• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Waco to Boulder

Reaction score
Mid to late June I'm heading to Colorado. Starting point, Boulder, to be exact. I'm looking for suggestions for places to stay/eat between there and Waco. I'll be leaving Waco mid to late afternoon on a Friday, so I'll probably go hwy6 to Sweetwater, 84 north to avoid DFW rush hour traffic.. I'm looking for a place that's secure, reasonably priced and/or has decent food nearby. Say four to six hours, maybe as far as eight hours, from Waco headed that direction. I'm also looking for the same on the return trip, out of Boulder headed to Waco. Since the last day of return will be a Sunday, interstate thru Fort Worth is possible but not really preferred.

I'm taking the the truck, so the bike will be strapped down in the back.

Anybody have any favorite hotel/motels and eating establishments along those routes?

If you're stopping in Amarillo overnight, we prefer the Travelodge West on Paramount. Not fancy, but consistently clean. And always the cheapest stay in town, unless you take your chances with the trucker motels along I-40 at the east end.

Flying Phil!

I suggest Best Western in Dumas (1701 South Dumas Ave,), just north of Amarillo. You avoid the big city noise of long-haul truckers and no morning traffic when you start out. At special rates in the mid-$70s, it also includes breakfast...decent bargain.

I guess it was last year when I ran into you in Ouray. Remember that crazy lady in the bar who rode the 1150GS?

It does not look like a scenic drive.

:yawn:

RB

w/ the bridal unit's brother in boulder, i find myself making that run from time to time

starting in denton, i run out to CLOVIS, NM where there are several nice/reasonable motels

i have stayed @ the DAYS INN there, several times

i got an inside, ground floor room closer to the front of the complex

rode the r1100gs up the handicapped ramp, thru the breezeway & parked it on the grass in front of the door(take a foot pad for the side stand)

leaving there, follow US84 up to LAS VEGAS, NM > TAOS > ALAMOSA, CO > BUENA VISTA, CO > EVERGREEN > GOLDEN > BOULDER

also good lodging in either SALIDA, CO or BUENA VISTA, CO

good route if you can afford the time

shiny side up

sw(retyred)

Hey Phil....

I've found that TX36 can be a bit faster than 6 since it's just a touch further west with longer stretches between towns. Any traffic seems faster too.

...& at Abilene...I've taken US83 north (can go till US287) or hop over to TX70 & run up near Palo Duro Canyon for some nice scenery on the way. Some longer open stretches on these two roads too.

+ US84 from I20 north has those ever present "forward progress controllers" ta deal with.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be on a mission to get there and in the truck, so getting there sooner takes precedence over scenic. Any suggestions for places in the Sweetwater to Post area? Google maps shows Post to be almost 5 hours, so if I left at 4pm, that would put me there about 9. And still needing to find a place to eat. And it would leave me 9 1/2 hours to Boulder.

Also looking for any "can't miss" places to eat along the way.

Rod, your route would put me where in five or so hours? Aspermont looks to be about 4 hours(all times are per Google maps, I usually make better time than they suggest). And leave me 10 1/2 hours to Boulder.
Or maybe Paducah, suppose there's anything there?

A co-worker from Aspermont says to eat at Hickman's but stay at Budget.

I'll be on a mission to get there and in the truck, so getting there sooner takes precedence over scenic. Any suggestions for places in the Sweetwater to Post area?

Stop fretting Phil...just take this route. It is 865 miles from Waco to Boulder with minimal traffic. If you use your Valentine radar detector you will be really smoking fast!

Waco>35 North>287 North>Overnight in Dumas>287 North to Boulder.

La Casita in Dumas has pretty good Mexican food.

RB

Stop fretting Phil...just take this route. It is 865 miles from Waco to Boulder with minimal traffic. If you use your Valentine radar detector you will be really smoking fast!

Waco>35 North>287 North>Overnight in Dumas>287 North to Boulder.

La Casita in Dumas has pretty good Mexican food.

RB

ha, smoking fast!
I will have the Valentine 1 tuned up, but it's only for entertainment reasons....certainly I would never break any traffic laws:trust:

Won't be any going through DFW on a Friday afternoon, I'll take either 6 or 36.
Google shows Dumas to be 8 hours away. If I leave at 4pm, that puts me there at midnight. I'm hoping to stop around 8:30-9pm so there will still be a decent place to eat. And just to break the trip up.

