PDA

View Full Version : Project Bike: '05 ZX6-RR 200mph Standing Mile Build

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Like the title says. Im building my 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR to run at the Houston Mile(the one mile) and hope to be the first under 1000cc bike to break 200mph in the standing mile.

Its going to take ALOT of work(and HP) to get my bike there and with the help of a few guys who have run there, and made the 200mph club, ive been gaining lots of usefull tips and insight as the build goes along. Here are the specs of what im building

Bike: 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR. This is the race version with close ratio 6 speed, race tuned suspension, Higher lift cams + bigger valves than 636, shorter stroke(599cc) than 636 but 1000rpm higher rev limit, and slipper clutch.
Mods:
-Carillo H-Beam Connecting Rods
-JE Forged Pistons that bump it from 599cc to 636cc
-DynoTune Systems Progressive Dry Nitrous Kit (80HP)
-CNC Port + Polish on cylinder head
-Crankshaft Knife-edged, lightened, and balanced
-Sharkskinz Full Racing Bodywork
-Airtech-Streamlining Land Speed front fender
-Modified exhaust to go from undertail to GP style

Pulling the engine out right now to get the headwork and crank work done and to order the pistons and rods. My goal when its complete is 200-210hp on the spray and 200mph in the standing mile.... The Fairings and front fender should be here this week, ive already modified the exhaust, and got alot of smaller parts on order like the required lanyard kill switch, metal chain guard, etc.

kickstand~prophet
06-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Good luck with the effort hope to hear all about it after the run. I think you picked a good bike Kawas have always been quick from the get go. Are you going to do a picture build and post? Drew

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Good luck with the effort hope to hear all about it after the run. I think you picked a good bike Kawas have always been quick from the get go. Are you going to do a picture build and post? Drew

Thanks. There are a few guys on this board that are helping me including Jason, so im learning as i go. This will be my first nitrous build so i have a learning curve ahead of me as well. The ZX6RR is the best platform for a 600cc i could have chosen as it has all the stuff factory that i mentioned above and with intake and exhaust mods and fuel management ive seen them put down HP in the 120's so i dont think ill have any trouble making 200HP with all my mods.

Ill post pics as i go. Ill snap some in a min.

ffejtable
06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm a Kawi guy at heart... Good luck...Go Kawi!

grandpaul
06-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Sounds like fun. You need to bring it out to Beeville (Texas Mile) in October.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 05:05 PM
I was originally planning on running there but alot of the fast guys said go to Houston Mile ,which they hold around the same time, since the track is better and it doesnt have the nasty spot at the end during shut down. Still waiting on details for the next houston mile since ive heard that some big names bought the event and are planning on going big this year.

poser
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Where is the Houston Mile held?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Where is the Houston Mile held?

houston... LOL

Its at Ellington Airport in Houston. From my understanding it is an active airport. Never been there myself but i will be hauling the bike down in October.

http://www.houstonmile.com/

They dont have any info up for the oct event and from what i understand since some bigwigs are taking over it will most likely be called something else for the next event.

poser
06-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Cool, that's the Air Force base over on the south east side of town. It's not far from my MIL's house. When we visit, we often see jets coming and going.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Cool, that's the Air Force base over on the south east side of town. It's not far from my MIL's house. When we visit, we often see jets coming and going.

Its supposed to be alot better than Texas Mile in Beeville. Ive heard you can get ALOT more runs in as well. Hopefully they post some info up by next month as i want to get registered. If not then ill be running the Texas Mile instead...

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-10-2013, 07:53 PM
How it looked earlier today

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/bike_zpsae269e2f.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/bike_zpsae269e2f.jpg.html)

Gravel Guy
06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Good luck!
:sun: :clap:

Maintainer
06-11-2013, 11:38 AM
:cool2::cool2::cool2:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Got my new race fairings in today and im to impatient to wait so i test fitted the race tail. Looks darn good!! Sharkskinz fairings rule. They are all fiberglass construction with holes predrilled. For some reason i thought they were going to come white though as i was planning on leaving them be and throwing a couple stickers on but im not so sure now... We are a dealer for sharkskinz btw.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/racetail_zps448f4c8e.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/racetail_zps448f4c8e.jpg.html)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Here is a couple pics of what i did the other day. I didnt want the undertail exhaust anymore(or the catalytic converter for that matter) and a common thing for 05-06 ZX6R riders to do is swap over the 03-04 header. Well i bought a used one on ebay for about $30 to my door but upon examining it, there were a few differences i didnt like. First is the 03-04 has a primary OD of 34.5mm and 05-06 of 35mm so the primary tubes are bigger on my bike, second is the fact that the routing of the primaries are a little different and comes to close to certain areas as well as having to make a new radiator bracket. I was told to "dent" the pipe a little so it clears but im not into that type of mod so i cut off the collectors off the two and swapped them so i have the best of both worlds and no CAT anymore either...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/exhaustcomparisonRE2_zps3fbaec90.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/exhaustcomparisonRE2_zps3fbaec90.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/exhaustnew1_zps159827f0.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/exhaustnew1_zps159827f0.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/exhaustnew2_zps77c71a37.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/exhaustnew2_zps77c71a37.jpg.html)

kickstand~prophet
06-11-2013, 11:49 AM
You forgot the wiskers on the cat!:lol2:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 11:51 AM
You forgot the wiskers on the cat!:lol2:

LOL. Yeah, i got some comments on that on another forum i posted as well... hes mad btw cause he got chopped and thrown in the scrap pile... :thumb:

kickstand~prophet
06-11-2013, 12:44 PM
LOL. Yeah, i got some comments on that on another forum i posted as well... hes mad btw cause he got chopped and thrown in the scrap pile... :thumb:

Lookin' good so far. How do you like your craftsman box? Just recently got the same and am enjoying it. Drew

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Lookin' good so far. How do you like your craftsman box? Just recently got the same and am enjoying it. Drew

The red one is good. I got the black one with big drawers and wood top and the bottom drawer track just broke yesterday... Time for warranty

EDIT: you can actually see the bottom drawer hanging open a bit in the pic. Thats the broken one... LOL

E.Marquez
06-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Watching this one for sure,, great project. Wish you the best of luck.

What is your final wet target weight?
Are you going to get a final post tuning Dyno run done for a known HP?

With GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range.. You have your work cut out for you... but I really like what you have laid out.. nice program.. if the weight is down enough, suspension working well to hook through 4th gear, rider doing his (or her) job plus some favorable winds and temps you have a good chance I think of reaching your goal.

Who is the rider? Experience? Standing Miles before?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Watching this one for sure,, great project. Wish you the best of luck.

What is your final wet target weight?
Are you going to get a final post tuning Dyno run done for a known HP?

With GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range.. You have your work cut out for you... but I really like what you have laid out.. nice program.. if the weight is down enough, suspension working well to hook through 4th gear, rider doing his (or her) job plus some favorable winds and temps you have a good chance I think of reaching your goal.

Who is the rider? Experience? Standing Miles before?

To answer a few questions

I havent been to concerned with weight. I believe wet weight is 423.8lbs and im eliminating anything that i dont need including, but not limited to, the exhaust valve servo, the undertail exhaust which im going with a tucked in side mount GP style w/M4 GP muffler, passenger footrests/pegs, and anything else i can take off.

The stock undertail muffler i took off weighed at least 15lbs, and the CAT probly 5lbs so thats all weight that wont be going back on there. So a conservative estimate would probly be 400lbs wet weight when its done. and im on a diet so that should help... LOL. I weigh 187lbs as we speak.

The bike will DEFINATELY get dyno tuned before i go and im shooting for 200-210 HP at the wheel.

I will be the driver. No experience at the mile, only street riding. I do plan to practice hard launches at the dragstrip once its together but before i go.

Im basically banking on the fact that my bike will put down comparable HP to a busa that can break 200mph (200hp), but its lighter(almost 75lbs by the numbers shown above), and it is more aerodynamic and has less cross sectional area so less drag.

