• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1974 Suzuki TM400

SilverBullet

never slow down...you never grow old
Reaction score
Wanting to re-explore the genre of motorcycling from my youth, I've been on the search for a vintage MX bike. My thinking being that Vintage MX racing and over 50 class will be more fun than competition. So after having scoured the internet for months I found this gem. I wanted to stay true to my Jap bike upbringing and this bike was the shazilla in my day. My best riding buddy bought one of these brand new in '74. He let me ride it once and my eyes didn't return into their sockets for about 2 days.

1974 Suzuki TM400 aka "The Widowmaker"
on its way from Columbus OH to new Texas home.

2013-03-31155250_zps86f5412d.jpg

This is an original unmolested survivor bike, not restored one bit. In fact the only non original part on the bike is a larger rear sprocket. Yes, even the tires and handgrips were factory original showing how truly a low hour bike this was.

Temp006_zps91e90ec8.jpg

Temp003_zps7e627d44.jpg

I also have the original numbers matching MSO for the bike.

IM000892_zps0eaeb48b.jpg

I completely went over the bike mechanically, flushing & changing all fluids, cleaning carb, tank, air filter, new plug, fresh gas, new tires and it fired and roared to life without much issue. Dang I forgot how vicious this beast is to kickstart.

"The Man" himself was at Rio Bravo last Sunday so how fitting to have him sign the front number plate and to snap some photos. He rode the factory racing version of this bike (far removed from this production bike) to 5 World Titles back in the early 70's. Roger DeCoster was far and away the biggest name for us back then.

Temp013_zps4861213b.jpg

Temp010_zps28fea23b.jpg

I'm really looking forward to doing some events with this bike. I'm sure to take many holeshots but will probably still have my share of last place finishes. Ok by me though as I'll be smiling at the finish line and still have all my bones intact to race another day.

_

Good 4 you Bullet , Nice bike , nice find , Nice everything , The only thing I woulda tried to do was find myself in the same picture with Decoster and the bike .

Sheesh.............some guys are a glutton for punishment! I got scars to prove what a TM400 can do to you. Good find though. How did Roger D like it?

Wow that is very very nice. Hard to find those older mxers in that shape. I see why you went so far to get it. Second on getting yourself in the pic with RD. He tore the tracks up back then and I bet still does. Drew

The only thing I woulda tried to do was find myself in the same picture with Decoster and the bike .

I planned on it but then I forgot and started clicking extra photos instead of handing the camera off to someone else. :doh:

Always next year though. For those that don't know Rio Bravo always hosts a Family Fun Day the day following the Houston Supercross. Roger is always there as he's friends with the owner. Usually a few other old time racers as well. Last year Kent Howerton and Steve Wise were there in addition to Roger.

_

Very cool SB! Nice find!

Getting the sig on the number plate is even cooler.

I had the TS version back in the late 70's. Tons of fun. Took it to San Diego on the bumper of a Pontiac LeMans on icy roads from Texas to Arizona. The weight of the bike on the rear axle saved my bacon on that trip.

Your bike would look good as art in the house.

Congrats

hey SB

that is one cool bike (1974 TM 400 )

IT MITE BE WORTH MORE KNOW because RODGER signed it...:trust:

sweet bike.........:thumb:

know all ya need is a HONDA ELSINORE......:pirate:

.....lonnie...:rider:

I've never considered myself the jealous type... until now! I had a 72 TS-400 and for some reason it really stands out in my motorcycle memory.

All I can say is Wow! Congrats!

know all ya need is a HONDA ELSINORE......

There was a '74 or '75 CR250 Elsinore in the back of a pickup truck at Rio Bravo on Sunday. Missing wheels, front fender and carb but everything else that was there i.e. frame, engine, gas tank, seat, rear fender, looked brand spanking new.

I had a '74 CR125 Elsinore, fun bike but unpowered for me riding in the desert.

_

Wow, what a find! Very rare to see one that nice!

A buddy of mine got a TM400 back then, I think it was in 1972. I got to ride it a couple of times, and I remember wondering how anyone could control all that power and stay on the track. All I could make it do was wheelie or spin the rear wheel! :eek2:

And with DeCoster's sig on the plate and everything! Congrats!

What a great post! Has made my broken shoulder feel a lot better! Would love to meet Mr
DeCoster. Remember all the open class world championships on ABC Wide World of Sports when we all wanted to see Roger on those bright yellow works Suzukis?! Simpler days ...

Last edited:
What a great post! Has made my broken shoulder feel a lot better! Would love to meet Mr
DeCoster. Remember all the open class world championships on ABC Wide World of Sports when we all wanted to Roger on those bright yellow works Suzukis?! Simpler days ...

That brought back memories....Wide world of sports...spanning the globe....good stuff kojack....rest that shoulder. Drew

Now that is what I call a totally awesome bike, with an equally awesome story.

I had a 1972 TS185 back in the mid and late 70's......always wanted a Honda......my friends all had Honda's........now I have a Honda and I am happy........If I had more bikes I would be happier!

NICE :clap: I had a 78 DS 185 and a 79 RM 400 . Never rode a TM though.

I've never considered myself the jealous type... until now! I had a 72 TS-400 and for some reason it really stands out in my motorcycle memory.

All I can say is Wow! Congrats!

Yeah, no kidding! I thought about checking Snopes to be sure this was not someone's fantasy. Talk about amazing!

SB , bring it next time you come to ride down here :rider: I wont crash it :flip:

PS ANSWER YOUR PHONE :hack:

Back