• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Starting a project 80/81 Honda XL250s

Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
May
[
176_zps7d63ed6c.jpg

Ok,
So this is my first documented rebuild.
Reason for rebuild...
Excessive smoking from exhaust. mostly due to much gas but you can smell the oil also and I had a gasket set laying around.

I got this bike in somewhat running shape a little over a year ago from a TWT member and just have not had the time to commit to the full tear down it needs.
I have messed about with some small things here and there: forks, exhaust leaks, carbs, etc. but over time the carbs need it again due to me leaving the gas on for 3 months..:doh: .

I am just going to jump right in to this one by pulling the motor.

177_zpsf23f952f.jpg

Picked up some random parts of ebay , craigslist and from Union Cycle salvage.
Airbox was missing, which is usually ok but this one holds the left side fairing on. I did not want to leave it zip tied on there and they had one at Union for $5.
There was no key. I grabbed one off ebay for cheap. I didn't really see the need for a speedo and the current one is broke. I will check it out once I get in there to replae the ignition. If it is an easy fix then it will have a speedo. If not then........ meh
178_zpsde889973.jpg

180_zpscbed3421.jpg

Got this from and inmate on ADV and found it very helpful. Went to work and printed it up there. Shhh Don't tell anyone

I sometimes forget where things are supposed to go..
I started using this method after it was shown to me.
Highly recommended for the short term memory loss folks.
189_zps6453f470.jpg

184_zpsb724dcd1.jpg

Found that I could press the valve springs with my hand.
Expected to replace anyways, since I was in there but dang.

191_zps38817bff.jpg

Again , dirty but not too bad.
Putting all the pieces in a buddy's parts washer till Tuesday. Gonna scrub her up real nice, blast what I can and get he sides of the bottom end off for inspection then.

Take lots of pictures. Good project. Careful with those valve springs, they can really jump.

Got stuck after I broke a part.
Will post it tonight and how I made a stupid mistake by not using the right tool for the job
(which I had)

Hmmmmmm....

That bike looks familiar!

I always wanted to chop out the flattened section of the exhaust pipe just ahead of the muffler.

...also wanted to install a full PowRoll top end...

I have Your bikes little brother. 1980 XL-80. 2040 miles, pristine, not a scratch on it.:rider:

minibikes009.jpg

I think those tall seat mounts were OEM on the Mini-Trail.

Yes, that is the stock seat and riser on that 1969 Z-50AK-1.
In fact, all the parts are original except the headlight bucket, which is a re-pop.

Been awhile since I posted.
I broke the darn clutch basket trying to use the wrong tool for the job.
Just about to get the cylinder honed and will put up pics tomorrow.

Back