• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I brought home a nightmare...

Reaction score
V4pKhsu.png

2001 GSXR 1000. It's not the TL1000R I've been lusting after ever since I sold my S years ago, but **** it makes more power anyway. Just doesn't have the right sound. I might be able to live with it.

Super rough machine in every way except the running. Fires right up and screams. It's why I brought the thing home, actually. It ran well enough to scare me a little, and everything else was broken enough to scare me a lot. I guess it's been so long since I had a bike that scared me I just jumped on it.

Basically I'm going to be building her back up. Starting with all the "not right" stuff...like this: "They're suppose to be that way."

0cf6yxK.jpg

No brakes. Rear were completely gone. Fronts shuddered so bad I was concerned about washing just driving 5mph in a parking lot. I explained this to the guy who had it and he said, very matter of fact, "They're suppose to be like that to keep you from locking the front up."

To his credit, this was his first bike, bought just a few days before, and it's what that seller told him. I corrected him and explained exactly what was going on. As it turned out the rotor was warped terribly...about +/-.088"...which is huge. Second bike I've had come in in the last couple weeks with the same issue.

Next things was the exhaust. One of the PO's just stuck a generic exhaust tip on it. So I replaced that...

bmRW6lP.jpg

Of course it's not very fancy, but I bought a Danmoto muffler and midpipe off ebay...under $180 and it sounds great...but after getting the muffler and midpipe in I discovered the one of the PO's had altered the header. That's why everything is held together with a couple of pipe clamps right now...I'm waiting for a new header to come in.

My last little bit for now will be my most popular setup:

aETcneT.jpg

Not is that a water bottle being used for a coolant reservoir, but it's not even a Dasani or something fancy. That's a Great Value water bottle. But, since my bike is my ride, I needed something. I'll whip up a better catch can after I get the fairings sorted out.

That's it for right now...but I should be getting a new box of parts every day this coming week. Been fun so far...

On the plus side, it'll get there. I hope he practically gave it to you because you've got quite a bill in getting that thing back to decent shape again. I say this from experience in buying a TLR that was in similar condition. I didn't spend as much as I could have but I spent a lot of time being stingy and broke. Depending on what it cost you, when it's all said and done you might have been able to buy a decent used TLR. Maybe. But it's gonna be a hoot when you get done, and yea, way more powerful than a TLR. That's a whole new generation of bike and has three years on the development of the TLR anyway.

Its the sound haha. I miss the tl rumble.

But anyway...no. It wasn't that cheap. I traded my gt650r for it, a hand gun, andd a little cash. I came out nearly $1000 in the hole...but I was okay with the loss because it is closer to what I want. Plus, after I'm done, I'll have about $1000 on top of the deal (on paper). Plus I'll have something interesting.

Yep, miss that TL rumble myself. I did find however, there's so many little things missing and getting them all right is a pain. I had no idea how many little pieces there were for the chin of the TLR fairing.

My coworkers accused me of shipping nearly an entire motorcycle through our office as I had my stuff sent there instead of my apartment. :D

Oh yea, and a Tuono or SuperDuke will get you pretty darn close to that TL sound with WAY better suspension and brakes!!! :D

Man thats rough. Is that bondo on the tank? It would be nice for a beater as long as you make it safe. If your trying to make it look like it did from the factory you have a big job ahead of you... Looks like a stunt bike with that 12 o'clock bar on the back and those guys are notoriously hard on their bikes and do almost zero maintenance which is evidenced by the lack of brake pads and warped rotors. I would change the oil first thing...

Last edited:
Yeah all the wet stuff was really the first to go...that's such a given with me it hardly bears mentioning. The fork oil reeked of rotten fish.

I'm not sure about the tank. There's a lot of brush marks in it...I'm not sure if it's just primer deap or if they gouged the metal. I may look for a new tank.

Not looking for original. I'm actually going to be running TLR fairings. I got a race set coming with a set of decent projector headlights. It won't look original, but should look okay. I'm getting rid of the bar on the back...I'm not too concerned about her having been stunted. The bar has been on there long enough for the paint to have peeled and the metal rusted, but there's not a scratch on it.

Too late, the bills have already been laid! However, this bike isn't any narrower than my TLS was and, considering the TLR frame was based on the then-era GSXR750 frame, it's not hard to envision it. The newer GSXR's do seem a bit narrower, but this one isn't one of those examples.

Besides, the fairings were the second biggest reason why I lusted after a TLR. I loved the way they seemed to be trying to swallow the front wheel and the ram air ducts...they always reminded me of an F15 or MIG 29.

Also they were really cheap.

Well, the GSX-R750 got the big weight reduction/slim down redesign in 2000, so your Gixxer1K is based off of that, while your TLR was based kind of off the older fatter Gixxers. Should be interesting to see what it looks like when it's done. I did always like the shape of the fairings on the TLR for the reasons you specified, but she sure was a fatty! :D

Well, the GSX-R750 got the big weight reduction/slim down redesign in 2000, so your Gixxer1K is based off of that, while your TLR was based kind of off the older fatter Gixxers. Should be interesting to see what it looks like when it's done. I did always like the shape of the fairings on the TLR for the reasons you specified, but she sure was a fatty! :D

Fat girls need lovin too!

Yes they do, but I traded her for a skinny little waif supermodel in my 2004 GSX-R600. :D

Okay it's just flat not going to work. I'm going to have to give up getting the fairings that I want and use fairings that will work.

Neither did I....I had the same mentality about it. I'm going to have to run GSXR fairings, which isn't a bad thing but I do love the look of the TL. I can get a two piece race set a little cheaper than the TL set, too, but I got to sell the TL set first.

Fun doesn't always involve something purty.
Fast and fun aren't always purty either.

Make it safe and reliable and ratbike it.

Maybe time for some fabrication. Any way to maybe cut those intakes and fiberglass them onto the gixxer fairing so it doesn't look terrible? Probably not...

Too much of the sides would have to come off to clear the frame...I'm not up for as much fab work as I was 10 years ago. I went ahead and ordered a set for the GSXR and I'll sell the TL stuff. I got a good price on them so I should come off even, or pretty close. I'll just have to wait until next weekend to skin the bike.

Back