I just want to be the first person that can break 200mph in the standing mile on a bike under 1000cc. Ive checked all the stats from Loring to Texas Mile, to Houston Mile and i cant find anyone who has done it. Its reletively easy, in comparison, to do that on a busa(especially turbo) so i want to stand out and prove i can do it the HARD way... Ill also be enjoying the looks of the sea of busa riders when i take a bike half the engine size and do what they have been doing... :dude:

E.Marquez
06-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Im basically banking on the fact that my bike will put down comparable HP to a busa that can break 200mph (200hp), but its lighter(almost 75lbs by the numbers shown above), and it is more aerodynamic and has less cross sectional area so less drag.

Fantastic... watching for sure.
Anything you can do to reduce Coefficient of friction (aero drag) is good, so anything snagging wind, body parts, mirrors, feet not tucked in will help as well.

Plan on lowering the suspension some?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Fantastic... watching for sure.
Anything you can do to reduce Coefficient of friction (aero drag) is good, so anything snagging wind, body parts, mirrors, feet not tucked in will help as well.

Plan on lowering the suspension some?

Yeah, mirrors and bar ends are gone already. Forgot to mention those.

I have a land speed front fender on order as well.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 02:55 PM
I was looking into lowering compression but talking with some engine builders who have/or have built high CR nitrous bikes and im going to take their advice and stay with my 13.5:1 CR and run VP race fuel. Already checked and Texas and Houston Mile have vendors with race fuel on hand and they recommend i special order it ahead of time so that i am sure to have the exact fuel i need during the event. So 13.5:1 CR, 636cc(with JE big bore forged pistons), carrillo rods, CNC port work, 80HP shot of nitrous, and VP 110 race fuel should make for a potent combo and i dont see any reason i shouldnt be able to safely make 200+ RWHP. If i can keep the front wheel down and keep traction i should be able to make 200mph as well....

kickstand~prophet
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
The red one is good. I got the black one with big drawers and wood top and the bottom drawer track just broke yesterday... Time for warranty

EDIT: you can actually see the bottom drawer hanging open a bit in the pic. Thats the broken one... LOL

Ya I have the red one also,just combined three boxes into that one. I think I still need more room. Have a MAC side box but cannot find the keys for it. Hate to get rid of any tools that would be a sin. Will look forward to updates on the baby Kawa. 200 mph better hang on tight. :rider: Drew

hizzo3
06-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Just wondering as I haven't done the googly thing in rules... Are there rules against going turbo on the bike?

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Just wondering as I haven't done the googly thing in rules... Are there rules against going turbo on the bike?

No. There are different classes but all power adders are in the unlimited class. Im doing nitrous because its cheaper and easier than doing a turbo as there are no ready made turbo kits for my bike, and even if there were, it would cost 5-6 times as much to do a turbo setup.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Got some swingarm extensions on order, Carrillo Rods will be on order when they call me back this morning, got my M4 GP muffler on the way, and as soon as i get the JE pistons here ill be sending the cylinder out to get the overbore and replating. Still have to get a steering damper per rules, got my metal chain guard and lanyard switch here already per rules. Its starting to come together.

kickstand~prophet
06-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Are you going to paint her lime Kawasaki racing green? It would look good Z1-R blue also! Drew

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
Are you going to paint her lime Kawasaki racing green? It would look good Z1-R blue also! Drew

Not before october... I dont have unlimited money(or unlimited credit cards) so it will most likely stay the color the bodywork came in, primer-ish grey. I have been wanting to try out that plasti-dip though so if i get some extra money before oct i may spray it a solid color...

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Info just released on the next Houston Mile.

Bill Warner, aka "Mr. 300" has acquired the rights to the Houston Mile. Event is scheduled for October 19th-20th.

Ordered my Carrillo Rods yesterday and waiting for a call back from my rep to get the JE Pistons ordered today. Also talked to my rep at Tucker Rocky and they are going to give me some sponsorship so the rest of the parts i need will be on the way soon. Things are coming together quickly

grandpaul
06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Info just released on the next Houston Mile.

Bill Warner, aka "Mr. 300" has acquired the rights to the Houston Mile. Event is scheduled for October 19th-20th.

I sure hope he brings the mile record back to Texas!

he bought a couple of mile/land speed racing domain names from me earlier this year.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Dont know what ive updated so here goes:

-Parts that are on order and will be here this week-
CP Carrillo Rods
1 Piece Race Suite
Bazzaz Z-FI
Swingarm Extensions
Streamlined front fender
JE Forged Big Bore Pistons

Already have my metal chain guard, MPS lanyard switch, Sharkskinz fairings.
Still need to order my Scotts Steering damper which is on back order at the moment, SS brake lines, new tires, nitrous kit.

When i get rods and pistons in im going to tear down the engine and send the crank off, and i have to send the cylinder and new pistons to get overbored and replated.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Got my new one piece race suit and Bazzaz fuel controller today.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/racesuit_zpsc52ec9a7.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/racesuit_zpsc52ec9a7.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/bazzaz_zpsecb669cf.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/bazzaz_zpsecb669cf.jpg.html)

Jeff S
06-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Subscribed!
(and eagerly awaiting build photos. Please shoot & post more than you think you'll need)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Subscribed!
(and eagerly awaiting build photos. Please shoot & post more than you think you'll need)

Im going to tear the engine down on saturday. Maybe ill do a tutorial with photos on how to rebuild the engine if anyone is interested.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-22-2013, 09:20 AM
CP-Carrillo Rods came in yesterday. Look like $250 a piece??
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/carrillorod_zpsdd219aa5.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/carrillorod_zpsdd219aa5.jpg.html)

Grozny
06-22-2013, 01:48 PM
To answer a few questions

I havent been to concerned with weight. I believe wet weight is 423.8lbs and im eliminating anything that i dont need including, but not limited to, the exhaust valve servo, the undertail exhaust which im going with a tucked in side mount GP style w/M4 GP muffler, passenger footrests/pegs, and anything else i can take off.

The stock undertail muffler i took off weighed at least 15lbs, and the CAT probly 5lbs so thats all weight that wont be going back on there. So a conservative estimate would probly be 400lbs wet weight when its done. and im on a diet so that should help... LOL. I weigh 187lbs as we speak.

The bike will DEFINATELY get dyno tuned before i go and im shooting for 200-210 HP at the wheel.

I will be the driver. No experience at the mile, only street riding. I do plan to practice hard launches at the dragstrip once its together but before i go.

I just want to be the first person that can break 200mph in the standing mile on a bike under 1000cc. Ive checked all the stats from Loring to Texas Mile, to Houston Mile and i cant find anyone who has done it. Its reletively easy, in comparison, to do that on a busa(especially turbo) so i want to stand out and prove i can do it the HARD way... Ill also be enjoying the looks of the sea of busa riders when i take a bike half the engine size and do what they have been doing... :dude:
Granted the ZX-6R has a smaller frontal area than the Hayabusa, but that doesn't automatically translate into it creating less drag. The Hayabusa was designed around a wind tunnel with higher speeds in mind. That's why that bike looks as goofy as it does. Stock the ZX-6R tops out at about 155. The bodywork wasn't designed with top speed in mind. At any rate, good luck.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Granted the ZX-6R has a smaller frontal area than the Hayabusa, but that doesn't automatically translate into it creating less drag. The Hayabusa was designed around a wind tunnel with higher speeds in mind. That's why that bike looks as goofy as it does. Stock the ZX-6R tops out at about 155. The bodywork wasn't designed with top speed in mind. At any rate, good luck.

Makes sense now that i think about it. Im still hoping that comparable HP, and lighter weight help me get there. I did some research and it appears that claims from a previous post were incorrect and the wet weight of the busa appears to be 551-563lbs depending on year. So being as my bike is going to be close to 400lbs wet weight that should help me quite a bit since my lb/per hp should be closer to the busa(if not exceeding it) with the added HP im going to be putting out.

Hp is still up in the air till i actually get some test and tune in but i already have lots of naysayers who claim i wont get over 150RWHP even with all the mods so we will see.

kickstand~prophet
06-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Makes sense now that i think about it. Im still hoping that comparable HP, and lighter weight help me get there. I did some research and it appears that claims from a previous post were incorrect and the wet weight of the busa appears to be 551-563lbs depending on year. So being as my bike is going to be close to 400lbs wet weight that should help me quite a bit since my lb/per hp should be closer to the busa(if not exceeding it) with the added HP im going to be putting out.

