• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My cousin..

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
.. was apparently involved in a bus accident in or near Beaumont around 1500CST from what I hear. The bus was en route to a soccer tournament, and two of the girls on board were killed. Elise (my cousin) is in the hospital, and that's all I know right now - other than the fact I'm prepared to take emergency leave if I can get it. I wish I had more information, but given my distance from home I don't. Just add her to your prayers for me if you would.

Regards,
Anthony

update: as soon as I clicked post my Mom called - Elise is ok, a bit bruised up, but mostly just upset that two of her friend were killed. I have been in her shoes, so I know how she feels. So I guess now, just pray that she deals with this as best she can.

That's horrible, our thoughts and prayers are with her.

Update: Westbrook High School Bus Full of Soccer Players Overturns in Devers; 2 Deaths Reported
( Air Date: 3/29/2006 )

A trooper with the Texas Department of Public Safety tells Hometown News the bus overturned on Highway 90 east of Devers in Liberty County just before three o`clock Wednesday afternoon. Devers is located about 15 miles west of China.

The athletic director of the high school tells Hometown News the bus was carrying about 25 people. The team was heading to Humble to play a game, according to the director.

We’re told BISD officials are en route to the scene.

Several ambulances responded to the scene. We have also confirmed that medical helicopters were also asked to respond to the scene.

DPS dispatchers and reporters on the scene report two students have died as a result of that accident.

All 20 students on the bus have been transported to area hospitals for treatment.

We have news crews on the scene as well as affiliate satellite trucks on the ground and news choppers in the air. We’ve also got news crews at Christus Hospital Saint Elizabeth (where the most critically injured students were rushed) as well as news crews at Westbrook High School.

KBTV-4 was the first station to bring you this breaking news on the air Wednesday afternoon. Be sure to stay with us for the very latest developments.

Not a lot of information yet.

Caught a glimps on the news as I walked in, sad thing indeed. Hope she recovers well.

Tom

Glad to hear your cousin is going to be O.K.; very sad about her friends.

The death of a friend(s) at such a young age can really be tough on a kid. I do hope she has people she can talk with to help her cope with it. Glad to hear she will be okay though!

All - I'm Ed, Anthony's dad, Elise's uncle. Lidia (my wife) and I went to Beaumont last night to see Elise. She suffered a dislocated shoulder and some bruising, but compared to most of the others on the bus, she came out pretty much the best. She says she remembers every detail and it all happened very quickly, but felt like it was going in slow motion at the time. After it all ground to a halt, she crawled out of the windshield, realized her shoulder was dislocated, but also realized her teammates needed attention more than she did, so SHE RESET HER OWN SHOULDER and when help started arriving, began to guide them to her teammates. Quite the strong, brave, mature and giving thing to do for a 16 year old young lady as far as I'm concerned. She also has been interviewed on TV both in Beaumont and Houston (some of you may have seen her) and I thought she handled herself very well all things considered. Her biggest concerns right now are for the families of her teammates who died and her teammates who are still in hospitals (one is still in critical condition at this time), and some have lost limbs. Your continued prayers are much appreciated. Ed.

Back