• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Seriously thinking about getting an older 1250S, and have a few ?s

Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently ride an '07 Ducati GT1000, which I love, but am selling because I'd like something with more sport touring capability and lower maintenance costs. I've always been a twin fan because I love torque, but I hear that in addition to being a great all-rounder with low maintenance costs, the 1250S has awesome torque, and that the relatively low hp (for a big inline 4 anyway) isn't indicative of it's true performance. They also sound like they get gas mileage more like a twin than a typical inline 4.

Maintenance on my GT is pretty high. Service intervals are 7,500 miles, and vary from around $750 - $1100, depending on the interval. From what I've read, maintenance on the 1250S sounds a lot lower, partly because of the 15,000 mile intervals.

Can you guys give me an idea of what dealers typically charge for a major service?

Also, I'd like to at least do my own oil/filter changes, spark plugs, maybe clutch/brake fluid changes. Is this stuff easy on these bikes?

And . . . how would you rate these bikes on ease of more in-depth maintenance like valve adjustments, clutch adjustments, etc.? Is stuff easy or hard to access and work on?

How about their sport tourability? I've heard the stock seat isn't too comfy, but other than that, are they pretty good at racking up big trouble-free miles?

Also, is the parts availability forecast good?

Finally, I'm hoping insurance would be pretty low and that they're categorized as a "standard" by most companies. Is this the case?

Thanks in advance for helping with these questions, and offering any other info you think might be useful in helping me determine if a 1250S might work for me.

Greg

I'll let the more experienced guys answer your questions but one of the main reasons we own this bike is because is is so simple to take care of and yes it has a lot of torque!

My 1250 doesn't have the torque of my Aprilia 2005 Tuono or anyway
near the sports capabilities .
What it does have is an ability to be very good all the time ,while
the tuono can be annoying in places it doesn't suit .
Maintains on the Bandit is zero if you know what a ring spanner is .
Mine 51,000 kls all home serviced .No shims replaced .(needed)
Their good but a bit heavy .
Id buy another one .(esp. if lighter )

Oh ,the fuel guage was made by the devil but i'm the only one who thinks so .

Wow! What can I say BAD about my '07 1250S I traded an '07 DL1000 on? Course I'm getting close to 70 years old so my wants for a bike to do now is way different than my wants in my teens , though the years. LOL! As a mileage eating bike, on all kinds of roads, I've not had any better at it's price. Saying this because I rode BMW R11**Gs for 11 years and nothing equals their front suspension to me. The just priced themselves out of my old budget. ;-) . Over 65,000 miles on my Bandit and biggest expense has been tires. Better now with the Mich PR2s giving my 12,000 miles and better per set. Course, I'm pretty nice to my tires and the bike in general now days. Chain and sprockets > first set went 24,000 and was out of adjustment, next set, I had near 34,000 and still good but changed due to a trip coming up at the time. Probably could of left them on for a lot longer. Sync'd the TB's once at about 14,000 I think, Been so long ago I forgot. Valves, never looked at yet. Probably won't as I've never heard of anyone having to change a shim on this motor yet. Course, that just me and gambling, but, I think a very safe gamble. The engine is the high on this bike. Torque from 2500 on up. Just open the throttle and go in any gear. Fuel mileage has been from 36 mpg fighting a 40 mph head wind at 80 mph to 56 mpg tooling about the mountains in Montana to New Mexico. Normal 70-75 mileage on touring is in the mid 40's. I've put the corbin seat on it right fast when buying it and up to 2" risers on the handlebars,. plus my windshield combo makes it better for the long haul and able to stand on the pegs for bumps or gravel roads. One of the best bikes I've had of the many I have had. You really need to try it. ;-)

Wow achesley, that's awesome news! Much as I love my Duc, I'm tired of figuring out ways to pay for the upkeep without going broke. I'm also a huge fan of the Mich PR2s, and as a fairly conservative rider, I think the 1250S would treat me right in the gas mileage department too!

