• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas road question?

Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Wright
Anybody have first hand knowledge of 270 between Hotsprings,AK and The OK state line? Also 71 from Boles to Ft. Smith? Curvy,scenic,worth the fuel? Drew

Anybody have first hand knowledge of 270 between Hotsprings,AK and The OK state line? Also 71 from Boles to Ft. Smith? Curvy,scenic,worth the fuel? Drew

Kickstand, there are other, better roads with a lot more twistys and scenic roads.

Are you trying to make a loop, and, from where to where.

Kickstand, there are other, better roads with a lot more twistys and scenic roads.

Are you trying to make a loop, and, from where to where.

Short on time considering doing a short holiday weekend trip in the south west part of Ak. Where do you suggest? Are those roads not that good? Looks on the map like they go thru a forrest. How are you healing? Drew

Short on time considering doing a short holiday weekend trip in the south west part of Ak. Where do you suggest? Are those roads not that good? Looks on the map like they go thru a forrest. How are you healing? Drew

I don't think 270 is what I would be looking for. lol

If I were coming up from Texas, I would route over to Talihina OK and then onto route 1. Stay on route 1(Talihina scenic Pky.) This will take you to 88 and into Mena AR. If you have never done this ride, You will enjoy it a lot.
Stop at the lodge.

Ok now up AR 23 to AR 16 to Ar 7 to Russelville. Stay on 7 to Hot Springs AR.

That is a super loop. 23 in my opinion is as good as the Dragon. It's called the Pig Trail.
16 is a great road as well as 7 down to Russelville.

I could ride those roads every day.:rider:
Look at the time on that and let me know if that fits or not.
The mountain roads always take longer to ride...:rofl:

If I were coming up from Texas, I would route over to Talihina OK and then onto route 1. Stay on route 1(Talihina scenic Pky.) This will take you to 88 and into Mena AR. If you have never done this ride, You will enjoy it a lot.
Stop at the lodge.

That is a super loop. 23 in my opinion is as good as the Dragon. It's called the Pig Trail.

OK thanks I will check out the atlas here in a little to see if it is doable time wise. Thanks Drew

Stop at the lodge.

+1 on this route

B-line from Lampassas > Atoka > Stringtown, right on 43, left on 2, right on 1 & you're there

make sure you allow extra time for 1, across the ridge, as it has a slower speed limit

also, a great side trip off 23, on 215 > OARK, for a world class burger & PIE, then back > 23 & resume japako's route

have a nice trip

shiny side up

sw

There are other routes that would take less time and have you spend more time in one area. Maybe you could spend the night in the Queen Whilmina. SP) lodge on route 1. Then take the next day and play in that area. There really are no bad roads in AR. Just some are not as twisty as others..:lol2:

If you get a chance to spend a week there, the big route would be great and you could do a lot of spiders off the main roads.

As swoody said, OARK is a don't miss lunch.

Stop at the lodge.

Am checking your suggestion on the route it looks possible. Thanks Drew

There are other routes that would take less time and have you spend more time in one area. Maybe you could spend the night in the Queen Whilmina. SP) lodge on route 1. Then take the next day and play in that area. There really are no bad roads in AR. Just some are not as twisty as others..:lol2:

If you get a chance to spend a week there, the big route would be great and you could do a lot of spiders off the main roads.

As swoody said, OARK is a don't miss lunch.

We will be on street rides so no dirt work. The route is still not concreted in. Looking for twisty scenic ride with picture opportunities. Right now as always its therapy for the overworked soul. Thanks for all that have given imput,keep the ideas coming. Leaving early this Saturday and returning Monday afternoon. Drew

Do you know how busy those roads will be japako? Drew

If your talking about the AR roads, they will have some traffic, but more bike than car. Still will be busier than usual, but not bad.
If you went to Eureka Springs or around Fort Smith it would be real busy.
Also Hot Springs will be busy.

You should not have any problems as most of the Looky Loos stay in major areas.
Ok just did a search and could not find any big goings on, so you should be good.

Thanks yes Arkansas roads. Plans not finalized till maybe pie time. Thanks for the imput. Drew

Thanks also Steve and Ed will try to do a decent ride report when I get back and yes will take pics weather permitting. Will be leaving if all goes well after pie in Cushing. Might camp at Crater of Diamonds sp. Is it nice? Steve,Oark is on 215? Drew

The Queen Whilimena lodge may not be open , remodeling , check to be sure....

We rode the Talimena this weekend and checked on the lodge. It will probably be next year before it's reopened.

I had heard that it was being remodeled, but they completely razed the old lodge! New building is just now being dried-in, so it's going to be a while.

Quick report on the Scenic Drive.... the OK side pavement is coming up in places. Some of the sealer is peeling up and making shallow little pot holes right in the best riding lines. Kinda rough in spots and induced some head-shake on my bike. The fun part near the West end is just fine and may be worth a U-turn and done twice!

Hasta boys

Well as you may have realized with no ride report that it fell thru. :tears: Trying to scan the calendar to see if I can sneak off from work un-noticed. Sickness cancelled this one but will go another time. :puke: Scanning the horizon for the perfect dates. Appreciate all the imput and I promise I will get there. Drew

Well as you may have realized with no ride report that it fell thru. ... Sickness cancelled this one but will go another time. ... I promise I will get there. Drew

i sure 'nuff hate it when that happens...

later will be warmer(duh)

might be thinking about fall, or have one of those cooler vest thingies

hope you get to feeling better, soon

sw

Well as you may have realized with no ride report that it fell thru. :tears: Trying to scan the calendar to see if I can sneak off from work un-noticed. Sickness cancelled this one but will go another time. :puke: Scanning the horizon for the perfect dates. Appreciate all the imput and I promise I will get there. Drew

Sorry to hear that and hope you get better quickly. Heck, if you wait long enough, it will be fall color season and the dang road work should be over with...:sun:

Thank you swoody and japako I was not ill but another twter was. Not into riding that far without a riding buddy normally. I am not as young as I once was and like to have a observer incase something crazy happens. Plus you get two sets of eyes and pics from two cameras for ride reports. Been feeling a little/alot older lately so appreciate a partner in crime out on the road. Did do a small 150 mile loop with the youngest boy and had fun. I think he had more fun than me,the wind was terrible. Drew

Thank you swoody and japako I was not ill but another twter was. Not into riding that far without a riding buddy normally. I am not as young as I once was and like to have a observer incase something crazy happens. Plus you get two sets of eyes and pics from two cameras for ride reports. Been feeling a little/alot older lately so appreciate a partner in crime out on the road. Did do a small 150 mile loop with the youngest boy and had fun. I think he had more fun than me,the wind was terrible. Drew

Well I'm glad to hear your not ill. That makes everything much better.
As far as needing a riding partner, I'll be happy to ride with you after I'm back together..:rider:

Stop at the lodge.

Been looking at the Arkansas map again and trying to figure out which (most scenic)way to get from 16 to 7? 21 at Fallsville or north to 68 then back to 7?

Back