• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

my bike won't turn off

bear

Reaction score
:argh: Wednesday I went to start my bike to take it to work and it was dead. So I got out the battery charger hooked everything up and took another vehicle to work. I come home after work and the Headlight is on:shrug:. So I go check the bike and the ignition is off the key is in my pocket, but the bike is not turning off and running down the battery.

This is a 2000 R1150GS with 76,000 miles.

Any thoughts, suggestions on how I can fix this, would be greatly appreciated.

My Elefant did that when the regulator went out. Even with the key off it passed power to the electrical system through a short.

This may sound crazy put I thought I had turned my 1100S off but found out I went past off to park which left the light on and key can be removed. Something as simple as this is probably not your problem but it would be nice if it was.

Boxercup Dave said:
This may sound crazy put I thought I had turned my 1100S off but found out I went past off to park which left the light on and key can be removed. Something as simple as this is probably not your problem but it would be nice if it was.
Bingo! That's what it is. The emergency park lights are on. I've done the same thing on my 04 RT.

I tried every position of "off" on the bike, but the light would not go off.

I tried to tell my wife that my bike wouldn't turn off so I just had to keep riding it until it ran out of gas... :shrug: her response: :rolleyes:

bear said:
:argh: Wednesday I went to start my bike to take it to work and it was dead. So I got out the battery charger hooked everything up and took another vehicle to work. I come home after work and the Headlight is on:shrug:. So I go check the bike and the ignition is off the key is in my pocket, but the bike is not turning off and running down the battery.

This is a 2000 R1150GS with 76,000 miles.

Any thoughts, suggestions on how I can fix this, would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the headlight relay is sticking.

Thanks, it was a stuck relay. Have to remember that one. Really annoying, glitch.:doh:

Bear, with low voltage the starter solenoid will stick in the engaged position sometimes. It is rare though. Maybe you should ride the Ural more often. What is it with you and electrical problems? I think it is the universe spanking you for being so versed in the rest of the bike and still having your electrical fobia. But it isn't like I have known you for 12yrs or anything. On another note, we put an altenator belt on Chris' bike. What would of been 15 minutes turned into 1.5hrs due to the stupid crash bars. The bars mount on all the chassis points, so to take them loose we backed out a few key bolts only to have the sub-frame tweek when it is on the center stand. It was ridiculous. Sent my 97 frame to the powder coaters in lousiana that does my dad's race car parts. Matte black baby, frame, sub-frame, and swing-arm. It is gonna be totally black when I am finished. Wheels, spokes, lower fork tubes everything. Bob sold his shop this week. He is moving to Cali. to work at a dirt bike ranch. I gave my 2 weeks notice to WFM today, Steve the stunt guy offered me a fulltime position and more money. So now you can say you have a friend that is a stunt FX guy. I think I am going to get another KLR, The guy wanted me to assess what it would take to get it running dependable. Well I take off the skins to find a pretty nice sized hole in the valve cover where the valve came up or the cam or shim exploded. It is pretty knarly. I told the dude I had another motor out of my 97 I would sell him with a new piston, valves, totally fresh top end. Built by me of course. I said I would sell it to him for 1,200 installed, he wasn't intrested. I also told him I would take it for the labor he owes me now. So we will see, that would make 3 KLR's and a KL600. I thought I was a Honda guy buy it seems I have an obsession with these bikes, even though they are Kawi's(no offense to anyone.)

Hi, Bear,
BMW's don't have starter solenoids. They do have starter relays. A very common problem on K-bikes and, probably on oilheads, too, is when the battery is weak and you try to start the bike, the starter relay points weld themselves together. I've seen them separate by giving the relay a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle, hammer, etc., but you have to get to the relay first. If the points are stuck closed, the starter will run until the battery is run doan. If you recharge it or put a new battery in, as soon as it is connected, the starter will run. The relay points need to be opened. If they don't by striking the relay, you "may" be able to take it apart, separate the points, and seal the cover back on, or you may have to replace the relay. If necessary, you can find the part number by going to www.realoem.com. You can type in your VIN or the model, build date, etc. Follow the instructions.

Most BMW's also have a "park" position on the ignition switch. Turn the key all the way and your parking lights (front and rear) are illuminated. Come back in a few hours and you may have a dead battery. DAMHIK (Don't ask me how I know)!
Ride Safe,
Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
'95 K1100LT (his)
'94 K75A/3 low seat (hers)

Back