You couldn't go wrong! Fun bike with an attitude - if you want. Tour at leisure or thrill the heck out of ya. I've ridden many and this is the most durable and versatile. I live for the way I can cruise as a gentleman or cut up like a hooligan!

?..........Can you guys give me an idea of what dealers typically charge for a major service?

If you have basic mechanical skills, you can do everything yourself except valve clearances, which are done every 24,000 km (15,000 miles). Even then, few need adjustment. Fluid changes and plugs are well within the reach of the average handyman, especially if you get a manual

Also, I'd like to at least do my own oil/filter changes, spark plugs, maybe clutch/brake fluid changes. Is this stuff easy on these bikes?

Very easy. Even I can do it. (Check my blog http://kewwibike.blogspot.com)

And . . . how would you rate these bikes on ease of more in-depth maintenance like valve adjustments, clutch adjustments, etc.? Is stuff easy or hard to access and work on?

Clutch doesn't need adjusting. Valves are shims and take a bit more knowledge. Easy access for most stuff. Literally oil changes, the occasional plug and air filter and not much else.

How about their sport tourability? I've heard the stock seat isn't too comfy, but other than that, are they pretty good at racking up big trouble-free miles?

Very good. Massively over-engineered, under-stressed engine. Breakages are rare and I haven't heard of a worn out one yet. Most mechanical issues have been the occasional starter motor or owner related ham fistedness.

They are comfortable, but the stock seat can get a bit tough on the behind. A Sargent or Corbin fixes that. I have the Suzuki OEM gel seat. Hard luggage transforms them, but there's plenty of soft luggage options too. They are easy to work on and ride and I think of them as a Swiss Army Knife in that they do everything well, but nothing exceedingly so except value for money and great torque.

The engine stock is smooth and quiet, putting out a fraction under 100hp. It is easily transformed with an aftermarket muffler, air filter and simple mods to the intake and fuel system to give significantly better power and torque and no reduced rideability (see Dale Walker's Stage 1 and 2 mods). It responds well to farkling.

The ABS model gives a better level of safety and works well. Wet road, sudden braking, no worries. Pads are easily replaced for better braking, and there's plenty of aftermarket rotors available.

The headlight on the S model isn't wonderful, but HID conversions are very cheap and turn the candlelight glow into a laser cannon for less than $25.

Also, is the parts availability forecast good?
The GSF1250 is still being manufactured new in some countries (here in NZ you can get them new alongside the GSX1250FA), and there's always plenty being dismantled for parts on EBay. Consumables are cheap with a lot of aftermarket equivalents and plenty of discussion on the forums about what is better or worse than anything else. They are very popular internationally and I think parts will be easily available for a long time.

Finally, I'm hoping insurance would be pretty low and that they're categorized as a "standard" by most companies. Is this the case?
It varies from what I can see, but generally yes. Not being American, I can't help much more on that one!

Thanks in advance for helping with these questions, and offering any other info you think might be useful in helping me determine if a 1250S might work for me.

Get one. Cheap, extremely good value for money, fun to ride with power in the real world riding bracket. You won't regret it.

Greg

Greg, see my comments in your quoted questions above. Check my blog for an example of what can be done to one of these, and mine is basic compared with what some people have done to theirs (e.g. Scott, a.k.a. Metrick Metal).

kewwig - thanks for your detailed response! Very helpful info, and I look forward to checking out your blog.

Tazman2 - your insurance info is better than what my current insurer (Foremost) just quoted me. They quoted nearly $700/yr - over $400 more than I'm paying for the Ducati!! Turns out they rate the Bandit as class C - Performance rather than class A - Standard. If you don't mind my asking Tazman2, who insures your Bandit?

Well, my last bike was an RC51 which is a 1000cc 90 degree twin and when I got my bandit 1250 I couldn't believe how much more torque the bandit had...I mean, it made my rc feel slow just by how instantly it pulls from low speeds in any gear any rpm...

The gas mileage, another thing that surprised me (RC was horrible)I average anywhere from 45-48 mpg and have gone as high as 52 mpg on the highway at 60-65 mph.