Hp is still up in the air till i actually get some test and tune in but i already have lots of naysayers who claim i wont get over 150RWHP even with all the mods so we will see.

Your using a non-factory fairing etc so that might help also. Do not know if the ones you have a shaped different but weight does make a big difference and gearing. Good luck were in your corner. Drew

E.Marquez
06-22-2013, 03:38 PM
I did some research and it appears that claims from a previous post were incorrect and the wet weight of the busa appears to be 551-563lbs depending on year. .

What I cited was statement that said "GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range." and that weight was the certified weight of the bike at the time trial.. so.. not really a claim,,, but a certified weight of that bike that day.. The HP is a educated guess, as the owner was not letting on what he really had...

Not incorrect at all, just not what your reading about in other reports, magazine articles... ect.

I don't own or campaign one of these bikes so I don't have a frame of reference if that was a "common" weight or just what that bike was reduced to. :giveup:

Your project is very nice, and stands on it's own merit. wish you the best of luck... and if possible, i'll ride up when you try for your goal and will happily cheer you on :clap:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-22-2013, 06:25 PM
What I cited was statement that said "GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range." and that weight was the certified weight of the bike at the time trial.. so.. not really a claim,,, but a certified weight of that bike that day.. The HP is a educated guess, as the owner was not letting on what he really had...

Not incorrect at all, just not what your reading about in other reports, magazine articles... ect.

I don't own or campaign one of these bikes so I don't have a frame of reference if that was a "common" weight or just what that bike was reduced to. :giveup:

Your project is very nice, and stands on it's own merit. wish you the best of luck... and if possible, i'll ride up when you try for your goal and will happily cheer you on :clap:

Just everything i read said the stock wet weight was what i quoted, and dry weight was around 475lbs. I guess i got my work cut out for me if its really closer to 475 wet. Ill be curious to know what my bike weighs when im done with everything.

That would be great to have some extra support out there. Ive got my wife and kid coming obviously, my brother, and JR from Rednek coming out.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
I talked to my rep at JE Pistons and with the Big Bore JE Pistons (599cc to 636cc) the pistons are STILL lighter. He said stock came in at 135 grams and the JE's came in at 130 grams. Lighter weight on the rotating assembly is ALWAYS a good thing. While im waiting on those im going to send the crank to the local machine shop to get worked over.

TexBiker
06-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I wish you luck! Sounds like a fun project, regardless.

Overall, the aerodynamics are going to be your biggest hurdles. Lighter weight helps with acceleration, but top speed depends on aero and horsepower. For a given amount of horsepower, frontal area and coefficient of drag (Cd), you can calculate the top speed and weight is mostly irrelevant.

For example, most sportbikes have a Cd of ~.50 with a rider in place. That's slightly better than a small barn! :)

This is a good excerpt from an article I have on hand from when I was building one of my track toys. The bold area shows how you need to really focus on the aerodynamics if you want to play with the big boys. You'll need boatloads of HP to overcome the drag. Overall weight is only a small concern.

The horsepower required to overcome drag is not linear (see graph below). Take a car with a Cd (Coefficient of drag) of .40, frontal area of 20sq. ft, 150 DRIVE wheel horsepower, and correct gearing, it's top speed is approx. 135mph. Double your power to 300hp, and you end up with 173mph - 100% more power, 28% more top speed. Above 140mph or so, you may get as much return on aerodynamic improvements as horsepower gains. Take the 150hp engine, stick it into a slicker car (Cd .30, same frontal area) and you get 149mph with the same drivetrain. That's an additional 15 mph from zero extra horsepower! Put another way, if your car has a Cd of .40 (and many older cars are worse than this, a stock 240Z is about .465). to add 10MPH top speed from 140 to 150MPH, you need a 35 horsepower gain, AT THE DRIVE WHEELS, just to overcome the aerodynamic drag. Driveline losses are typically 15-20%, so that makes over 40 crankshaft horsepower for a 10 MPH gain. Then throw in frictional losses, (and friction increases with speed, all those bearings spinning faster and faster), and you can see that where 120mph is easy, 150 is much harder.

Here's a graph showing the curve for aerodynamics to give you a better idea of the curve involved :

http://www.datsuns.com/images/aerographbmp.gif
MPH is in 5mph increments

For a given amount of horsepower, frontal area, and coefficient of drag (.Cd), and correct gearing, you will have a calculable top speed, almost regardless of weight (increased rolling friction from heavier weights comes into play in comparatively small amounts). An example would be : 150hp and Cd of .40 = top speed 135. Weight? It's not nearly as critical, as long as you're geared to make your 150hp at 135mph, and have enough gears in between to get you there. The amount of TIME required to get to 135 will vary due to weight, but absolute top speed will very only a small amount.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Ive tried searching but couldnt find any hard numbers for my bikes coefficient of drag. The best i could come up with is when it came out it had the "lowest ever coefficent of drag of any ninja". Thats probly not saying much though...

I do know that the claimed top speed is pretty close to reality. Ive had it to an indicated 160-ish and even figuring in speedo error and gearing correction i was doing no less than 145 and not at redline yet. I think claimed top speed is around 155mph

I do see that from the article weight doesnt play a very big role in top speed but DOES play a big role in how fast you reach that top speed. I would have figured it would play a bigger role in top speed but i seem to remember something about mass in motion wants to stay in motion... Who knows...

All i can really do without a windtunnel is just do the mods i KNOW will help like removing anything that sticks out, ie mirrors, bar ends, my big fat head, etc... I also heard that a double bubble windshield would help as well to divert the air over the helmet and cause less turbulence.

hizzo3
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
I didn't see anything regarding this... Will you run a constant loss charge system or a battery less set up?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM
I didn't see anything regarding this... Will you run a constant loss charge system or a battery less set up?

I hadnt planned on it. How much is there to gain by eliminating the charging system/starting system?? Will it be noticeable?

hizzo3
06-24-2013, 06:57 PM
I hadnt planned on it. How much is there to gain by eliminating the charging system/starting system?? Will it be noticeable?

Starting system - not much. You're mostly talking sprung weight there.

Charging system - toss the stator, lighten the flywheel, and possibly redo your pickups (depending on what kind is on the bike) and you can gain a bit. But the key is it is dynamic drag. 1hp = 750 watts of power. Most modern bikes are at 400-500 watt stators. Factor in the inefficiency of the 1800's era charging system on the bike, count on a waste factor of 15-20% watts ≈ 100 watts for sake of math, and now your at a loss of almost 1hp dynamic. That's not factoring in rotational weight of a heavy flywheel and magnets. Plus newer lithium batteries hold quite a bit of juice for their weight, embarrassing their lead counter parts.

Will it be butt dyno noticeable? Prob not because you have to see gains of 10-15% for that. Will it show in numbers of equally pinned bikes and riders, yes. There is more theory that goes into this, but can get a lil complicated when doing the math.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Starting system - not much. You're mostly talking sprung weight there.

Charging system - toss the stator, lighten the flywheel, and possibly redo your pickups (depending on what kind is on the bike) and you can gain a bit. But the key is it is dynamic drag. 1hp = 750 watts of power. Most modern bikes are at 400-500 watt stators. Factor in the inefficiency of the 1800's era charging system on the bike, count on a waste factor of 15-20% watts ≈ 100 watts for sake of math, and now your at a loss of almost 1hp dynamic. That's not factoring in rotational weight of a heavy flywheel and magnets. Plus newer lithium batteries hold quite a bit of juice for their weight, embarrassing their lead counter parts.

Im already applying that theory to the crankshaft. Im having it lightened, knife-edged, and balanced. Im wondering if all the work to eliminate the charging system is worth the 1hp gain though... Especially since push starting will have to be done from then forward.

I am familiar with how much power a small lithium battery holds as ive been using them in the last couple bike builds ive done. Amazing they are.

hizzo3
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
The 1hp number is just the loss to make the electrical current, which is dynamic and will rise with rpm because of how electrical systems work. Not including the rotational weight loss. You will still be able to start it because you keep the starter. Between the stator, battery, flywheel and R/R, you could stand to loose about 15-20 lbs sprung weight.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-24-2013, 08:07 PM
The 1hp number is just the loss to make the electrical current, which is dynamic and will rise with rpm because of how electrical systems work. Not including the rotational weight loss. You will still be able to start it because you keep the starter. Between the stator, battery, flywheel and R/R, you could stand to loose about 15-20 lbs sprung weight.

