• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nighttime illumination

whoa

Reaction score
First Name
david
Last Name
day
We talked a little about night riding at the recent bike night. I enjoy riding at night and try to get out on weeknights for rides in the country. The recent fatal accident in Taylor made me wonder about nighttime illumination/reflective gear riders here use. Standard lighting seems adequate to me, unless the rider is moving slowly, frequently stopping etc. I have reflective tape on my helmet, but this is for times when I am away from the bike.

I ride a bicycle quite a bit at night, and feel that excess blinkies draw too much attention, and can lead to fixation. But on the bicycle, I do like the bright reflective vests, and some additional lighting.

There are a few m/c riders I've seen use a reflective vest both day and night, and use reflective tape and extra lights on the rear fender or bags and the difference is distinct.

So have you made modifications to account for low visibility or darkness, either to the bike or your riding gear?

Yup ... I've got tailbright reflective strips on the back of the ST. It's a 3M reflective tape ... looks black in daylight, but really lights up when headlights hit it. Makes the entire back/side of the bike stand out.

Link please to the product. Reading about the guy in Taylor getting hit from behind has made me want to spend a few dollars on this.

Rocket_Cowboy said:
Yup ... I've got tailbright reflective strips on the back of the ST. It's a 3M reflective tape ... looks black in daylight, but really lights up when headlights hit it. Makes the entire back/side of the bike stand out.

+1 on the tailbright reflective tape...

I also have Hyperlites wired as running/signal/brake lights.

I always wear a white or yellow JR mesh jacket with (small) reflective strips.

'Conspicuity' is a cool word, and a decent concept, imho. ;-)

I got a couple packages of reflective thingies for my helmet from ridesafer.com. I put the 3M reflective tape on my Futura's hard bags (but hardly ever use those). I also use:

* the hi-viz yellow 'stich top (which has reflective stuff, too)
* headlight modulators (though I actually rarely use those, these days only for imminent dangerous left-turner situations; I need to keep my brights on more often :shrug:)
* taillight brake flashers.

I added a set of fog lights up front, not so much for the extra illumination as to be seen as a distinctive vehicle. I also added red LED running lights to the rear for added visibility and some 3M reflective tape on the front forks and rear turn signal stalks.
http://gallery.roeiboot.com/Tracker1958s-01-VLX-DLX

I definitely would go with the reflective tape on the helmet. Every safety study I have ever read has strongly recommended reflective tape or decals on the helmet. It is up high where it can be seen. Has added benefit of increasing your visibility in daylight also. The shapes and colors did not seem to matter a lot.

If you have paid a premium for one of the replica decal jobs on your helmet, you can still get reflective tape or sheets in matching colors which can be cut to various shapes that will blend in.

I have used Streetglo http://www.streetglo.net/ but will be trying out a neat helmet kit from http://www.reflectivedecals.com/. The latter has layered decals which should look better than the streetglo version.

I have reflective tape on the rear of my Sprint, along with additional tape on the back of the factory luggage and Givi topbox. I also have a rear brake light modulator. My riding jacket has reflective stripes and I have Helmet Halos on all my lids.

It's pretty noticable at night, but that only helps if the people behind you are actually paying attention. If not, then all the lights/tape in the world won't help.

I like the idea of reflective tape on the fender of similar color. I'm about to repklace the stock dual bulb tail/brake lamp for a smaller single bulb version. Since I ride quite a bit at night, if it is quite a bit dimmer, I may convert the system to LED. Some of those kits seem pretty bright in daylight.

Does anyone you know if any local shops in Austin carry the various relfective tape/stickers? I've considered putting a reflective strip on the bicycle cranks to add motion, but the base of the fender sounds good too.

whoa said:
Does anyone you know if any local shops in Austin carry the various relfective tape/stickers?

You can get the standard red or white tape in various widths at most auto part stores. In the past I've gotten the more unique reflective colors at a sign company that does custom banners and magnetic car door signs. They use a computer controlled die cutter to cut designs and lettering out of sheets of the stuff, but I've bought those sheets by the foot before.

Note the reflective green stripe on the tank of my first bike:
Gr-Guzz.jpg

I've been using this reflective tape like they use to mark roadways. It really lights up at night and works well during the day...

HODGES03.jpg

:lol2:

I remember that ride. Someone ask John about that puddle under the bike :trust:

If any of you guys want a specific design, vinyl size, etc, lemme know... I can offer you anything custom in reflective black, white, red or medium blue virtually same day.

TM, quit picking on John.

OK, John, why did your scooter have a puddle under it and what was the cause? BTW, very subtle use of reflectives! :)

Texas T, that black to white reflective tape is a great invention isn't it?

Mike, thanks for the offer of custom reflectives. Perhaps someone with an artistic flair could come up with a simple TWTex logo that would look good on a helmet. TM could mark it up a little and sell in on the site. Perhaps the helmet, wings, or star with TWTex.com lettering?

Last edited:
kocook said:
Mike, thanks for the offer of custom reflectives. Perhaps someone with an artistic flair could come up with a simple TWTex logo that would look good on a helmet. TM could mark it up a little and sell in on the site. Perhaps the helmet, wings, or star with TWTex.com lettering?

Something like this? :-P

> "You're not that fat now??

No. Not now. I go up and down belt notches depending on my level of sloth in the preceeding months.

kocook said:
OK, John, why did your scooter have a puddle under it and what was the cause?

I was running late that Saturday morning and worried about missing meeting Scott in Jasper for his ride to Hodges Gardens.

I needed to change my motor oil before the trip. My mind was elsewhere when I began turning the oil drain bolt in a clock-wise direction to remove it. The bolt was in there surprisingly tight, so I put my back into it. Only after it "loosened up" did I realize what I'd done.

As you can see from the photo, teflon thread tape "kinda" got me through the day. I later re-tapped the threads and installed a larger drain bolt.

I Just bought a white Zeus 508 W modular helmet with the intention of having my daughter paint a TX flag design on it like the TWT logo and add some reflective material for safety. But, the helmet's owner's manual specifically states, along with the warnings about using inapropriate cleaning agents, "Paint or adhesive decals should not be applied to the surface."

Do any of you know what this is all about? I am planning on wearing this device in East Texas, home of the aptly named "Love Bugs", that generate a substance, upon demise, that has got to be more noxious than any chemical cleanser or decal adhesive produced by man!
:puke:

For the front I've got high/low beam lights by:
www.cqlight.ca

and for the back, I've got a brake light modulator by:
http://www.signaldynamics.com/products/Modules/wigwag.asp

Last spring there were three members of the BMWLT.net forum that were rearended. The back end of a LT lights up like a billboard when the brakes are applied. That boils down to if your going to get hit from behind, the inattentive driver would probably hit anything that was there and it's our job to minimize or avoid damage altoghther by suspecting all headlights showing up in our rearview mirrors. Remember, it's Death Race 2000 and we're 200 point targets!:rider:

Well, I was almost rearended today at a light on 360 in my wife's Ford Escape, I then saw him motioning and saying *** in my mirror as I was trying to balance the distance between an older couple in an Accord in front of me who stopped for a yellow light and this moron kid and his prom date who evidently was not paying attention to traffic. I had a bit of a moment, I got out at the red light and walked to the back of the Escape and motioned to the car stopped ahead of me.

These morons "can't" see a Ford Escape at 6pm how do we expect them to actually "see" us at anytime. As Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid" :doh:

Back