Aspermont & Paducah both show 2 motels on the net. The only one I could find with a website was the Hunters Lodge in Paducah....Nice lookin place

http://www.hunterslodgemotelpaducahtexas.com/page/page/5531916.htm

There are also places in Spur Dickens & Turkey over on 70 (which I think is a nicer road)

I saw that hotel during my quick google search this morning, looks interesting. I may give them a call.

Keep the ideas coming.

I really did like ridin up TX70 back in 07.....So much so ...that I kept headin north to Pampa then over to Dumas & Dalhart on 152 bypassin Amarillo altogether.

Now...The stretch of US87 to Texline ??????? Thats a different story!!!
TRAFFIC....TRAFFIC....& the occasional TRAFFIC.

I might have eaten at Hickman's in Aspermont...but not sure...& can't remember if it was a standout.

I really did like ridin up TX70 back in 07.....So much so ...that I kept headin north to Pampa then over to Dumas & Dalhart on 152 bypassin Amarillo altogether.

Now...The stretch of US87 to Texline ??????? Thats a different story!!!
TRAFFIC....TRAFFIC....& the occasional TRAFFIC.

I might have eaten at Hickman's in Aspermont...but not sure...& can't remember if it was a standout.

CORRECTION.... After lookin at the map closer...I found that I cut over on 86 @ Turkey to 207 & then up thru Claude to Borger....NOT 70 to Pampa.

&....although the traffic thru Texline will be kinda heavy...it will still be early enough Sat to deal with. Once you get to I25..at least you're lookin at the mountains along the way & not a nondescript flatland all the way to Denver.

Howdy Phil! I like to stay at America's best Value Inn. If you register with them online you get another 10 - 15% off their already low rates. I don't need anything fancy in a hotel. Just cool A/C and a clean shower.

P.S If you were doing this closer to September I would be bugging you to let me go with you!

WAIT FOR ME!!!
Sorry Phil...I just had ta throw that out there. I wish I could go too. Just too many things on the plate right now.....(BE SURE TO FINISH YOUR VEGGGIES...veggies=stuff for sale)
Hopefully I'll get away in August when the heat down here is enough to drive ya anywhere cooler.

Be sure ta hit Mt Evans while you're up there. That road is ...!!HUH
I won't even suggest the Oh My God Road at Idaho Springs. (it's really the name!...both are on Butler's CO map)

Last edited:
last minute suggestions?

Don't change your mind! Just keep going past the smoke and fires.

:rider:

Enjoy the cooler weather. Say hello to the Multistrada 1200 dude from last year we met in Ouray.

RB

mudu8eqy.jpg

My day doesn't suck. :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Since I can't string two coherent thoughts together, a ride report is out of the question. Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a great trip and got back just in time for triple digit heat...yea me!

Here are a few more photos

loaded up and ready to go
coloradosnapshotsJune172013001_zpscb29e455.jpg

random shots
coloradosnapshotsJune172013010_zpsb2140459.jpg

coloradojune192013snapshots007_zps0ee305ab.jpg

coloradojune202013snapshots004_zpsf39b445f.jpg

great place to eat in Carbondale
coloradojune202013snapshots015_zps6de50bc0.jpg

my guides. I met these two gentlemen last year on 141. We ended up riding the rest of the week together and became good friends. When they offered to guide me through Colorado again this year, I jumped at the chance. What's better than a personal guide service from the locals?
coloradojune202013snapshots026_zps6740facc.jpg

from Rocky Mountain park
coloradoJune212013snapshots001_zpsda136309.jpg

coloradoJune212013snapshots002_zps6a667e84.jpg

coloradoJune212013snapshots007_zps086afd6a.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO89OoS_-xc"]Rocky Mountain Park Video - YouTube[/ame]

this is all new to me.

You tube said it would be blocked in some countries.

I only know one way to find out

Nice pics wish I could have rode out there with you. Looked nice and cool. Glad you made it back alright. What was the highlight of your trip? Drew

Back