• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW Cylinder Head Cover Replacement

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Hey all, I have a BMW R1200 GS. I recently bought some new covers and wanted to know if replacing them myself is doable for someone who has not worked on bikes before. I have no problem dismantling and reassembling but when fluids are involved such as oil and gas, I get a little nervous. Is this something that I should take the bike in for or do you think I can do this. I am an engineer so I don't have too many problems with mechanical things but I do want to do this right and not have a problem. The parts that I am replacing are pt# 11 12 7 673 080 and pt# 11 12 7 677 526.

here is the link to the assembly

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog/R1200GS(04-up)/catalog_frameset.html

and it is the "Cylinder Head Cover" drawing (9th assembly down on the left)

Thanks

Charles

I don't think you will have any problem changing the valve covers. There are some rubber gaskets you might want to have extra, but I am betting that the ones off your covers will work to move over to the new ones.
There will be some oil that will drip out, but I even keep that to a minim on the right jug by putting the GS on the side stand. (I knew it was good for something)

Depending on your miles you might want to do this change over with when you do your next valve adjustment. I am lazy that way, rather ride it than work on it.

Thanks a lot. I don't have new rubber gaskets but i have only 600 miles on the bike so i think it should be okay.

Glad to hear that there won't be too much liquid pouring out of the bike, i wouldn't want ot have to prime it again somehow.

I just went in for my 600 mile so i don't think that i want to wait til 6000 miles to do this.

Just check on the torque values for the bolts ( 8 nm for R1150RT ) . That is just finger tight .

Houssic said:
Yeah, i got a torque wrench so that is handy and I will also look up the proper force for the bolts. Thanks

You better have a small torque wrench, as was stated 8nm is just a dab more that finger tight. Your current gaskets should be just fine. Make very sure the gasket and all of your mating surfaces are CLEAN. This will avoid leaks after you re-assemble. You can probably get even more specfic information by asking this question on advrider.com.

Good Luck, this is NOT a big deal !!!

:tab Put a drip pan under the head when you remove the cover. There won't be tons of oil dripping out, but there will be some and you won't want it getting on your floor (at least I don't ;-) ). You might lose 100 cc or so of oil, and that is even doing it on the centerstand. Two gaskets per side I believe, one is the bike one that goes around the cover, the other is around the spark plug(s). Just clean and reuse at this point.

It really is easy to do.

Just watch the torque (8 nm) and tighten it in a criss-cross pattern to assure an even seal.

On a related note, I'm gonna get an electronic torque wrench that also measure torque angle as well.:clap:

Good time to check and adjust your valves. My 12GS ran much better afterward.

Good advice from others, make sure you clean or at least rotate the spark plug seal or it will leak. A coat hanger or crows foot pry bar will remove the spark plug lead easily. About a half hour job total with valve adjustment

Best,

Eric

The gaskets and seals are reusable unless you damage them. Since you're an engineer, you'll do fine. Remember, your snugging fasteners into aluminum so, use care and common sense regarding tightening. A torque wrench is unnecessary for snugging the OH Valve cover fasteners.

Back