• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yoshimura exhaust question

Reaction score
I am very protective of my Bandit, and want it treated properly. I bought it a few weeks ago, and it does have a Yoshi slip added on. Upon deceleration, there is quite a lot of popping noise (backfiring). I don't mind this, but I just want to make sure this is not causing any possibility of engine damage. The pipe was on there when I purchased. I think it's an RS-3 (it does say race only printed on the underside). Please advise if I should be looking for another pipe to increase longevity of my bike. I tried to add a picture of the pipe, but my computer is not cooperating for the attachment.
Thanks.

Usually a symptom of the PAIR valve in conjunction with the free flowing exhaust. Remove that valve, plug all ports and most of the popping should go away.

Disclaimer: I can't speak for those new-fangled water-cooled/fuel injected things but I know some that can will do just that.

I am very protective of my Bandit, and want it treated properly. I bought it a few weeks ago, and it does have a Yoshi slip added on. Upon deceleration, there is quite a lot of popping noise (backfiring). I don't mind this, but I just want to make sure this is not causing any possibility of engine damage. The pipe was on there when I purchased. I think it's an RS-3 (it does say race only printed on the underside). Please advise if I should be looking for another pipe to increase longevity of my bike. I tried to add a picture of the pipe, but my computer is not cooperating for the attachment.
Thanks.

Yoshis will pop, and it is simply unburned fuel igniting in the pipe and won't cause any damage. You just don't hear it in the heavily baffled stock can.

The simple fix is to go to the right hand side of the bike and peer under the tank and you will see a rubber hose going from the airbox to the PAIR valve on the front of the cam cover. There's a joint just in front of the right hand throttle body. Separate the joint and plug the pipe with a rubber bung or suitably sized bolt and then reassemble. No more popping and no issues with running.

PAIR removal kits get rid of the valve and piping, but a plug works just as well.

There's pics here: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51908&highlight=Blocking+PAIR

You don't need to remove the tank. Once you identify the pipe you can pull it close enough to do the deed. It's one of the easiest mods!

What year is your Bandit? I have a '97 1200 which is a 1st Gen without the PAIR system with an RS-3 and it pops also from being a little lean. (I like a little popping myself so I haven't richened up my A/F mix) From what I understand the PAIR equipped bikes are much worse until you block that off.

As noted plug the rubber hose a lot less work then pulling the PAIR! I'm stage 2 and that was part of the setup and the popping went away al though the popping did help keep idiots off my a** so I kinda miss it! :D

Thanks for the info. I don't mind the popping as long as I know this will not cause any damage to any engine components if I leave it the way it is...correct? Good link though, I may end up doing it after all.

Yoshis will pop, and it is simply unburned fuel igniting in the pipe and won't cause any damage. You just don't hear it in the heavily baffled stock can.

The simple fix is to go to the right hand side of the bike and peer under the tank and you will see a rubber hose going from the airbox to the PAIR valve on the front of the cam cover. There's a joint just in front of the right hand throttle body. Separate the joint and plug the pipe with a rubber bung or suitably sized bolt and then reassemble. No more popping and no issues with running.

PAIR removal kits get rid of the valve and piping, but a plug works just as well.

There's pics here: http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51908&highlight=Blocking+PAIR

You don't need to remove the tank. Once you identify the pipe you can pull it close enough to do the deed. It's one of the easiest mods!

I have a Yoshi can and PC3 but don't have any popping. I 'll have to check mine this weekend and see if it is blocked off. Thanks for the link with pictures!

Thanks for the insight. I want as many opinions as possible about good options to the OEM exhaust. I'm looking for something fairly quiet, and not as annoying as my current Yoshi. I may try to get the low volume insert and see how much that helps. Other than that, what are some good OEM look/sounds options? Thanks.

Thanks for the insight. I want as many opinions as possible about good options to the OEM exhaust. I'm looking for something fairly quiet, and not as annoying as my current Yoshi. I may try to get the low volume insert and see how much that helps. Other than that, what are some good OEM look/sounds options? Thanks.

What year Bandit is it? Anything aftermarket is going to be much louder than stock. Try the insert, on my Yosh it makes a considerable difference.

The Yosh Tri oval I had bought off ebay for my 1250S Bandit didn't have an insert. Lost some bottom end torque with the lost in back pressure. Made my own 1" insert and attached it with a small screw. Much better. Got my low end torque back. And quieter also. Less popping on deacceleration also. Once in Wyoming, I lost the first insert I had just jammed in there. Knew it right away when getting off the gas down a pass and the popping show began.

Thanks for all the info guys. I found an insert on ebay and just ordered. I am excited to see/hear the difference once it arrives.

Update: I received the low volume insert today. It did make a difference in the noise level. Now it sounds good, and not so buzzy. Thanks for the info guys.

When I had the Fazer, the Akropovics were great and the db inserts made a big difference.

Sent by Tapatalk

My bike came with an RS3 but the insert had been removed. I just ordered one from the link the Kewi put up.

Thanks!

My recently purchased Bandit has an RS-3 that popped on decel as well. I didn't much care for it so today I blocked off the PAIR with an earplug after changing plugs and cleaning the air filter. No more popping!

Back