So is there a percentage i can figure out how much hp? Or can you give me an educated guess, say if im putting down 150hp to the rear wheel.

hizzo3
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
You will probably see 1hp up to max charge speed and up to a total of 3 HP increase by the time you hit redline. I'm also assuming with stronger internals you're bumping up the redline. You will have a run of about 10-15 mins and put it on a charger between runs to top off. Plus add the weight saved along and its pretty much free HP minus the new battery.

hizzo3
06-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Another free but minor mod is indexing plugs as well.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Im not sure we are going to be raising the redline any. Its already 1000 rpm more than the 636 model because of smaller pistons, stonger valve springs, and different cams. 16,500 is quite high. When i get the cylinder head to my machinist ill have him check the seat pressure and see where we stand.

Thanks for the tip on indexing the spark plugs. One of the oldest tricks and until now id forgot all about it.

Im still undecided on the charging system since i had wanted to keep the bike somewhat streetable but at this point im leaning towards full on race bike.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I have been looking into friction reducing coatings and i have a question for anyone in the know. I know that cryo treating reduces wear on components but does it have anti-friction properties as well? Or does it just reduce wear by(in laymens terms) making the metal harder? Im wondering if i can kill two birds with one stone by using cryo treatment or should i go for a true friction reducing coating.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 09:07 AM
Ok, so ive been doing research on total loss charging systems and i dont see a downside for a race bike. I just need to make sure i get a battery with enough amp hours to sustain the bike during the runs. I do believe ill keep the starter though as i dont like the idea of having to bump start the bike... When i take my crank in to be worked ill take the flywheel also and have it machined down to get rid of a bunch of weight. From everything ive read of people who have done it, all of them say you can feel a difference in how quick the engine revs up. I cant wait to feel the difference with the lightened flywheel and lightened crank!!

E.Marquez
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
When i take my crank in to be worked ill take the flywheel also and have it machined down to get rid of a bunch of weight. From everything ive read of people who have done it, all of them say you can feel a difference in how quick the engine revs up. I cant wait to feel the difference with the lightened flywheel and lightened crank!!

It is a noticeable Butt Dyno felt difference.

I have been lightening flywheels for awhile now... of the more then 2 dozen completed for one model bike, and 7 on another not one person has been disappointed with the results.

Traction and control are a big deal in the standing mile though... If you cant put it to the ground, your terminal speed at the lights will show it.

Erik

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 03:45 PM
It is a noticeable Butt Dyno felt difference.

I have been lightening flywheels for awhile now... of the more then 2 dozen completed for one model bike, and 7 on another not one person has been disappointed with the results.

Traction and control are a big deal in the standing mile though... If you cant put it to the ground, your terminal speed at the lights will show it.

Erik

Thats good to know.

Hopefully i can get it to the ground. Sticky tire, progressive nitrous controller, and all the power coming at high rpm's should hopefully help me. All the weight im eliminating off the bike and engine will probly render all that null and void though... :doh:

The Big Spank Daddy
06-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Not a rocket scientist or aerodynamicist, but basic understanding of HP numbers and aero drag to get most any reasonable sport bike to 200mph in one mile will require about 200hp. At first seeing the title I thought “no way”, but then I saw the note about 80hp of nitrous.

So I did not really see much in the post about the research on the nitrous. Engine mods are quite impressive, but can the stock carbs deliver enough fuel for the nitrous? When do ya give it the juice and for how long? What about a test run?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Wondering if anyone here has experience with ceramic bearings. Im not sure if i want to go to that extreme on the bike($200-$300 a wheel) but it would be nice to know if they actually would make a difference or not.

The Big Spank Daddy
06-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I saw this on TV the other day on an automotive show

http://www.xadousa.com/

Supposed to ceramic coat the internal engine parts.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Not a rocket scientist or aerodynamicist, but basic understanding of HP numbers and aero drag to get most any reasonable sport bike to 200mph in one mile will require about 200hp. At first seeing the title I thought “no way”, but then I saw the note about 80hp of nitrous.

So I did not really see much in the post about the research on the nitrous. Engine mods are quite impressive, but can the stock carbs deliver enough fuel for the nitrous? When do ya give it the juice and for how long? What about a test run?

Yes, my math tells me i will need 200HP to get to 200mph. I am basically spending most of my time and money on the engine first and then on the bike next(besides basic aero stuff). The bike is fuel injected and the average numbers ive seen on my model(05-06 ZX6RR) with fuel management, K+N filter, + full exhaust is 115RWHP so im within sight distance of my goal before the engine work or the nitrous. The RR version has better cams than the more common ZX6R (commonly referred to as the 636), better cylinder head with larger valves, heavier valve springs, smaller bore and shorter stroke. It equates to a 16,500rpm redline. The bike is fuel injected, has 8 injectors, and im pretty sure i wont be maxing them out with what im doing, but ugraded injectors (higher flow rate) are available if need be.

Im doing a progressive controller so it wont be the entire shot of nitrous all at once. Im still figuring out the details but the way i see it is i probly wont even engage the nitrous until 2nd gear and then continue it through 6th. The good thing about the controller is it can be set to automatically engage the nitrous at a set rpm, throttle position, and gear(or any combination of those). It can also DISengage the nitrous the same way which is good for our bikes which cut fuel when you hit the rev limiter which would make it go boom really quick...

Honestly there wont really be any practice runs between now and then since i wouldnt trust doing that on public roads, but the most important part of the run is getting a good takeoff and a good balance between taking off quickly, not spinning the tire(or flipping over backwards) so im hoping to have the bike ready at least a month ahead of the event so i can do some test and tune at the dragstrip. If i can master a good launch then i figure im halfway there...

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I saw this on TV the other day on an automotive show

http://www.xadousa.com/

Supposed to ceramic coat the internal engine parts.

Im a little wary about something like this. I just looked on their site and searched for reviews and didnt find much even though its been around at least 6 yrs...

If i was to do ceramic bearings i would go with the actual bearings. I mean just in connecting rods and pistons i have $1800... That is JUST the price of the parts not any machine work, etc... Unless i was SURE there were no ill effects and it would help i wouldnt be able to bring myself to risk it...

The Big Spank Daddy
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Is the nitrous a Kit? I'm wondering how it increases the fuel charge to keep the air fuel ratio correct? On cars the nitrous system adds extra fuel to compensate for the lean condition the nitrous creates as it does its magic.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Is the nitrous a Kit? I'm wondering how it increases the fuel charge to keep the air fuel ratio correct? On cars the nitrous system adds extra fuel to compensate for the lean condition the nitrous creates as it does its magic.

Somewhat. Im getting the kit and additional parts from my supplier, Dynotune Nitrous, and it will be dyno tuned. It is a "dry nitrous system" which means there isnt a seperate fuel system to add fuel with the nitrous. The extra fuel is added by the bikes fuel injection system by tricking it into thinking it needs to add fuel and by dyno tuning it to ensure that you are getting the correct A/F ratio.

ed29
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
I was wondering about the fuel part too. Thanks for that info.

As for practice, gather your gear and start practicing launches at the drag strip in Kennedale. Close to home and good traction. Who cares if it is only an eighth mile when launching is your goal. Ennis has the quarter mile strip when you want to see better numbers and reach third, forth or fifth gear. I would expect no less than 110 at the eighth and about 135 to 140 in the quarter for speed to get to the 200 on top. Real estate on the run vanishes fast as speed climb.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
06-26-2013, 05:42 PM
I was wondering about the fuel part too. Thanks for that info.

As for practice, gather your gear and start practicing launches at the drag strip in Kennedale. Close to home and good traction. Who cares if it is only an eighth mile when launching is your goal. Ennis has the quarter mile strip when you want to see better numbers and reach third, forth or fifth gear. I would expect no less than 110 at the eighth and about 135 to 140 in the quarter for speed to get to the 200 on top. Real estate on the run vanishes fast as speed climb.

