• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Assignment #103: Background (ENTRY)

Reaction score
Use this thread for posting your ENTRY for Assignment #103: Background.

Please refrain from commenting on photographs (yours and others) in this thread until after the winner has been selected. Any comments posted prior to the announcement of a winner will be deleted without warning.

For discussion and comments visit Assignment #103: Background (COMMENTS)

Your photograph has to have been taken between now and Monday, March 25th at midnight.

011-6_zpse2383723.jpg

The original assignment was:
"Most [professionals] know the importance of background in photography. This assignment puts the emphasis on that principle. Any subject may be in the foreground and the background may be of your choice. However, I will favor motorcycles shot against a natural background of stone, dirt, rock, cut bank or rusted steel and so on. The ideal background should contrast with and complement the subject and not be distracting... no-scene, backdrops... uh, no, not what I'm looking for."

The comments thread ran three pages with a lot of good discussion and pictures. Too many comments on my part, but I hope everyone enjoyed it, stretched a little and possibly look at things differently when composing a picture. The nominees are:

stealthcrf: The teal painted masonry wall sets off the silver D1000 and adds visual interest without competing with the subject. This picture meets all the requirements. Metallic colored bikes are difficult to shoot because they tend to mirror the colors around them and try to disappear. This one pops. Minor distraction where the wall is shorter on the left.

achesley: It is an interesting sign, but to my eye, the sign became the subject and a dual-sport was blocking part of the view.

jar675: Vertigo is the name I gave this picture. Very disorienting and couldn't take my eyes off it. Looking forward to learning about this shot.

TJtexasjack: I waxed poetic about this already. It reminds me of Japanese wall hangings (an example). It meets the requirements bang on. Going black and white gives the bike more sensuous curves against the flat background. The artistic shadow pulls the viewer into the bike. The picture would look fabulous if it was four feet long hanging in an art gallery. My only reservation is we are viewing it through small horizontal rectangles.

Jeff S: The ranch sign is handsome, but competes with the motorcycle. Not sure which is the subject.

Tim_Cannon: The tree branches are busy and distracting to me. The Connie looks good.

Tourmeister: Scott, you're killing me. Adorable little heart breaker, good use of the Azaleas, but I have to go with a motorcycle picture.

The envelope please... (silence rolls over the audience, quiet coughing)
The award goes to: stealthcrf and the Teal Wall!

Beautiful shot with the teal wall, my fav. Congrats. Love to see motorcycles getting back into the action here.

Congrats, stealthcrf! :clap:

I realized last night that the very few pictures I took two weekends ago were reformatted and never made it onto my computer. Oh well, my entry would have sucked anyway. :lol2:

Not only is it a pretty color combination, it's gritty, and it's real.

Congratulations stealthcrf! :clap:

Congradualations Stealthcrf Very nice picture I loved the Patina from the wall compared to the clean lines of the bike.

Big Thank you to Mad Mac for bringing a great assignment to the table and I learned a lot.

Ok guys ya got me hooked Stealthcrf what's the next assignment?

Ride safe, Keep sharp.
Tj

Thanks all! Truth be told, I liked Tourmeister's entry better, but I'll take a W any way I can get it :rofl: If you follow the DFW tag game, this shot is on the west wall of the last building I tagged.

New assignment forthcoming!

Back