip to my Zero Gravity screen on my 900SS ... had read about the theory on a BMW wind tunnel site awhile back and had to give it a spin.

Bloody good idea that one, works GREAT. John did a similar thing to his Dyna Sport screen ... and it did as it was expected to but I think he has other issues now ... like that fork mounted sails are scary at 90mph and up on windy days when your bike needs a fork brace as well, and the roads are twisty.

Tx Rider
05-24-2004, 04:50 PM
Yup, I'm a decent hand at working plexiglass, so I fabbed up a couple of laminar lips for me and Doc to try for about $2.50 a piece and a few hours of work with a dremel saw and heat gun and sandpaper. I couldn't see paying $75 to buy one and try it.

Like these guys.

http://www.laminarlip.com/touringlips.htm

They do seem to change the airflow significantly, even if they do look a bit weird.

I think I'm going to prototype myself my own windshield soon though, and try to get more what I want. Too many projects, so little time :)

Tourmeister
05-24-2004, 05:20 PM
I'm sure they work great. Gawd they're ugly :-P

Adios,

Tx Rider
05-24-2004, 11:42 PM
Yeah that's another reason I decided to make my own, they came out looking better in my opinion, though it still looks a bit funky just on the face of it.

I really just wanted to see if the principle was sound, and it seems it is.

I'll have to get the camera out and get some pics up of the alien windshields from DFW. ;-) Soon as I clean the bugs off of it again.

This is only my second bike with a windshield at all, and I'm still playing with getting it right. I'm a tall guy and sit pretty tall in the saddle.

I've been working at the concept of getting the wind over my head, but I think I'm ready to try a real low shield that puts it at shoulder level and keeps my head in clear wind, working from a "supersport" harley detacheable windshield base. I like to go shieldless a lot, but having a shield on long trips is the only way to go.

I think Doc is quite happy with his though, I still want to make a couple of alterations to it's mounting for little cleaner job.

Tourmeister
05-25-2004, 12:55 AM
:tab I agree about keeping your head in the wind. I think you get a quieter smoother ride. However, keeping the wind off your torso reduces fatigue. The downside is that more bugs get through to your faceshield :-| The windblast on my VFR 800 hits right at the collarbones. This is about perfect. On the GS, it hits a little higher and the air is not as clean around the helmet and I get a little buffeting. I may actually just remove the screen all together. I have ridden Irondawg's GS in this configuration and it was actually quite nice.

Adios,