Yeah, Kennedale is just down the road from me and isnt to crowded so i can get in quite a few runs on a "run what ya brung"(grudge) night. Im itching to get it back together but ive yet to tear the engine down... LOL. Ive had a few jobs i had to catch up on with customers bikes so by the end of the week ill be caught up enough to get back on my bike. I literally have boxes and boxes of parts stacked up and i get antsy everytime i walk past the "pile" lol

Rangerscott
06-29-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.aaperf.com/zx10r-kit.html

I know it's for a 1000, but it's still nice.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Tore the entire engine down today. Got the crankshaft, flywheel, and Carrillo rods boxed up to drop off at the machine shop before work in the morning. Cool thing about going total loss charging system in my bike is the pickup coil reads off the right side of the engine so im going to have the flywheel machined down to only enough to hold the starter clutch so i can eliminate 2/3 of the flywheel...

Oh and i took lots of pics while disassembling the engine. Ill try to get them uploaded and posted tonite or first thing in the morning.

pazz
07-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Well, if you haven't seen it yet, I hate to bring you the news. On page 19 in this month's Motorcyclist magazine, there's a picture of a turbo GSX-R750 that went 209.89 mph at the Ohio mile fueled on E85.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Well, if you haven't seen it yet, I hate to bring you the news. On page 19 in this month's Motorcyclist magazine, there's a picture of a turbo GSX-R750 that went 209.89 mph at the Ohio mile fueled on E85.

That sucks. Well he may have done it on a 750 but at least i can do it(or try) on a 600cc.

pazz
07-01-2013, 09:09 PM
That's the spirit! Doing it on a 600 will be even more impressive. Best of luck.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Started the teardown by getting cylinders 1 + 4 on TDC as indicated by the timing marks
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine3_zps8315e7e0.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine3_zps8315e7e0.jpg.html)
I verified that it actually had them on TDC and not 180 degrees off by checking the marks on the cams sprockets
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine4_zps31733cb9.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine4_zps31733cb9.jpg.html)
Next i pulled the cam chain tensioner. Just pull the two 8mm bolts out evenly
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine2_zps6f801eca.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine2_zps6f801eca.jpg.html)
From there i began pulling the cam cap bolts out in a multi step sequence
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine1_zpscb08a54c.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine1_zpscb08a54c.jpg.html)
Its VERY important to follow the manufacturers recommended procedure for doing this so you dont warp or crack the cam cap which is align bored to the head and you have to replace entire cylinder head if you break the cam cap
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine5_zps4e4aa15e.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine5_zps4e4aa15e.jpg.html)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Once the cam cap is off i can remove the camshafts
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine6_zpsac29cea1.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine6_zpsac29cea1.jpg.html)
Once those are removed i can loosen the cylinder head bolts
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine7_zps5b8d7649.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine7_zps5b8d7649.jpg.html)
It is VERY important to again follow the manufacturers recommended procedure for loosening the head bolts so you dont warp the cylinder head. I follow a 3 step loosening process on this step
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine8_zpsfe7b3796.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine8_zpsfe7b3796.jpg.html)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-01-2013, 09:41 PM
This is what it looks like after ive pulled the cylinder head
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine9_zps1a2df67e.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine9_zps1a2df67e.jpg.html)
The pistons and cylinders still look brand new. Still has the crosshatching on the cylinders
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine10_zpsed33c94c.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine10_zpsed33c94c.jpg.html)
Next i pull the cylinder. If i was going to be reusing the pistons/rings i would be more careful with them and not lay them against the block.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine13_zps02a4343c.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine13_zps02a4343c.jpg.html)
Next i pull the oil pan
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine14_zps56dac284.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine14_zps56dac284.jpg.html)
I then split cases and pull the crankshaft out
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine16_zps5509c173.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine16_zps5509c173.jpg.html)
Here is the flywheel that i pulled off the crankshaft. This is the backside of it and the raised section with 3 bolts is the starter clutch. I will be having the flywheel machined down only as big as the starter clutch
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine15_zps4f9c0030.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine15_zps4f9c0030.jpg.html)
STOCK OEM H-Beam connecting rods
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine17_zps1ce9ca47.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine17_zps1ce9ca47.jpg.html)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Parts are at the machine shop. Looking at next week(hopefully) for them to be done.

Guess i can go ahead and get some other things the bike needs like tires, SS brake lines, etc.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Still waiting for all my parts to get back from machine shop. Nothing much else to update currently.

Viethorse
07-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Howdy. Are you the one who made the CX500 cafe racer as below photo?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPMl7h2kd_Au0dBJrVbGvSVGOcxElI2 MZwZT4OyR00W408ip-d
It's really awesome mod. I have also made a CX650 to be a cafe racer. Build thread in this forum as well.
I am in for watching your project progress.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Howdy. Are you the one who made the CX500 cafe racer as below photo?
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPMl7h2kd_Au0dBJrVbGvSVGOcxElI2 MZwZT4OyR00W408ip-d
It's really awesome mod. I have also made a CX650 to be a cafe racer. Build thread in this forum as well.
I am in for watching your project progress.

Sorry, that wasnt me. Ive built a couple Harley Sportster customs that ive posted on this forum but never built a CX500.

I should have some more updates in the next week or so. After i get the parts back from the machine shop im going to send the crankshaft, camshafts, and transmission gears/shafts off to get Cryo treated then i can go back together with the engine.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Just found out the bad news. Bill Warner passed away yesterday from injuries sustained during a wreck trying to beat his record.

Heres a link to the youtube vid talking about what happened if anyones interested
RIP Video: Bill Warner Crash | Died While Trying To Beat 300 MPH Record - YouTube

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Threw the bodywork on today and snapped a few pics. The front fender isnt mounted yet, just sitting up there for now.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/bike1_zps64ab090e.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/bike1_zps64ab090e.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/bike2_zps4c31b3ab.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/bike2_zps4c31b3ab.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/bike3_zps0ef42726.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/bike3_zps0ef42726.jpg.html)

Monkey Wrench Cycles
07-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Getting my parts back from the machine shop next week.

In other news i went to our Tucker Rocky dealer show last weekend and met some good people including the guys at EBC brakes. They are sponsoring me with their newly formulated race brake pads and contour rotors. The bike should safely stop on a dime now!!

grandpaul
07-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Very sad about Bill, I must have handed him a hundred time slips at Goliad and Beeville (Texas mile venues).

Be careful with those new brakes; you should have plenty of stopping distance, so don't push it and lock up!

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Picked up my parts from the machine shop. Anyone needs any type of performance or engine machine work done, Automotive Machine + Supply off Carol St(off 7th st near downtown) is the the place to go.

Crankshaft lightened, knife edged, and balanced with the rest of the rotating assembly
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/crank_zpse8e01f72.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/crank_zpse8e01f72.jpg.html)
Heres the cylinder head. CNC porting, port matched intakes, 5 angle valve job, all tolerances checked, and head decked
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/cnchead_zps17567b40.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/cnchead_zps17567b40.jpg.html)
Heres the before + after pics of the flywheel. Since im going with total loss charging system no need to have the extra rotating weight of the flywheel magnets and extra metal. Had it machined down to just enough to hold the starter clutch since im not a big fan of bump starting the bike...
BEFORE:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/engine15_zps4f9c0030.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/engine15_zps4f9c0030.jpg.html)
AFTER:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/flywheel_zpsc8947355.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/flywheel_zpsc8947355.jpg.html)

Next i need to send the JE big bore pistons and the cylinder off to millenium technologies to have them bore and nikasil coat the cylinder. After that its assembly and see what it can do on the dyno with the nitrous installed...

hizzo3
08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Do you have start and finish weights of the components to show how much was removed?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Do you have start and finish weights of the components to show how much was removed?

No, i wish i did. I forgot to tell them to weigh the parts and i didnt think to weigh them before i sent them off. They did estimate 2-3lbs weight loss on the crank and i know at least that much was taken off the flywheel if not a little more.

hizzo3
08-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Nice.

ed29
08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Tom and his people at AMS do great work. Tom was "semi-retired" several years ago, but sure works hard for one who is supposed to be slowing down and letting his son take the shop over. In Tom's mind close enough is not good enough. Perfect is his goal on everything he works on. Looking forward to the numbers that engine produces.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Tom and his people at AMS do great work. Tom was "semi-retired" several years ago, but sure works hard for one who is supposed to be slowing down and letting his son take the shop over. In Tom's mind close enough is not good enough. Perfect is his goal on everything he works on. Looking forward to the numbers that engine produces.

