• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 TE449/511 Husqvarna Review

I have a 2013 TE-511, & 2011 TXC-511. Love both of 'em. They got plenty of spirit, and handle pretty well too. I like the counter sprocket being on axis with the swing arm pivot. Seems like they eat the rough chop, and are easier to corner under power than some other bikes. Other than the parts supply, my biggest complaint is how tall they are. I am 6' and the bike is still way too tall for me to get on and off. Also there is a slight tendency for the bike to hit a false neutral now and again. But once you are used to it happening, it is easily overcome with another quick flick of the shifter. I truly hope that KTM is able to get the parts and dealer availability woes sorted out over the next while. Having to drive hundreds of miles from Houston just to locate a vender, and then waiting for weeks or months anytime you break and require parts is NOT COOL AT ALL!!!
Are you listening KTM?
Mayday, Mayday, Mayday...brand in distress!!!
S.O.S.

...I truly hope that KTM is able to get the parts and dealer availability woes sorted out over the next while. Having to drive hundreds of miles from Houston just to locate a vender, and then waiting for weeks or months anytime you break and require parts is NOT COOL AT ALL!!!
Are you listening KTM?...

I don't think KTM will have any involvement at all. It was the CEO of KTM that bought Husky and he will step down from KTM and run it independantly last I heard.

It is truly crazy why the 3rd largest city in the US doesn't have a dealer anymore. When I lived in OC there were 6-7 Husky dealers within a 30 mile radius.

For parts I've always used Halls Cycles in IL. Good staff, great prices and they take phone or internet orders. They get parts quickly and/or have well stocked shelves, I typically have parts at my door within a week of ordering.

_

Very disappointing to learn that the Husky brand will remain unaffiliated. I had heard some scuttlebutt about the brand ultimately staying under the KTM roof. Made good sense to me... KTM is the most successful European dirt bike company, selling the most exotic & unabashedly expensive dirt bikes available off the shelf. Huskies are produced with lower price points to compete with the cheaper Japanese brands. It seemed to me that they could make a compatible duo, and allow KTM to capture more market share.
So I bought right in on the whole story. Was already day dreaming of soon walking up to my local KTM dealer right here in west Houston and being told "Yes sir Mr Stuart, we can have that Husky part in your hands by friday". Oh Well, it was such a happy day dream while it lasted. The guys at Napalm in Austin have done all that they could to keep me in parts, but the supply from Husky is all fouled up right now (due to the ownership transfer they claim). Also hearing rumors that production is being moved back to Sweden??? Anyone know the real skinny?

I read an article on it not too long ago. I can't remember if I RobertK sent me the link or if I picked it up off of Cafe Husky. Bascially the story as I recall was that BMW was holding a fire sale on the brand and the owner of KTM threw a company together to buy it. He planned on keeping "everything that didn't require BMW diagnostics" which means the Terra/Strada and Nuda were out. Of course the TE449 is a direct descendent of the G450X, but remains in the line. The long range plan was to bring Husky back to Sweden and merge it with Husaberg. I also recall that Husky has some upcoming fuel injected two cycle technology that may be coming to the market in the next couple of years. If I can find the link I'll post it.

That will be another big disappointment if they cancel the Terra. It is a fun bike for the money, and sold well this year. My daughter and I both have one, and like them very much. Hope they will at least keep parts available for us Terra owners.

Huskytriptomountain013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is my story. I recently bought this sexy redhead at the end of May. I drove from Waco, TX to Springfield, Illinois after work on Friday. Road trip to pick up an awesome 450 for dirt cheap - Win Win, right?

In the interest of full disclosure I must confess I was planning on using the bike for an adventure style 450 dual sport class bike that could do some good single track on the weekends. I wanted something that was lighter than my WR250x and something stronger than a DRZ400. In a nut shell I wanted my cake and eat it too; performance and reliability. BUZZZZZZ!!! wrong on all accounts. Would I buy the bike again? NO! Will I keep it and enjoy every grin yielding moment? HECK YEAH!

Let us begin to unfold the sorted affair by first pointing out the positives and highlights of the machine (better described as a piece of art IMHO). The bike is sexy, exotic, beautiful, new, fuel injected, and uncommon to say the least. Next, is the suspension which is actually very smooth in the rough stuff and it climbs like a goat - this is probably attributed to the counter shaft sprocket configuration and chain setup (more on that later).

In addition, the plastics are one entire piece and is generally good quality. The headlight produces excellent light comparatively and the taillight is nicely nestled in the rear fender. It comes with a 15/51 CS and rear sprocket which allow for the slow technical tight spots. The fuel delivery seems smooth, all be it insufficient in all gears. :doh: Bringing the bike to a stop is certainly one of the more pleasurable actions on the bike. The brakes grab nicely and seem to anticipate the amount of necessary stopping force. Quality binders for sure on this machine.

Now here is where the story gets juicy. The sexy redhead fails miserably, and here are some of the reasons why:
1.) oil pukes out when filled to manufactures specifications (biggest concern):eek2:
2.) it is a balless wonder in stock form - 84 mph and shakes like a tiny dog crapping a peach seed
3.) flames out at crucial times of acceleration
4.) expect a complete rebuild around 14,000 miles - no BS
5.) parts are difficult to get and take forever to receive
6.) oil filter screen screws strip after the 1st or second oil change
7.) oil filter plug screw does similar
8.) expect oil changes at every 300-500 miles
9.) no freaking key
10.) no tools
11.) no rpm gauge
12.) gauge cluster completely blocked by throttle and brake lines - even when not hidden the lights are microscopic and almost unusable :rofl:
13.) counter shaft sprocket through the swing arm (difficult to change)
14.) rear fender broke on first ride (20 miles FM road <50 mph)
15.) no rear wheel marks to make sure the axle is same distance when adjusting chain
16.) fuel cap leaks (again aftermarket fix)
17.) owners manual is in every stinking language (I only want it in English; sorry! Assimilate or move!)
18.) factory tires are aggressive enough looking but really aren't good in dirt or on road
19.) seat is less than desirable (compared to stock WR250x 2X4 it is ten times worse-which I thought was impossible lol).

