• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Is this normal for BMW's?

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
The whole final drive issue has me a little leary of my KRS and there doesn't appear to be any definative answer on what to look for as a precurser to a final drive failure. After the 300 mile round trip to Glen Rose, I noticed a spray pattern on the drive shaft side of the rim. The final drive gear oil is at the proper level and I'm not used to having silver wheels, so is this normal? I see no other evidence of leaks.

Attachments

• DSCN0021.JPG
    DSCN0021.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 196
I wouldn't worry about that little it of dirt one bit. I'm not even sure that isn't just some road grime that got flung on your wheel. Even if it is gear lube, a little escaping once in a while is to be expected.

You will see a heavy dose of seriously grungy oil when the seal is going out.

From 2002 on, I've had a BMW....an 02 R1150R and now an 04 RT. IMO, it's brake dust and or road grime. The silver wheels get dirty easily. I suspect you know what gear oil smells like.....wipe you finger across it and take a whiff. I do change my fluids more than the recommended intervals and have noticed the rear end fluid is dirtier at the 1st change or 2 (break in?). Also when I purchase gear oil for the tranny or rear drive, I get 75/140 from the dealer. The manual specs 90 weight I think. I feel better with the heavier 75/140, especially in the Texas heat. YMMV. Hope this helps.

No, this is what you look for.

Img_2218.jpg

But this was the fault of a service visit gone wrong. Just ride it.:rider:

txmedic said:
The whole final drive issue has me a little leary of my KRS and there doesn't appear to be any definative answer on what to look for as a precurser to a final drive failure. After the 300 mile round trip to Glen Rose, I noticed a spray pattern on the drive shaft side of the rim. The final drive gear oil is at the proper level and I'm not used to having silver wheels, so is this normal? I see no other evidence of leaks.
You have had it long enough.Time to trade!

:tab I am going to go against what others have said. Mine looked like that before it went. Oil was totally topped off. I had just a hint of spray on the rim. Scarcely five miles later it came apart abruptly in a corner at 70mph... Call me paranoid, but I would at least pull the rear wheel and inspect the seal area. It you really want to check it, contact Irondawg. He knows how to pull them apart. Better safe than sorry. I got lucky when mine came apart and was able to control the bike to get it stopped.

My '02 1150R had a graphite-like misty residue on the rear drive just beyond the boot. Rear seal failure repaired under warranty.

Kurt,
All I see is some brake dust and road grime. If you actually see oil on the rim, then you want to investigate. If you are really concerned, take it to the dealer. If you don't like the guys in Austin, then take to Wild West Honda on I-10 in Houston. They run a good shop.

Also, after you have flipped it a few times, you might have to worry. ;-)

Last edited:
I PM'd Jeffie and he looked at the picture and thinks it is just dust and grime. He told me (as did Irondawg) to pull the wheel and look at the seal for a final determination.

You can still use it as an excuse to trade it in for something else...

If you rode it more and cleaned it less you would not even be able to see such a small about of brake dust.:lol2:

Washing and polishing is what HD's are for.:yawn:

BMW's are for riding.:rider:

Trade that sucker in on a GS! They look good with dirt on the wheels, you will be able to relax and ride the darn thing.

Also, after you have flipped it a few times, you might have to worry.

HAH! My rear drive failed long before I flipped the bike :nana:

Tourmeister said:
Scarcely five miles later it came apart abruptly in a corner at 70mph...

When it "came apart", what did it do? Lock the wheel? Make coffee grinder noises?

I ride my GS like this will not happen, but I have heard about it too many times to *really* put it out of my mind.

The wheel continued rotating and oscillated around the hub in a pretty violent up and down motion. Apparently, the bearing retainer ring just disintegrated and took the seal with it. There were no warning vibrations or noises.

The latest edition of BMW ON has a great article about rear drive failure and repair. It seems that BMW is now specing a dirrerent bearing (17 ball as opposed to the original 19 ball) when making repairs. It also gives instructions on self-repair and and diagnosing imminent failure before the obvious signs appear.

I am sure BMW is still quite careful not to admit there was a systemic problem with the original bearings :lol2:

EricJRW said:
I guess I should know this, but what is "BMW ON"?

Thanks

The magazine you get when you join BMW Motorcycle Owner's Association. It's a very nice and well written glossy magazine that rivals any of the other moto-mags.

txmedic said:
The magazine you get when you join BMW Motorcycle Owner's Association. It's a very nice and well written glossy magazine that rivals any of the other moto-mags.

Do they need a female column writer? They can give me a BMW, I won't mind. :trust:

Back