• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire time

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Well, did manage to get 11,300 before needing to change out the RP2s I put on last Summer before a trip to Montana's Glacier Park. The back is just getting to the innner wear marks but sure I could of got another thousand or two running local. I have a set I took off before my trip last year that only had a bit over 4000 on them so they are going back on as I pretty much know where I'm heading this next trip. South Louisiana to Southern California to Washington State and back just cutting across country with a visit to OKC area.
Brake pads will be checked when I pull the wheels off later this week. Chain and sprockets are very good. Just not a bunch to do cept check over things on the old Bandit. I think the mileage is sitting at about 66, 800 at present. But with it being corrected it adds up to about 71+ thousand on it. Just slowly working to that 100K miles part.
If I was not spending so much local time on the KLR , it would come a lot faster. ;-) I've put about 10K miles on the KLR in the last 2 years running local and a few trips to Arkansas.

Sounds like a great trip! Can't go wrong with those tires. I've never done a trip of that length, sounds exciting! I'll being looking forward to your expert take on it all. I really enjoy your experienced based input Achesley it definitely shows the potential of the Bandit and motorcycle riding in general. Doug

I would have to place the Bandit in the top of my list of bikes I love to travel on. Right there with with the 3 BMW's I did about 130,000 miles on. In fact, the Bandit has done more miles for me than any bike I've had. Very little maintenance cept from normal wear items.
Put the front tire on today and new brake pads on the front with the old ones looking about 60% wear. Took a short 22 mile ride to seat them in and it's all good. Ready to put the Givi top box and bags on tomorrow to start packing and figuring out what I want to carry with me on this trip. Seems Like I carry less and less ever trip.

I also carry less and less as I usually over pack but better safe then sorry! I find that more tools helps me sleep at night better then say a bigger more comfy pillow! :rofl:

The rear pads were at about 50% so they stayed. The front pads were at about 30% left so changed them out. Chain cleaned with kerosene, wiped down and lubed with Dupont. Short 20 miles test ride to scrub in the front pads and check all else. Put a load of 15W50 Mobil One in this time with a new filter as I really don't plan on changing oil till I get back home.
I alter the packing just a little almost every year.
Tools > what comes with the bike and a few added things. Slime air compressor, New tire repair kit with strings and glue every year. Small 1st aid kit, multimeter and that's about it. Much more than that and you need to call 911 for your bike.
Clothing < with what I'm wearing > 3 pairs socks and shorts and long sleeve tee shirts; Old Widder vest and gloves, cold weather gloves, pig skin work gloves for every day. 3 year old HJC full hat with new clear shield. 3/4 Length Transision Jacket with liner ( not in till needed ) Pants to match. 3 pairs of Dicky work pants, BMW Goretex boots ( been having for about 12 years and sill good to go and water has never leaked into them )
Then there's the .380 and maps and note books and bike cover AND WATER BLADDER w/ BITE VALVE that has dissapeared into the atoms that are surrounding it. New Garmin Montana and Radar Detector ( that drowned last year in Minnisota but come back to life in Montana ;-0 , but without sound which I can't hear anyhow ). Then there is little food items as Green tea bags, soap for clothing, coffee cup. Ear plugs, cameras, laptop and chargers for them along with Samsung III that I'm still learning along with the Montana and the Sony A57/ 18250 lens combo. Sheesh, maybe I'm over packing LOL. But, tis all in the 3 givi cases and mag tank bag. Also kick the rear shock up a notch to help it's worn out self handle the extra pounds. ;-)

380!? I wish! I'm running through New York/NJ maybe and they are nazis! I only carry a knife (under 4 inches) and pepper spray better then nothing!! ;-)

PS: Don't feel like your overpacking! If I copied and pasted my list you'd understand! :)

Yes, last 4 sets have been that.
I was headed to California before a deer encounter of the crash kind last Tuesday
in West Texas. Sigh!

