• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Signal Dynamics headlight modulator harness

waz

Reaction score
If anyone could answer this for me I'd be greatly appreciative. (Yeah, I searched, but that just got me more confused.)

I ordered a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator and a dual H4 Plug & Play harness for my '07 1250 Bandit. I know that the 1250 has H7 bulbs, but ordered the H4 harness based on Blue Streak's response to a thread on Maximum Suzuki back in August of 2011.

"Note that the Bandit 1250, while it has H7 bulbs, actually uses H4 connectors (with an adapter attached to the bulb). I'm using a dual H4 modulator on my Bandit to modulate both the high and low beams."

I'm not sure what this means; so my question to anyone who has installed a headlight modulator on a 1250 is: did you use the Japanese dual H7 harness or the H4? And did you need some kind of adapter?

I'm not interested in resurrecting a debate over over whether headlight modulators save your butt or are a pain in the butt, just what kind of harness I need for sure.

Thanks in advance for your reponses - I've got a long trip planned after the 4th of July (Asheville to Maine) & I'd like to be conspicuous.

the H-7 bulb is a single filament bulb and has two spade connections while the H-4 is a dual filament bulb and has three spade connections.

I can't see how the H4's would work on a standard configuration. The H4 is designed with both low and high beam lights in the one bulb, The H7 has only one, hence why we have two bulbs in our Bandits, one for low the other for high.

A H4 socket has three pins, usually a common ground on the right, low on the top, high on the left. Our H7's have a two pin base, ground one side, power the other.

hellaw10.jpg
h7_con11.jpg

So a H4 socket could theoretically would work on our high beam bulb, you would not get any power to the low beam unless you relocated the socket wiring to move the low to the side pin and not the top of the H4.

And you can't just replace a H7 bulb with a H4 as the two bulbs have physically differnet size metal bases. Some people have ground down the H4 bulb base to fit the H7 assembly, a lot of work, and I would think the vibration of the Dremel would have to do something to shorten the life of the bulb (picture from Sportbikes.net).

59703d10.jpg

So I don't see any reason to deviate away from the H7 loom, leave the H4 loom alone unless you have changed the OEM setup. BTW, did you read that these modulators cannot be used with HID bulbs.

Thanks for that info, barry.
I got the following response from someone who installed a different brand headlight modulator on his Bandit:

"The bulbs in the Bandit are H7s (note that the newer 1250FA doesn't use two H7 bulbs), but Suzuki apparently reused wiring harness parts with H4 connectors. So they stuck some adapters on the end of the wiring harness that convert the H7 pinout to the H4 socket.

So you could get an H7 modulator, and stick it between the adapter and the bulb, or an H4 modulator and stick it between the adapter and the wiring harness."

Back