Yeah, Tom has his own little shop now doing nothing but one-off stuff. Steve and Eric run AMS now.

It should make good numbers and im getting really antsy about getting it back together just to see how much i can make...

hizzo3
08-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Hmm sounds like a dyno day is in order.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Hmm sounds like a dyno day is in order.

Will be taking it to Cliff over at Piper Performance for dyno tuning when its together.

hizzo3
08-06-2013, 04:01 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make a budget wind tunnel so that you can see if you have any unneeded drag spots.

Are you keeping the stock metal tank?

Over hear good about piper.. Dyno my vstrom is on the list to get it tuned.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Got the pistons/cylinder boxed up and ready to send out on Monday. Ordered my nitrous system, nitrous controller, and purge kit yesterday so those should be here next week.

Gravel Guy
08-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Got the pistons/cylinder boxed up and ready to send out on Monday. Ordered my nitrous system, nitrous controller, and purge kit yesterday so those should be here next week.

getting serious.....cool! ;-)

wanabeguru
08-10-2013, 01:47 PM
thoroughly enjoying the thread. Good luck!!!

TexBiker
08-10-2013, 06:13 PM
I wonder how hard it would be to make a budget wind tunnel so that you can see if you have any unneeded drag spots.

No such thing as a "budget wind tunnnel" if you want to get usable info. Much more cost effective to just rent time from a real one. We used Wind Shear Inc in North Carolina when we needed aero data. 10yrs ago, they only went up to 180mph on their tunnel, but that's fast enough to give you all the info you need on a bike. The data will hold for speeds up to 250mph or so. Even the slickest bike will still be only slightly more aero dynamic than a small barn, anyway.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-10-2013, 07:03 PM
No such thing as a "budget wind tunnnel" if you want to get usable info. Much more cost effective to just rent time from a real one. We used Wind Shear Inc in North Carolina when we needed aero data. 10yrs ago, they only went up to 180mph on their tunnel, but that's fast enough to give you all the info you need on a bike. The data will hold for speeds up to 250mph or so. Even the slickest bike will still be only slightly more aero dynamic than a small barn, anyway.

Pretty much the gist of it. I cannot even find anyone locally that offers a wind tunnel for rent. I came across something about Texas Motor Speedway having a wind tunnel but cant find any info so I assume they don't rent it to the public. From what I can gather id be looking around $400-$500 an HOUR to rent one anyway.

I did come across a good article awhile back that a mechanical engineering student did for his final project titled "optimization of sportbike aerodynamics" that gives some great info and tests were done on a 1/9 scale model as well as CFD testing. Surprisingly the biggest amount of drag was the radiator opening behind the front wheel. I would have to pay to download the article but its free to look at so ill link it here if anyones interested.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/98097257/Optimization-of-Sportbike-Aerodynamics

TexBiker
08-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Pretty much the gist of it. I cannot even find anyone locally that offers a wind tunnel for rent. I came across something about Texas Motor Speedway having a wind tunnel but cant find any info so I assume they don't rent it to the public. From what I can gather id be looking around $400-$500 an HOUR to rent one anyway.

Well, I know A&M has several wind tunnels and there are several more in Houston near the NASA complexes. When I was at Texas Tech 20 years ago, they had a tunnel for scale models, but not sure if they've built a full-size version since then. UT probably has at least one.

Might be worth a call to see if they will rent some time.

E.Marquez
08-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Texas A&M Wind tunnel
http://wind.tamu.edu/facilities.htm
http://wind.tamu.edu/terms.htm

not a cheap option for sure
The basic rate is $470 per occupancy hour. Occupancy is based on a nine (9) hour day, five (5) day week. Normal operating hours are 7am – 5pm, Monday through Friday. The minimum fee for entry is one day’s time or $4,230. Occupancy starts with test section preparation for model installation and ends with model removal and test section restoration. For multiple day tests, the minimum time that will be invoiced is 9 hours per day with the final day’s testing being at least 5 hours.
The basic occupancy rate includes the following:
a. Wind Tunnel rental.

b. Data reduction that includes calibration and blockage correction. Data will be presented to the customer in electronic format.

c. Personnel to operate the wind tunnel and associated equipment.

d. Personnel to help install and remove model, and assist with model changes, instrumentation checkout.

e. Digital photographs obtained during the test for recording purposes.
Additional charges to the basic rate for wind tunnel tests are as follows:
a. Internal strain gauge balances have a charge of $50 per hour.

b. Electronic pressure scanners have a charge of $50 per hour per scanner.

c. Auxiliary air or electrical drive systems, $150 per hour.

d. Hotwire anemometer use (single channel), $50 per hour. (Higher channel counts can be arranged if needed.)

e. High speed camera, $50 per hour.

f. Bicycle mount, $50 per hour.
Additional Wind Tunnel services are available. Charges can vary and depend on tasks and proposals. Specific costs are below. Others will be provided on request.
a. Overtime operation for time exceeding 10 hours per day, $250/hr above the hourly tunnel rate. Overtime operation must be approved by the Director or a designee.

b. Engineering services, travel, project management, and test reporting beyond that described in 2b., $125/hr.

c. Extra test support personnel; $50/hr for a technician, $15/hr for a student worker.

d. Operation of high-pressure air compressors for non-LSWT use, $50/hr.
Wind Tunnel Fabrication services are available. Charges depend on specific machining requirements. Specific costs are below; others will be provided on request. Material costs are charged to the customer at the LSWT cost.
a. Machining Services, $85/hr.

b. RP fabrication costs vary; please contact us for an estimate.
The customer will assume all expenses of shipping models to and from the Wind Tunnel facility. Wind tunnel personnel will assist in packing and shipping, but cannot take responsibility for any damage that may occur.

The customer will assume repair expenses to the facility or equipment in the event of customer-supplied model failure or customer negligence.

A valid purchase order, signed TEES contract or deposit of $1500 per occupancy day is required to reserve wind tunnel time.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah, im gonna say that $4200 is out of my budget...:eek2:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Im now officially registered for the Texas Mile

hizzo3
08-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Looks pretty aerodynamic.
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/106858.jpg

Here are some useful images dealing with pressure, which can be used to infer drag.
http://www.cd-adapco.com/sites/default/files/styles/medium/public/2652_sized.jpg?itok=G9LznbV6
http://www.smu.ac.uk/smumotorsport/images/stories/CFD.png

Here is a good article to read on that gives more insight into aerodynamics.
http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Aerodynamics/AERO.htm

Float around some of the R/C plane & rocketry sites and you can learn the more detailed stuff.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
I plan to do some cost effective mods to lower drag but anything major will have to wait till the next go around. I also do not want to go full streamlined with it since the busa guys aren't doing it and even though my bike has a larger coefficient of drag I would like to overcome that and still stick to the basic design of the motorcycle just to say I did so.

hizzo3
08-12-2013, 01:39 PM
TWT stickers are cost effective aerodynamic options :trust:

BTW there are how to's for diy wind tunnels.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/WindTunnel/build.html

All you really need is a tube big enough to put the bike (and you) in, a plenium to stabilize and clean your air flow and enough fans to pump air into the plenium to make the speed you want. I've seen small scale for rockets.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-12-2013, 01:48 PM
TWT stickers are cost effective aerodynamic options :trust:

BTW there are how to's for diy wind tunnels.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/WindTunnel/build.html

Ill check into the wind tunnel stuff but honestly im running out of time and money before the oct run....

If I were to get a couple stickers comp'ed I think I could find a place on the bike for them :thumb:

Thrasherg
08-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Fingers crossed for a good result.. Be sure to post plenty of pics..

Gray

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Got the nitrous kit and nitrous controller in, got the scotts performance steering damper on order, Millenium Technologies has my pistons and cylinder already and they should be shipping it back to me the first part of next week. Then it all has to be assembled.

grandpaul
08-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I probably won't be able to make the October 'Mile meet, I'd like to see how you do.

October is usually the first chance my wife and I get to take a break without 2 kids in tow; so when we do, the only motorcycles involved are riding in the hill country.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
08-31-2013, 10:13 AM
Ill post plenty of pics and videos.