Say it's not so! You must be all right you are posting. Hope it's just a set back and nothing to serious. Best Wishes Doug

Came out way better than I expected. Dislocated shoulder and little bruises here and there. Plus sore from straining to get the bike back on it's tires with one good arm and legs. What happen was I was coming around a blind curve on 118 after leaving the observatory headed to I 10. I was probably at about 70% what the me and the bike could handle the curve at and a deer jumped out in front of me. I straighten and on the brakes to miss the deer by going wide and when cutting back into the curve the front was in the gravel and went. I was along for the ride after that but at about 25 or so when going down I didn't slide far but still run into the big rocks. Bike > Big dent in the tank and a few more scraps on the fairing. No phone coverage and little to no traffic on that road. Might of been there a long time if I would have been hurt more or the bike not runnable. Very lucky. But, had to ride about 90 miles , no windshield ( it didn't make it ) to Fort Stockton , got a motel, took a shower, the pains and swelling on the left shoulder began so was able to get the motel people to bring me to ER.
After many Xray, determined nothing broke but contusions and sep shoulder. After a few days to getting it together and healing a little, got a U Haul Vantruck and came home with the bike and luggage in the back. Gonna need a new tank and that's about it for the bike. I'm gonna be chilling till all this stuff gets healed up. May be awhile as 70 year old people don't heal to fast. ha ha ha ha

Sounds like the old proverbial "dodged a bullet"!! Glad it wasn't worse, bummer with the trip, plans are to be changed, no big deal. Heal up Achesly, you can't keep a "Devil Dog" down!

Achesly, glad to hear nothing too seriously hurt, and you were able to ride out to the next town. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Came out way better than I expected. Dislocated shoulder and little bruises here and there. Plus sore from straining to get the bike back on it's tires with one good arm and legs. What happen was I was coming around a blind curve on 118 after leaving the observatory headed to I 10.

Bummer about the crash Achelsey. Glad to hear you're relatively OK.

There are really a LOT of deer in that area. Wish deer hunting would become more popular because those forest rats need to be seriously thinned out. This holds true for most of the state.

I am glad the injuries were not worse. That area is well known for deer strikes. Btw, what time of day was it and how did your riding gear hold up?

Heal up quickly!

RB

Sent by Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the accident, I was interested in the tire story...
Glad was not worst. Deers are a big concern for sure!

Protective gear was Long sleeve t-shirt, BMW boots, Pigskin work golves, HjC full hat, Dixie work pants. The right boot is pretty chewed inside and junk now, Helmet just scrached the shield, Glove /pants and shirt. no damage or marks. If I would of had the Transistion 3 jacket on with it's shoulder pads on, may have been better for my shoulder, maybe not. I can only speculate that it would be been better. In about 400,000 miles of riding , I've only been down and hurt 3 times. 2 of them, I was able to get the bike up and me on it and get to help or home. Only one was an ambulance trip to the hospital I still don't remember the wreck or anything about it except stopping at a stop sign in a light rain, waiting on a car that was coming, and coming back to life in a hospital a few hours later. Hopefully, I'll get to my DR tomorrow and get more evaluation on the shoulder and shoulder blade areas. He's pretty good at seeing me fast as when I do call him, it's for something good. Plus, he rides also. Same with my Dentist. As said, I was very very lucky on this one, again. LOL! Oh, almost forgot, the incident was about 4:45 to 5 PM. My last almost hit a deer was in Texas also two years back at high noon in 103 temperatures. Go figure? My only deer hit, was near Winnfield, La. on my '95 BMW R11GS at 8:30P and 65 mph. Just just caught his rear a bit on a small deer. Didn't go down for that one but tweaked the steering just a touch after that.
Maybe I ought to start Truckin' on my trips and ride my KLR about Local South Louisiana. ;-) My wife's harping on that one.

Last edited:
All the little aches and pains slowing down on the rest of the body. Even had some bruising on the big toe and on the shin though the old hi dollar BMW Gortex boots I've been having since about 96.
But the shoulder is going to require more work on it I'm afraid. More xrays done last Monday and next is MRI Friday and then the Orthopedic Doctor next monday. My Doc thinks the rotator cup is not too very good. LOL!
But then , at least I'm alive to have this done as it could of very easily been much worst. I guess a great Plus factor is that at 70 and retired and on SS, I'm not out of a job ;-) and still getting paid ;-)

But the shoulder is going to require more work on it I'm afraid. More xrays done last Monday and next is MRI Friday and then the Orthopedic Doctor next monday. My Doc thinks the rotator cup is not too very good. LOL!

Good luck. Hopefully a little physical therapy will do the trick. Rotator cuff surgeries are not fun and the post-op rehab takes months. Unfortunately I speak from experience.

But then , at least I'm alive to have this done as it could of very easily been much worst.

An understatement.

Back