• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WANTED-older bmw 650

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first bike. Im not looking for perfect here so high mileage and scratches dont scare me. Let me know if you or someone you know has one listed or may be selling soon.
Thanks

Looking to buy my first bike. Im not looking for perfect here so high mileage and scratches dont scare me. Let me know if you or someone you know has one listed or may be selling soon.
Thanks

Looking for the 650 single dual-purpose or a horizontally opposed twin street bike? Drew

I have an 83 BMW R65 that I don't ride often, but hadn't thought of selling...What's your budget?

Or in the forum there are two other BMWs. An 1997 Funduro F650 for sale by Texbiker and a 07 ChallengeX by capousa both on page 5 of the for sale forum section. Drew

Was thinking the f650 gs or g650

I saw polis post and would love his dakar but I cant afford more than $3000 and I have a feeling he wont go that low. I checked nada and it said a 2001 is worth about $2705 but all the ones ive seen have been in the $3500-5000 range. Not sure why theres such a big difference since its a buyers market but what do I know? Im new to all this! Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks everyone .

I saw polis post and would love his dakar but I cant afford more than $3000 and I have a feeling he wont go that low. I checked nada and it said a 2001 is worth about $2705 but all the ones ive seen have been in the $3500-5000 range. Not sure why theres such a big difference since its a buyers market but what do I know? Im new to all this! Any tips or advice would be great. Thanks everyone .

I think TEX's was under 3K. Check it out it is a neat looking bike already set up just needs a new rider. He just got back from a long ride to NM on it and it did fine. Drew

Redneck....
Book info...(in lots of situations)..is a good starting point...but not the "be all end all" definitive. The market can swing wildly since the last figures were published ...even on line.
Reverse Example: I saw a clean title beautiful lookin 2008-9 Yamaha FZ6 with 9K miles & a book value of appx $5K sell on FleaBay for $1700 !!!!! I've also seen other bikes that sold for much more than book. Sometimes you just hafta go with your gut feeling after talkin with the seller. Lots of really nice bikes out there right now. ...Take yer pick

There are a bunch on craigslist right now all over Texas. I saw about fifteen when I looked. Drew

You might have to look outside of Texas to find a deal. Prices can be lower for BMW's in the east than they are here in Texas and the surrounding area.

Example: 2003 BMW F650GS, 25K, $3900 (if little higher than you want, negociate); Callicoon, NY.

http://motorcycles.smartcarguide.com/listing/28208005/

Keep digging, something's bound to turn up.

Hey Red....
Just a random bit of thought passin thru this ol head......

How bout a Two Wheeled Texas Three Way.... (NO..NO....not that!!!)
Find someone with one of the bikes Tex is lookin for & in the same price range (Mroseb had a beautiful Bandit!! but it's gone now) If both you & Tex agree on that bike use your cash for a sale with Tex's bike then traded for it.

Kinda kinky/weird.... but ??huh

Last edited:
Hey Red....
Just a random bit of thought passin thru this ol head......

How bout a Two Wheeled Texas Three Way.... (NO..NO....not that!!!)
I actually did that on the ADV forum a few years ago. I wanted to trade my C10 Concours for a ST1100. Found a guy in Maryland with an ST, but he wanted a ZX11. Found a guy in Arizona with a ZX11 that wanted a Concours. The three of us worked out a deal and I rode to El Paso to meet the fellow from Arizona swapped the C10 for the ZX. Then rode the ZX to Frankfort, KY to meet the guy from Maryland and swap the ZX for the ST. Then I rode the ST back to Dallas. Took three days, but we all ended up with the bikes we wanted. Only had to cross three time zones to do it! :)

But I just reached a tentative deal to trade the Funduro a few minutes ago. Travelling to Dallas next weekend to check out a ZRX1100.

I think sometimes Kelly BB is closer. They show a 2001 BMW 650 about $3800 I think. That is closer to what things are being sold for with lower mileage.

You're likely stuck with carbs in that price range, and yes the older singles had two. The Challenge, while one of my favorite bikes, may not be the best choice for someone just getting started riding DS. Consider an older Funduro, although I have to say that the R65 in Quail Valley does sound interesting.

You guys have been great. Im loving all the input and it is helping me to narrow my choice down and hopefully make a better decision. I absolutely want to be able to work on my bike and pretty much know how to change oil and replace a lever at this point. Haha. Luckily bikedork is a knowlegable, patient and willing teacher and will be with me on most offroad adventuring. I still think I may have to increase my budget a bit and have luck on my side to get a great deal. Im hoping to find a 2001 or newer bmw f 650 gs. Preferably with heated grips, abs, center stand, skid plate and nice hand gaurds. Nice panniers would be a plus. Mileage up to about 40k. Good dual purpose tires would rock but I can always add some of the extras myself. I will just keep working as many shifts at the restaurant as I can and keep my eyes peeled! For now im borrowing a nice 2005 kawasaki versys for my road practice and the heavy beast that is the klx 250 for dirt. If it ever stops raining....

Thanks again for any tips and or leads you guys.

I'm a BMW guy, but am strongly considering a Wee Strom for the wife as she gets ready for a bigger bike that is both highway worthy and capable of fire roads. Keep an open mind about brand and buy at a reasonable price. You'll do okay.

Im still looking. Ive found a lil bit more money although not much. Is there a bike season? Seems I see less on the market than I did a few months ago. Or maybe I'm just narrowing down my choices cause I know what I want.... hmmm

Did you ever found a F650GS?
If you are still looking for one, whats your price range?
I have a 2005 F650GS ready to go, with Zega cases, engine guard, Sargent seat (low), piaa aux. lights, extra set of wheels, dirt and road tires, 90% life left....etc
Not a garage queen anymore, since I get to a couple of rally events with her.
Terlingua2014a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I sent you a pm, let me know.

Thanks,
Oscar

Back