Got the cylinder/pistons back, got my steering damper as well. I will start assembling the engine next week then it needs to go off for dyno tuning.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Guess i didnt post but i started assembling the engine friday afternoon and thats when i opened my box from millinium and found out they sent me the cylinder back but no pistons!! They were closed so had to wait till monday when they opened back up to call. They found them and it was a mistake by who boxed it up for shipping. To their credit they asked how soon i needed it and offered to overnight it but since i wasnt in that big of a hurry i told them ups ground was fine. Getting my parts back from cryo treating thur. or friday. Got my specialized overbore gasket from cometic already, and should be able to get the engine together by saturday. Then it goes into the bike and i can get the nitrous system hooked up and all the other goodies on it.

longhorn2000
10-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Any word on how its going?

shanedman
10-06-2013, 01:10 AM
:popcorn:

E.Marquez
10-06-2013, 12:11 PM
October 25-27, 2013 fast approaching.
My speed project is on indefinite hold due to finances...
I wish you the best of luck.. Post an update when you get a moment so we can live though your adventures.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Yes, it is approaching VERY fast... Actually up at the shop as we speak trying to get it finished. It will be going to dyno tuner this week. Most everythings done. Getting the progressive nitrous controller wired in right now and that will be the last of the wiring. Its been a hellacious last week with unexpected things popping up and delays but it WILL be done and at the tuners this week come **** or highwater...

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
Well the bike runs. Working on mounting the body panels on and making the mount for the muffler and if it isnt raining tomorrow(monday 14th) ill be taking it to get dyno tuned. Here is a pic i took the other day after the first startup. My kid just had to be in the pic... LOL

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-13-2013, 12:25 PM
October 25-27, 2013 fast approaching.
My speed project is on indefinite hold due to finances...
I wish you the best of luck.. Post an update when you get a moment so we can live though your adventures.

What is your speed project?

E.Marquez
10-13-2013, 12:53 PM
What is your speed project?

V-Twin , Modified "Enduro" based chassis, SXV Aprilia 5.5

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Stickers on and bike done. Waiting on the rain to clear up so i can take it to get dynoed.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-14-2013, 01:58 PM
V-Twin , Modified "Enduro" based chassis, SXV Aprilia 5.5

Sounds cool. Gonna make it to the next event around march?

E.Marquez
10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Sounds cool. Gonna make it to the next event around march?

Depends on the follow on job opertunites in the next few weeks- months

Vision, skill, time are available, disposable cash is not.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Depends on the follow on job opertunites in the next few weeks- months

Vision, skill, time are available, disposable cash is not.

I know the feeling. Even though i have some disposable income ive went WELL OVER my budget for this build and truth be told i quit keeping track thousands of dollars ago...

hizzo3
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Well the bike runs. Working on mounting the body panels on and making the mount for the muffler and if it isnt raining tomorrow(monday 14th) ill be taking it to get dyno tuned. Here is a pic i took the other day after the first startup. My kid just had to be in the pic... LOL

How'd the dyno go? Curious if you got what you were shooting for.

09GraySilverBusa
10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
Looks good so far! Strip the seat pad & cover and sit on just the pan because you want to be as low as you possibly can! It makes a difference on the big end of the track.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
How'd the dyno go? Curious if you got what you were shooting for.

Took it to the dyno yesterday. He will have it back to me early next week.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Looks good so far! Strip the seat pad & cover and sit on just the pan because you want to be as low as you possibly can! It makes a difference on the big end of the track.

Thanks for the suggestion. When i get the bike back ill see what i can do.

09GraySilverBusa
10-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. When i get the bike back ill see what i can do.

I've even gone so far as to completely remove the seat pan and sit on the battery and frame rails :mrgreen: I'm 6'1" so every little bit helps.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-17-2013, 10:49 AM
I've even gone so far as to completely remove the seat pan and sit on the battery and frame rails :mrgreen: I'm 6'1" so every little bit helps.

Im 5'6 so hopefully i wont have to go to that extent... LOL

hizzo3
10-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Don't sweat... That could be painful.

ftl900
10-17-2013, 11:48 AM
Hey, i just ran into the end of this story... not realizing that the Houston Mile is still 10 days off. Probably 10 very short days for you. :eek2:

Any preliminary results from the dyno yet? Are you close to your target HP numbers??

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Hey, i just ran into the end of this story... not realizing that the Houston Mile is still 10 days off. Probably 10 very short days for you. :eek2:

Any preliminary results from the dyno yet? Are you close to your target HP numbers??

Just dropped it off at dyno yesterday and houston mile was cancelled with Bill's passing. Texas mile is what im running and im leaving on the 24th, 7 days from now and yes, its VERY short days...

He started breaking the engine in yesterday and today and once thats done and oil changed for some synthetic Amsoil, the tuning can begin... Ill keep the thread posted of preliminary numbers as they become available to me.

09GraySilverBusa
10-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Don't sweat... That could be painful.

:eek2:

The Houston Mile was canceled this October because the Texas Mile organizers and Houston joined forces. Unfortunatly they canceled it AFTER Texas Mile registration was FULL. Texas Mile (Beaville) is good but, Houston (Ellington) is a much nicer runway.

1 wheel peel
10-23-2013, 12:17 PM
......im leaving on the 24th, 7 days from now and yes, its VERY short days...

He started breaking the engine in yesterday and today and once thats done and oil changed for some synthetic Amsoil, the tuning can begin... Ill keep the thread posted of preliminary numbers as they become available to me.
Started packing yet?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Started packing yet?

still straightening out issues and gonna pull an all nighter tonite if need be...

dualsportvet
10-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Please be careful. Stay tucked in the whole way. And watch the track at the end. There's a bump at the end (if you haven't ran the TX mile. The last two times I was there, one guy ate it hard but I think lived, the other guy wasn't so lucky. He made a rookie mistake and sat up or something. But basically the wind got him and that was it.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-24-2013, 10:45 AM
Please be careful. Stay tucked in the whole way. And watch the track at the end. There's a bump at the end (if you haven't ran the TX mile. The last two times I was there, one guy ate it hard but I think lived, the other guy wasn't so lucky. He made a rookie mistake and sat up or something. But basically the wind got him and that was it.

Thanks for the concern. Yeah, i have heard about the bump at the end and i plan to be very careful the first couple runs since those are runs to get the license anyway and i wont be able to open it up all the way.

Believe i got all the issues worked out with the bike about midnight last nite and going back together with it today. With any luck ill be heading back to the dyno tuners this afternoon and heading out tonight.

Gilk51
10-27-2013, 09:19 AM
from Facebook yesterday (10/26) - MWC license qualification runs:

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/500/medium/monkey_wrench_texas_mile.jpg

Good luck, Frank! :rider:

Gravel Guy
10-27-2013, 12:18 PM
from Facebook yesterday (10/26) - MRC license qualification runs:

http://www.twtex.com/photopost/data/500/medium/monkey_wrench_texas_mile.jpg

Good luck, Frank! :rider:

Amen! :sun:

grandpaul
10-28-2013, 11:16 AM
RESULTS?

I missed going; I'll be there in April.

hizzo3
10-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Yes results please. I checked last night, hoping to see good numbers and that you made it safe.

Gilk51
10-28-2013, 02:54 PM
There was a limited report on FB but he had some problems and didn't get to where he wanted to be. Hopefully, he will have the full scoop for us after he gets back and recovers.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Ok. So i fought problems all weekend. My best full run was 155 in half and 168 in mile with alot of oil blowby from the crankcase vent(straight into airbox) and messed up settings on nitrous controller which caused it to stop spraying 2500 rpm below rev limiter...

Cleaned oil up, set nitrous controller, filled spare bottle, upped nitrous jet, and went for one last run of the day. It was 85 degrees, bottle was in sun, etc.... Long story short, it ran like a bat outa you know where till the top part of 6th, then i holed a piston at around 180+... Heres the vid of last run.

Nitrous Ninja ZX6-RR Blows engine at 180+(Texas Mile) - YouTube

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Here are my last two runs. Top was the run i holed the piston.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/frankysfree/runs_zpsa011d511.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/frankysfree/media/runs_zpsa011d511.jpg.html)

dualsportvet
10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Well ****, I was pulling for you. Are you gonna try again?