The above list are things that I was not aware of when I bought the bike. There are other shortcomings relative towards the adventure bike; but not something negative because they are to be expected. All things considered it is my first brand new bike ever so; I have a great deal of love for the machine already. She is not nearly as powerful as some but still gives me a grin when I find that sweet spot for the no-clutch second gear wheelies.:rider: This is one man's opinion and I do not want to offend or insult any husky owners. Again, let me stress how much I do love the bike and will make it the requisite hammer for every nail that I see:trust:

A buddy of mine in the BMW club has a Terra (he's riding it in Arctic Canada now) mentioned that the Terra was already out of production, but I can't verify that. I do like that bike, it's what BMW should have done with the G650X series. I'd guess that parts wont be a problem, especially the ones shared by other Rotax 652 powered bikes.

Here the link to the Stefan Pierer interview.

http://cyclenews.uberflip.com/i/113223/30

I'm not sure that anyone familiar with the bikes predecessor, the G450X, mistook it to be on the "30K miles between valve adjustments" maintenence schedule that the G650X is. I understood that the bike had a more KTM like maintenance schedule, so that's no surprise. Can you restate point one through three in more specific language? What does "oil pukes out" mean? It comes out a breather, or...

Great, It sounds like I got a garage full of red headed orphans. Luckily I do enjoy riding every one of them, but the parts issue could undo everything. I usually don't get too far without breaking or wearing out something.

Sure:
1.) When you fill the oil level to capacity stated in the manaul and viewed in the sight glass window; it will spew out of the air filter and all over your motor.
2.) Does not make the HP that I would have expected from a 450 class bike. In its stock form it is sluggish and will not power wheelie past second gear (compared to my WR250x it is less responsive and about the same in pulling the front wheel off the ground). Currently I have help it up on a 2nd gear power wheelie. It feels like it is making maybe 30HP and feels like 10k rpm at 60 mph.
3.) "flames out" means at random moments under quick acceleration there is no throttle response at all or it will completely die. This will happen when you rapidly accelerate or rapidly decelerate.

...Now here is where the story gets juicy. The sexy redhead fails miserably, and here are some of the reasons why:
2.) it is a balless wonder in stock form - 84 mph and shakes like a tiny dog crapping a peach seed
3.) flames out at crucial times of acceleration

These two are so easy to fix you won't believe it. Actually I shouldn't say fix because Husky knows it but EPA regulations make it necessary to import the bikes in this state.

Unplug your Lamba (O2) sensor and either buy the inexpensive Husky connector plug or search CafeHusky.com and jumper the connector with correct value resistor. Puts bike in performance mode and a HUGE difference across the board. Want even more? then tweak your FI settings with your stock ECU programming or for even more gains install a JD 6X Power Surge or DynoJet Power Commander. Your bike will be tranformed from mild to wild!

Surprised your dealer didn't suggest this or even install it for you pre-delivery as many will do. Since you mentioned Springfield I'm assuming you bought it at Hall's?

_

Thank you SilverBullit. I been suspecting there was a lot more to be wrung out of the TE.
My 2011 TXC 511 seems to have a good bit more spunk than the '13 TE 511 does. Pretty sure you just explained the difference. I will have to check into getting some of that mild swapped over to wild. I want her to feel like I just jumped up on a wild mustang... you can sense at any moment she's about to rare up, brush you off on a shrub, or try to pitch you.

Update: I have installed the jumper plug and put the bike into Race Map II -- Wow! What a complete difference in terms of power. I have also opened up the air box and installed a FMF powercore. This made it run more strong but for the first time I have experienced it dying out of the blue on me? I have the PC5 and autotune sitting in the garage ready to install and hopefully this will fix the "flameout" problem? Much better bike now. 900 miles and counting....

Update: I have installed the jumper plug and put the bike into Race Map II -- Wow! What a complete difference in terms of power. I have also opened up the air box and installed a FMF powercore. This made it run more strong but for the first time I have experienced it dying out of the blue on me? I have the PC5 and autotune sitting in the garage ready to install and hopefully this will fix the "flameout" problem? Much better bike now. 900 miles and counting....

More air and better flowing exhaust usually requires more fuel. Your PC5 can dial this in with the correct map. Another cheaper option is to adjust factory ECU settings. You can do this with Mikuni iBeat software, an adaptor cable and using an XP or earlier laptop or PC. This entire setup can be had for ~$150.

_

My buddies at Napalm are telling me that Husky has been persuaded by dealer and customer feedback to continue production of the Terra for 2014. They are now accepting dealer orders again. Also confirmed that Hoosaberg team and designs are being dissolved back into the Husky brand. So at last, the house of Husky is no longer divided. Rumor is that Husky will be releasing a new bike next year which was already in the works at Hoosaberg. I am also hearing that some type of arrangement is in the works between KTM & Husky with regards to parts supply. Sure hope any of these latest rumors turn out to be true. Nothing would make me happier than to see this once prominent brand re-ascend to their proper place in the hierarchy of off road, and competition bikes. To do this they are going to have to make parts, bikes, and dealers much more plentiful and common place. Serious riders are not going to wait for weeks and even months while their parts float over from Europe on the Santa Maria.

Back