• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Disaster on the TAT

SL350

Reaction score
This guy gets HURT on the video. I don't think I have ever seen this kind of trail video and it sure takes a bit of the glamour out of the Trans America Trail (TAT) for me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BOOxl8jQhc"]End of my Western TAT trip (bad crash) - YouTube[/ame]

How come some Youtubes show the projector and some the link when we post?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a moment where he blacks out and his head drops to the ground. That was a scary moment. It could also have been a long day had he not climbed back to the road.

This is why you do not ride off-road alone!! ***** happens, fortunately his partner finds him and it ends okay. Utah is one of the prettiest states to ride the TAT (Colorado was the nicest in my opinion) but it is challenging, there are also bypasses on most of the TAT to avoid difficult sections, so you need to decide what you real abilities are and choose accordingly. Where he fell was really not that difficult, he was just unlucky (Maybe not looking far enough ahead) that he ended up crashing like that. No-one should take the TAT lightly, it is a very physical track, but even my friend Steve (Who has ridden off-road maybe 6 times) was able to ride that section without crashing, so a lot of it is down to skill and some of it is down to good luck/judgement.. I also recommend carrying a SPOT at all times in case something like that does happen.. Dont let this put you off, the TAT is worth riding.. :rider:

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
I recognize that moan... I don't think it is possible to keep it inside. It comes from wayyyy down inside you. Been there, done that. Wasn't fun.

He wasn't hurt too bad if he was able to get up and walk away, and you know what they say, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!" ;-)

Last edited:
we all take risks everyday, he was lucky

cool video!!!

EMS on quads got out to him in 70 minutes. In the middle of nowhere. Amazing!

What would have happen before there were SPOT and cellphone?

Darrell called 911 and got confirmation that help had been mobilized due to the SPOT 911 alert and he was able to provide more information about the situation and my condition. He then called my wife and his wife to give them an update. This was smart as the SPOT call center folks called Sherry to say the 911 button had been pressed and she had called Darrell's wife, but they had no more details until Darrell had called to let them know it was me who was hurt, but was conscious and without obvious traumatic injuries. Darrell then returned to my location.

Maybe 70-80 minutes after pressing the 911 button, a small bike came up the trail and the rider asked if this was the accident scene. A few minutes later two more bikes came up with two EMS folks as passengers and they proceeded to check me over. The noticed my breathing was labored and hooked me up to an oxygen tank and put on a neck brace as a precaution.

Maybe 15 minutes later a bigger quad came down the trail. I think it belonged to the Sheriff's department. It was a side by side type with backboard mounted over the passenger side. They strapped me in and I had a very painful 30 minute ride up to the interstate where an ambulance awaited.

(Sorry I'm a slow writer. More tomorrow)

The above was quoted from the accident rider's report on ADV.

Veteran SPOT owners will find this boring so skip it. It's really for those who are on the fence about getting a SPOT device, and others who might have one but don't really explore its potential.

Some words on the SPOT (referring to SPOT 2)

In addition to the 911 button, there are three other buttons, not including the power button, on the SPOT worth talking about in the context of dire situations. Tracking, Help, and Custom.

The latter two buttons are configurable with the owner's own message (custom is longer than Help) but more importantly, unlike even the 911 button, can be tweaked with email and cell phone contact targets to the owner's needs and desires.

So for example, if you're riding out in Big Bend and your bike quits working, you can press the Help button and anyone and everyone you've listed on your SPOT account will receive your ping and whatever words you tweaked into that message.

My impression is that many people don't really take advantage of this capability to the fullest, and might go right to the 911 button. Riders with SPOT devices should create a healthy list of contacts for this feature, and let those contacts know in advance what they would like to happen.

So back to the example, if my bike petered out somewhere on River Road, being out of cell phone range, I would press the Help button and my list of contacts would get a SPOT email/text message with my coordinates. My contacts know in advance two important things: that the SPOT message contains my GPS coordinates, and that my sending a Help message means I'm not medically critical but I do want to be hauled out of a remote location before a lot of time goes by. All my contacts know, in advance, that they can enter the SPOT-sent GPS coordinates into Google Maps and see wherever I am at that moment. Further, they're aware that there are different formats used for GPS coordinate systems and to be aware of that if it comes up. So far the reader can see that for a SPOT device to be fully effective, there is a bit of coordination necessary between the owner and his "team".

SPOT offers Roadside Assistance which takes over the Help button but I'm not going to get into that here.

The other button, known as "Custom", is an often underused or misused tool. Here, the owner can set a longer message, and again, create his own unique list of recipients using email and cell phone text messages. The possibilities are endless here, but the message has to be thought out in advance as the message can't be tweaked in the field to suit a particular situation. As with the Help button, these features are only effective if the owner/rider has entered a healthy list of recipients and their contact information, and has worked out a "what to do if you get this" arrangement with them in advance.