Other things I like..It's pretty comfy (could be improved but it's not bad). Turbine quiet engine, ultra smooth, smoothest running bike I've ever ridden....Maintenance is pretty simple and straight forward...Basic stuff not as easy as a harley but for an I4 it's good. Spark plugs my first time took me 3 hours and I take my time but luckily the plugs were fine for 16,000 miles. Another thing I like is that this has been the most reliable motorcycle I've ever owned as nothing has ever gone wrong, not even loose bolts.

Valves, at over 30,000 miles I haven't checked them...Probably should but everyone that has reported their checks at even high miles all were in spec..

It's just a really good all around bike that's surprisingly cheap to buy...Mine is completely stock except for the windscreen...It does everything I like...It's quiet and smooth, handles well, comfy for me, and I don't have to break the speed limit or search for a specific gear or rpm to enjoy strong pulling power...

I have progressive through a agent from the dealership I bought it which for some reason was always cheaper then going straight to either of the major insurance companies! I'd ask about a insurance agent wherever your looking dealer wise at a Bandit! :)

Have you ridden one yet? If not, you should head up to CTPS in Georgetown and ride the one I traded in a few months ago.

http://www.ctpowersports.com/shop/suzuki/2007-suzuki-gsx1250f/

They're asking too much for it, but I'm sure they'd let you take it out and spend some quality time with it and get a good feel for how the 1250 behaves if you act interested enough. It's not like putting a few more miles on it is going to do anything at this point...

trey

kewwig - thanks for your detailed response! Very helpful info, and I look forward to checking out your blog.

Tazman2 - your insurance info is better than what my current insurer (Foremost) just quoted me. They quoted nearly $700/yr - over $400 more than I'm paying for the Ducati!! Turns out they rate the Bandit as class C - Performance rather than class A - Standard. If you don't mind my asking Tazman2, who insures your Bandit?

I thought California was expensive. I pay little over 500 per year, 2007 Bandit and a 2002 BMW F650, both full coverage, no tickets, Progressive.

I'm paying about $480 is at the moment but thats because where I live. Before I moved it was about $380 then moved 3 miles down the road to a not so great area town wise and insurance went up to like $680 for the 1st year now back to $480ish. Like I said find a agent at the stealers! They can get you huge cuts! If I called geico right now they'd say AT LEAST $750+ if not more!!

Have you ridden one yet? If not, you should head up to CTPS in Georgetown and ride the one I traded in a few months ago.

http://www.ctpowersports.com/shop/suzuki/2007-suzuki-gsx1250f/

They're asking too much for it, but I'm sure they'd let you take it out and spend some quality time with it and get a good feel for how the 1250 behaves if you act interested enough. It's not like putting a few more miles on it is going to do anything at this point...

trey

Hey trey - yeah I saw that one. So that was yours, huh? I haven't ridden one yet, so if it's still available when I get my Duc sold I'll check it out.

I'm paying about $480 is at the moment but thats because where I live. Before I moved it was about $380 then moved 3 miles down the road to a not so great area town wise and insurance went up to like $680 for the 1st year now back to $480ish. Like I said find a agent at the stealers! They can get you huge cuts! If I called geico right now they'd say AT LEAST $750+ if not more!!

Yeah, I got quote from Progressive for $370, which is actually a few $/month less than I'm paying on my GT1000. Allstate was pretty close too, but at this point I'd probably go with Progressive because of their disappearing deductible.

Of course this is just Liability but with State Farm in Louisiana. I'm paying 102 for each of my bikes. The 00 KLR and the 07 Bandit.

One more question guys. Besides Cycle Trader, Yakaz, searching Craigslist by city, TWT classifieds - does anyone have a suggestion for finding a 1250S for sale?

That Ft. Collins bike looks like quite a deal and
I'd certainly consider it if it's still available when I sell my Duc. Heck, there's an '07 non-ABS stocker with 58k in my area that's selling for the same price. Even after shipping or fly-n-buy expenses, the out of state deals just look better.

Thanks Pacodog! That's a great price on a gently used '09. I just hope some of these great Bandit deals are still around when I get my Duc sold.

Back