09GraySilverBusa
10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
That sux! At least you got several licensing runs out of the way to move your way up the ladder.

hizzo3
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm gonna say that you taking a bike, putting it all together like this, and running it and getting most the way there is excellent! I'm sad to see you didn't meet your goal, but that is what racing is all about...trial and error. I'm sure you learned quite a bit and will be trilled to get it all sorted out by your next run.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Thanks guys. I had fun and will definately be rebuilding for another go at it. Wont make the spring run but will be back down to either there or Houston Mile in October of next year. I gained so much knowledge and insight on this trip and met some great people who were all willing to help, loan tools, supplies, generators, etc to help me get fixed up and it was all very appreciated.

And yeah, i got my hard card license that will save me from redoing all the mundane low mph runs again next go around.

grandpaul
10-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Well done, the rest will be incremental steps, typically each one smaller than the one before.

When you get to this level, you have to spend VAST sums of money to make big steps up the speed ladder.

Just ask the dozens of people that have gone 200+ anywhere else in the country, then struggle to go 180 at Bonneville!

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Well done, the rest will be incremental steps, typically each one smaller than the one before.

When you get to this level, you have to spend VAST sums of money to make big steps up the speed ladder.

Just ask the dozens of people that have gone 200+ anywhere else in the country, then struggle to go 180 at Bonneville!

Yeah, at this point im limited to fixing the damage caused from the last run, gonna tweak a couple things, add a catch can for the oil blowby, and get it back together with a kit ECU to adjust timing as well as fuel and i should be able to get the numbers i want with more time for an in depth tune. Also going to get a bottle heater so i can control pressure in the nitrous bottles as i think that was what broke the camels back. I think it was 300-400lbs to high on the pressure and it caused an overly lean condition.

The good is that alot of the stuff is out of the way already like bodywork, clip-ons, tires, exhaust, gear, and all the other stuff i had to buy/build/fabricate/install before running this time.

09GraySilverBusa
10-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Data log with an Innovate DL-32 and LC-1 Wideband O2 because logging each run is priceless!

You'll get there :rider:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Data log with an Innovate DL-32 and LC-1 Wideband O2 because logging each run is priceless!

You'll get there :rider:

Yeah, i actually thought about that AFTERWARDS... LOL. Ill definately check into that. I need a way to pull timing when the nitrous comes on as well... I think that may have been part of the problem as well. They dont make any timing retard boxes for a 600 though... :doh:

09GraySilverBusa
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Run C16 fuel and you only need to pull a couple of degrees out, then you can run it that way all the way through.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Run C16 fuel and you only need to pull a couple of degrees out, then you can run it that way all the way through.

I was running C12...

hizzo3
10-29-2013, 01:34 PM
You can always go custom and run a micro/mega squirt. Then you will get fuel and timing however you want. Takes some time to code, but its fully customizable.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 01:41 PM
You can always go custom and run a micro/mega squirt. Then you will get fuel and timing however you want. Takes some time to code, but its fully customizable.

That would be way to much trouble imo. It almost takes a computer programmer to set it up on a VW flat 4, imagine programming one on an I-4 with 8 injectors, 16,500 redline, timing retard, etc...

I can get rid of the Bazzaz and get a power commander and then get the ignition timing box for that and control ignition and even pull up to 10 degrees of timing based on throttle position and rpm. They also have the kit ECU for my bike that eliminates the need for any aftermarket controllers for fuel and i can adjust timing as well but not sure if i can set it to pull timing like the PC but i guess i could just take away timing in those parameters if im always running the nitrous...

I feel like i need some way to pull timing when spraying since i already tried C12 and holed a piston still... Especially nice if im datalogging and can make adjustments as needed for different conditions than in a climate controlled dyno room....

09GraySilverBusa
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
I was running C12...
That should be good. Thought you might have been running Premium grade pump gas, which requires pulling more timimng out when spraying.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 01:48 PM
That should be good. Thought you might have been running Premium grade pump gas, which requires pulling more timimng out when spraying.

C12, 13.5:1 CR and stock CR9E plug. Was on the phone with JE pistons this morning for some customers parts and mentioned about the run and we got to talking. He told me i should have run a colder plug since i wasnt pulling timing and thinks that coupled with to much bottle pressure just detonated my engine to death... I went with the recommendation of the guys i got the nitrous setup from but he was apparently under the impression i was pulling timing so told me stock plug was fine...

09GraySilverBusa
10-29-2013, 01:51 PM
C12, 13.5:1 CR and stock CR9E plug. Was on the phone with JE pistons this morning for some customers parts and mentioned about the run and we got to talking. He told me i should have run a colder plug since i wasnt pulling timing and thinks that coupled with to much bottle pressure just detonated my engine to death... I went with the recommendation of the guys i got the nitrous setup from but he was apparently under the impression i was pulling timing so told me stock plug was fine...
Yes, your right on with that!

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
I think i may have found a solution. Anyone heard of Woolich Racing ECU flasher? Ive heard its big with the busas and it allows me to change fuel and ignition on the stock ecu. Much cheaper than pulling off Bazzaz to get a PC3 and then getting their ignition module.
http://www.woolichracing.com/Products.aspx?Manufacturer=Kawasaki&Model=ZX6RR&Year=2005&#productTable

1 wheel peel
10-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Yes sir.:thumb:

09GraySilverBusa
10-30-2013, 11:30 AM
I think i may have found a solution. Anyone heard of Woolich Racing ECU flasher? Ive heard its big with the busas and it allows me to change fuel and ignition on the stock ecu. Much cheaper than pulling off Bazzaz to get a PC3 and then getting their ignition module.
http://www.woolichracing.com/Products.aspx?Manufacturer=Kawasaki&Model=ZX6RR&Year=2005&#productTable

That's what I've been using, as well as the DL-32 and LC-1.

longhorn2000
10-30-2013, 12:28 PM
I believe the pc-v has the ablity to switch between two maps for fuel and timing. Would that be better by creating a map for fuel and another map for fuel and nitrious?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I believe the pc-v has the ablity to switch between two maps for fuel and timing. Would that be better by creating a map for fuel and another map for fuel and nitrious?

problem is they dont make a PC 5 for my bike. Also i would like to be able to make any changes in the ECU as opposed to having a piggyback system hooked inline taking up power since its a total loss system.

Thrasherg
10-30-2013, 03:43 PM
so where are the pictures of the piston that went on holiday during your last run?? Hope you got back home without any issues..

Gary

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-30-2013, 05:51 PM
havent pulled head yet. Will get pics by the end of the week.

Thrasherg
10-31-2013, 12:07 PM
havent pulled head yet. Will get pics by the end of the week.

Don't tell me you have other things to do!! You can't let life get in the way of a good story!! :rofl: Just pulling your leg..

When is the next outing planned? I guess next year, but asking none the less.. :doh:

Gary

Monkey Wrench Cycles
10-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Haha. Yeah, im working on it.

I wont be able to make the next run in spring as im getting married in March and honeymoon afterward and the soon to be wife says i cant go racing on our honeymoon... LOL. So it will be october i guess.

wanabeguru
10-31-2013, 04:35 PM
cONGRATS ON YOUR UPCOMING NUPTIALS![DUMB CAPS LOK!] Good luck on next year's run.

Monkey Wrench Cycles
12-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Havent been on in awhile. Here is the vid of my next to the last run. This is where i first started experiencing oil blowby and found out the nitrous controller was cutting off a couple thousand rpm before limiter so my half mile speed was good but one mile speed not so much since it pretty much wasnt spraying the last half mile since the rpms were up there and the tune was for nitrous so it was running super rich when not spraying...

Texas Mile 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR - YouTube

Gravel Guy
12-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Sweet music!! :sun:

M38A1
12-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Might not be your intended 200, but sheesh - 168.5 is respectful in my book. :clap:

Monkey Wrench Cycles
01-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Got my new engine dyno tuned today. Here is the vid i took. The real action starts at 0:20

Nitrous ZX6RR Dyno Tune - YouTube

dualsportvet
01-07-2015, 08:26 AM
Oh come on, a dyno video and no numbers?

Monkey Wrench Cycles
01-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Haha. It was comparable to the dyno last year. Right around 175. The sound was sweet when it got up to full tilt!!