When I ride Mexico, my wife knows she is the primary "do something" person in the event a message is received from my SPOT. But, I have a cadre of other folks who will also "get the message" and who can look at the GPS coordinates and call her and they together can discuss where I am and what to do. True, in Mexico, the "what to do" may be limited from the states, but at least everyone will know where I am. My custom message in Mexico usually leans towards the sentiment that the bike needs wrenching but I am fine, so don't worry that the tracking isn't continuing like it has.

Tracking: A lot of folks don't want to pay the extra fee for this but I love it for the "fun" factor but my wife loves it for the "comfort" factor. When I'm riding Mexico, Guatemala etc. she can click on a link and "see" me wherever I am. If I get kidnapped by narcos (I kid here but some will pucker at my joke) at least she'll know my last route and be able to tell the FBI and the State Department where I was. A lot of us depend on the good will of our loved ones to let us go riding and I think doing our part to reassure and stay connected with our loved ones is huge. And tracking means they can decide to sit down at the computer and "see" where we are, not just wait by the phone for a call or wait for an email.

On the bike or on the body: There is no real "right" answer to this. SPOT owners don't even have to have the unit on, just carry it in a backpack and turn it on to press 911. Yes I've read the "on the bike on the body" debates ad nauseum and each side has its proponents. In this case of this guy going over the cliff one might say it would be best to have the SPOT on the body versus the bike, but overall the variables probably mean what's best for you is best for you.

The simplest SPOT formula is to at least have one on you with good batteries, and press 911 in every situation. If you're not traveling with one set of spare SPOT batteries you're doing it wrong.

The point of my post is to reaffirm that there is a whole host of other options the SPOT provides, provided that you think through the possibilities in advance and that you develop a "team" or a circle of good friends who will know in advance what the SPOT messages look like and how you want them to react.

Spot is great when it works, but I wouldn't depend on it after hearing Graeme and Mike's stories when they were on their divide ride. Both a Gen1 and Gen2 failed to work with 100% visibility and not a cloud in the sky.

Is it a great product, sure it is. Should you rely solely on the hope that it will work and help will come when you need it.... not a chance.

Just watched "On Any Sunday." Desert racer build a small bonfire to call for help.

How does the little bitty SPOT have enough juice to send a powerful enough signal to satellites in outer space?

That line "where the f*** is the road?" is gonna be burned in
my mind like "we're gonna need a bigger boat"

EPIC

Yeah, but what about flares to go in it?:giveup::lol2:

i-kmhZmSs-M.jpg

Got me there!

Ham radio is another useful, usually overlooked, form of emergency communication. Same with sat phone rentals.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've taken a sat phone to Mexico. Once.

Too bulky and costly.

Plus you can call one number at a time, and battery limited (quickly)

SPOT can "broadcast" to multiple numbers/emails

Better battery durability

Compact

Sat phone has no tracking feature

Disclaimer: YMMV

Just watched "On Any Sunday." Desert racer build a small bonfire to call for help.

How does the little bitty SPOT have enough juice to send a powerful enough signal to satellites in outer space?

When the satellites are overhead it doesn't take a whole lot of power to transmit line of sight. It's not like you are trying to transmit via High Frequency to someone hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I've never had a tracking or message send problem with my 1st gen spot. It pretty much rides in my tankbag or hiking pack all the time.

If you want to trust your life to a spot go ahead that is not my call.
I have now been personel involved in 4 situations where a SPOT was activiated and it failed to get a message or 911 call out. All cases we were in the open with no hills or trees with 5 miles. (one was even at the start of Old Marathon road just 20 miles north of Study Butte in Big Bend). When I do my next big dirt ride (aka TAT or CDT) I am renting a satelite phone, IMHO its just not worth wondering if that message for help got thru since my SPOT experiences are 0 for 4

I've never hear of a situation where the spot did not work providing that there is ability to communicate with a satellite (not in a canyon, heavy coverage, etc.)

But remember that not all 911 county officials that you depend on for your rescue (Esp New Mexico) know how to spell GPS or have a clue of what to do with GPS cords.

I would depend more on your circle of friends on your SPOT message. And that they know to post your location on this or ad rider boards.

I have found the SPOT roadside assistance to be pretty good too. I broke down in Big Bend on Maverick road and I used Spot to summon a wrecker. Even though I was on a gravel road in the big bend natl park, they had actually dispatched someone to come get me. A fellow rider came by and was able to get me running so I called and canceled the wrecker.

I recommend SPOT, but as previously stated. Don't depend on it as your only means of rescue. It is simply one more tool that may help.

Back