• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rectified my rectifier

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I went back over and detailed quit a few areas on my Bandit after completing the naked conversion a while back, and one of them was something that I had been wanting to for quite some time which I have done before on other rectifiers on other bikes I've owned, which was to machine off the tops of the fins on the rectifier and hand sand and polish the exposed tops of the fins on my Blanchard ground steel lapping plate.

I took one of my many aluminum plates I have for bolting one off parts to for custom machining, and drilled and tapped two holes to bolt down the rectifier which I machined about .06 off of the tops of the fins in order to get all the fins looking the same. :rider:

It really makes the rectifier stand out, and the picture does not show just how good it really looks in person. :)

007-1_zps2c60ec60.jpg

Very nicely done! Suzuki is so hit and miss with their charging systems.
Some good solid systems, some you would think they screwed it up on purpose.
My 80 gs1kg stock has the RR mounted and grounded to the bottom of battery box and that is rubber isolated to make sure the regulator won't regulate right.

Re: Recitfying the rectifier

Nice job MM!! Blanchard grinder, that brings back some memories!!

Beautiful work Scott. Just love looking at all the changes you have made to that bike.

Scott: looks great! You might want to keep an eye on it's temperature as part of the cooling process is attributated to heat radiation from a black surface[ i admit the change in black area is small but i don't know how close to tolerances Suzuki designed the part ]. Heat greatly affects solid state devices and once exceeding a specific tolerance will go into thermal runaway[like a stuck throttle] and will self destruct rapidly[resulting in failure of the electrical system either in part or entirely]. A question: did Suzuki put heat sink grease on the back side? And of course, I always enjoy your posts on how/what you did to your Bandit!

Scott: looks great! You might want to keep an eye on it's temperature as part of the cooling process is attributated to heat radiation from a black surface[ i admit the change in black area is small but i don't know how close to tolerances Suzuki designed the part ]. Heat greatly affects solid state devices and once exceeding a specific tolerance will go into thermal runaway[like a stuck throttle] and will self destruct rapidly[resulting in failure of the electrical system either in part or entirely]. A question: did Suzuki put heat sink grease on the back side? And of course, I always enjoy your posts on how/what you did to your Bandit!

Well considering that stock the recitfier is mounted directly behind the hot cylinder block with little to no air flow past it, and that my rectifier relocation mount position the rectifier fully out into the passing air stream, so I don't think that I am going to worry about my rectifier over heating from machining a little bit off of the tops of the fins, and if anything it's going to be cooler that it was originally even with a little bit machined off of the top of the cooling fins. ;-)

My bad. Didn't know you changed position of the rectifier. Did Suzuki use heat sink grease behind it?

My bad. Didn't know you changed position of the rectifier. Did Suzuki use heat sink grease behind it?

No, as it's mounted to two rubber bushings with steel inserts aproximately 3/4" in diameter that are mounted in the steel mounting bracket.

Back