• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route to Indy MotoGP

JB

Reaction score
I thought I would begin another Indy GP related topic as I was starting hijack E. Marquez post with his SS1000 attempt.

If everything falls into place, I'm planning a solo ride from Georgetown on Thursday morning around 0700 and do the approx 1100 miles in 2 days, stay at the track with friends and then head home Sunday a little after the race.

So....since there's large order of interstate riding on the menu; which route would work out the best?

I can either go north through Dallas (I-35/75/69) and on to Springfield, MO (I-44/70)for my overnight, continue east through St. Louis and onto the speedway. Or go east from Dallas (I-30/40) over to Memphis and head north (I-55/57/70) from there.....probably need to stay north of Memphis possibly in Blytheville to avoid the meth dealers hanging out at the Holiday Inn Express (thanks for the tip YoDoc)

Weather looks to fine either way. Is one direction or other road options better than the other?

Any suggestions would be great. :clap:

Thanks,
Jeff

75 has horrible potholes in some stretches, and lots of small towns to slow you down.

Going 35N to 35W and continue to 44 sounds like the better option then trying 75. My thought going the Missouri route would allow me to overnight in either Joplin or Springfield depending how I feel making it a half way point on mileage for both days. Thanks.

Going 35N to 35W and continue to 44 sounds like the better option then trying 75. My thought going the Missouri route would allow me to overnight in either Joplin or Springfield depending how I feel making it a half way point on mileage for both days. Thanks.

That's exactly the route I take in the van. Just watch out for the tribal land east of okc. There's hardly any exits, and not much in the way of gas. Also, it's a toll road.

Only thing I've been on is I-40 and I-30 between Nashville and Dallas. That was in 1999. From what I remember it wasn't much for sight seeing and a lot of truckers. If it were me I'd take a more northern route, possibly through Ft Smith, AR. I hear it's really pretty in that are but then you're off the interstate and not making the time you want.

I've slabbed it from Texas to Alabama on I-20 on a motorcycle, not very fun. I would rather take a bit of a scenic trip to break up the monotony of the interstate. But that's just me.

I've slabbed it from Texas to Alabama on I-20 on a motorcycle, not very fun. I would rather take a bit of a scenic trip to break up the monotony of the interstate. But that's just me.

I'm really not looking forward to all the interstate riding. The longest interstate ride I have taken lately was riding back and forth on the toll road to COTA in April. Other than that, I stay as far away from an interstate as possible. I may need to try and leave Wednesday after work and overnight in Dallas. This would allow some Arkansas riding like you said.

Back to Google Maps.....

I'm really not looking forward to all the interstate riding. The longest interstate ride I have taken lately was riding back and forth on the toll road to COTA in April. Other than that, I stay as far away from an interstate as possible. I may need to try and leave Wednesday after work and overnight in Dallas. This would allow some Arkansas riding like you said.

Back to Google Maps.....
Thats a great idea........ and one I may steal from you. :giveup:
On the way back anyway....
Im overnighting in Dallas tues..and starting "The Ride" Wed morning.
Please do post up here in this thread as you can...I'd be interesting to read about your trip.

As it is my trip up will be all Slab
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...mbia+city&t=h&mra=dvme&mrsp=1&sz=10&via=1&z=6
:argh:

Hope yours works out better (ie less slab, more fun)

Last edited:
I thought I would begin another Indy GP related topic as I was starting hijack E. Marquez post with his SS1000 attempt.

If everything falls into place, I'm planning a solo ride from Georgetown on Thursday morning around 0700 and do the approx 1100 miles in 2 days, stay at the track with friends and then head home Sunday a little after the race.

So....since there's large order of interstate riding on the menu; which route would work out the best?

I can either go north through Dallas (I-35/75/69) and on to Springfield, MO (I-44/70)for my overnight, continue east through St. Louis and onto the speedway. Or go east from Dallas (I-30/40) over to Memphis and head north (I-55/57/70) from there.....probably need to stay north of Memphis possibly in Blytheville to avoid the meth dealers hanging out at the Holiday Inn Express (thanks for the tip YoDoc)

Weather looks to fine either way. Is one direction or other road options better than the other?

Any suggestions would be great. :clap:

Thanks,
Jeff

"go east from Dallas (I-30/40) over to Memphis and head north (I-55/57/70) from there.....probably need to stay north of Memphis possibly in Blytheville to avoid the meth dealers hanging out at the Holiday Inn..."

That's the way we're headed in the car. Gonna do a motorhead's overload.

Catching some friends in the drag race in town http://www.manufacturerscup.info/ on Friday and Saturday morning.

Hitting the Indy Mile Saturday evening http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/events/event.cfm?year=2013&eid=2013021360

And MotoGp on Sunday.

Hasta and have fun!

Back