• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 ColinsHope Got2Swim Open Water event

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Yesterday was the "First Edition" of the ColinsHope "Got2Swim" Kids Open Water swim. ColinsHope is a non-profit created to address childhood drowning and through events such as this, they raise funds to create programs, provide swim lessons and have other community services to educate and prepare parents to have their kids around water in a safe fashion.

This event was for kids to swim either a 100 yard or 200 yard marked course in open water. By open water, this was at Quarry Lake, an old rock quarry which is deep, protected and safe from boat traffic. A host of volunteers provided a three layered safety program for the swimmers.

Tough shooting conditions with the sun in front of me for a few hours, moving directly overhead, then passing clouds blocking sunlight/making things kind of dull. Two body's used (D90 w/70-200 and D700 w/24-70 along with an SB700 early on)

More about ColinsHope HERE

The full gallery is HERE

And a few selected random shots I sort of liked to give you an idea of what an event such as this is like.....

#1 - The venue. Quarry Lake
i-D2dB7bP-L.jpg

#2 - "Maggie", a friend of mine preparing for her 10K swim (that's 6.2 miles)
i-xcBqGBD-L.jpg

#3 - Body Marking
i-WPWhFGn-L.jpg

#4 - "Grand Dad". His grandson died in a drowning accident several years ago. His son founded ColinsHope.
i-qZCzWRd-L.jpg

#5 - Turn buoy maintenance
i-3pBMxjF-L.jpg

#6 - One of the safety layers
i-K5skXLM-L.jpg

#7 - Alissa, the Executive Director of ColinsHope
i-MFhZKGm-L.jpg

#8 - Kids in the queue to stage
i-jNgPTKR-L.jpg

#9 - ...and------they're off!
i-Jmbp92s-L.jpg

#10 - Elli Overton, Olympic swimmer helping with the event
i-mSXfbD4-L.jpg

#11 - Getting the message out about ColinsHope...
i-HcQLJJW-L.jpg

#12 - Go Ella Go!
i-8cbftXd-L.jpg

#13 - Finish!
i-n8bs85z-L.jpg

#14 - Cannonball contest
i-NNztw4z-L.jpg

#15 - They're all winners
i-xDFSPgK-L.jpg

Forgot to mention an additional challenge with this..... I was for the most part on a floating dock with 30 or more other people. To say I was shooting from a stable platform, well..... I'd be lying. :giveup:

Back