• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Under jacket armor for gravelly road dualsporting

Reaction score
I got a medium FLy Patrol jacket from Rocky. It looks like well made, high quality air vents for TX summer. But, to my horror, this thing doesn't have any armor in it. It's the first motorcycle jacket that doesn't have any armor. At least, it looks to have thick fabric that will resist abrasion by sharp gravels. So, my options are return it, or buy some kind of separate armor system. So, what is the thinnest armor that can go under the jacket? There's not much room in there.

I have one of these and its a great jacket. I wear a presuure suit under it.

How about taking it to a seamstress and having some pockets sewn in for adding armor?

How about taking it to a seamstress and having some pockets sewn in for adding armor?

THere's no room in the jacket for pads.

I would have to return it to Rocky and order one size larger and then add pockets for pads. I would end up with something with really long sleeve
and very long and baggy around the waist.

Or I just go buy a Firstgear Kilimanjaro.

THe choice is clear to me now.

Who would ride with a jacket w/o pads? :loco:

I was wearing a Juggernaut from Velocity Gear (http://www.highvelocitygear.com/all-products.html) under my Jacket on the ETex 200 -- but I had to remove the Level-2 back protector for it to fit under my not-purchsed-for-this-application jacket (I left the jacket back-pad in). You might remember we climbing out from under the layers at lunch.

By the way, I ordered a Velorta for warm season use (and still think I'd prefer it) but ended up with the Juggernaut as the Velorta was on extended back-order at the time. Now I need a jersey to wear over the armor jacket for summer.

In hind-sight, I might have liked the Motoport Body Guard Jacket better -- just top with jersey or coat appropriate for the ride/elements: http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=product&pid=122&cid=12&Itemid=15
thumb.php

I love my Troy Lee 7850 hot weather shirt and 5550 elbow/forearm guards. I wear them under anything.

Back