• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Morning ride from Katy

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Last Name
Snell
My buddy Wedge1 called me this morning and asked if I wanted to take my new KLR out for a ride so I agreed to meet him at his house. When I got there he was ready with his DRZ 400. We pulled out and stopped for gas and he needed a little air in his tires. After that I just pretty much followed his lead. I didn't pay attention too much what roads we were on.

C360_2013-09-02-09-39-49-500.jpg

I do know we stopped at the Brazos and I got my first taste of off road stuff. Getting used to standing on the pegs and controlling the bike is something I am going to have to get used to. I also had my first taste of sand. It was deep but I still made it through barely.

Next we headed down a several FM roads and a couple of county roads. Sorry I just didn't pay attention to much. I know we stopped in Sheridan across from the water park for a quick water break.

C360_2013-09-02-11-14-45-244.jpg

After this break we decided to head to El Campo where we had lunch. We then headed back up 59 towards the Colorado River. We headed down under the bridge and this is where I layed my bike down for the first and most definitely not the last time. I tried with all my energy but was not able to lift it out of the hole it was in. Thankfully Wedge 1 was there to help. We next went down into the river bed and hot more sand. And I layed it down again. This time I was able to get enough leverage to get it up on my own. But as I tried to get out of the sand I got stuck. I mean I GOT STUCK!!! I was so out of breath from lifting the bike back up all I could do was sit there. Finally Wedge1 came back and helped my wore out butt get it out of the sand. I definitely need to get in better shape if I am gonna ride this kind of terrain.

C360_2013-09-02-13-02-43-175.jpg

C360_2013-09-02-13-02-53-441.jpg

By the way, Wedge1's bike isnt stuck....he just laughed and said here let me show you how to make your own kickstand.

Here are a few videos of Wedge1 running through the river bed. I missed the best footage when he was flying through the water, but **** if I wasnt tired at this point.

th_20130902_130717.jpg

th_20130902_130833.jpg

th_20130902_130919.jpg

th_20130902_130945.jpg

After this we got back on hwy 59 and made our way to TX 36 through Wallis and up to fm 1463 back to Katy. All in all we did about 170 miles. It was a fun day.

Went out for a ride out of Katy today too. We ended up in Brenham.
I waved at a KLR just like the one in the pick, may have been you. I was on a white Ducati Streetfighter.

Wasnt us...We stayed south of I10 on this trip. We did see lots of bikes out and about though.

Wasnt us...We stayed south of I10 on this trip. We did see lots of bikes out and about though.

We started south, South Fry and Grand Parkway. Went west on 1093 out to Fulrshear and up 1489. Then back into old Katy because I realized I forgot my wallet. We then went back out to Brookshire and hit 1458 and took some other roads out to Brenham.

Hehe its possible...we started out in the same area. I just didnt pay attention the roads much the first part of the ride.

You're right though. There were a lot of bikes out.

Our route (roughly): FM 1093 to Wallis; Wallis to Eagle Lake still (FM 1093 I think); Eagle Lake to Sheridan; Sheridan back to what I believe was CR 106 which eventually took us back to 71. From 71 we went to El Campo for lunch at Whataburger. At El Campo we went to R&M Firearms and Archery (one of my favorite gun stores) but they were closed. Then as Cleaner 72 said we headed up 59 North where I tried another gun store (Carol's) but they were also closed. The truth of the matter is that two particular half's of one particular part of my body hurt so dog gone bad that I just needed a break from riding. How I am going to do 700+ mile on the East TX ride I do not know (I digress). 59 North to HWY 60 at Hungerford. Hungerford through East Bernard up to Wallis. Wallis to Katy via Fulshear. Then back to Katy. I am still wondering what compelled me to (1) ride this long and (2) to decide not to bring my air hawk. Anyways it was a fun ride. Next time we'll actually plan it and post it up a few days in advance. Cleaner 72 - good ride - you handled some difficult terrain on a beast of a bike. As I said before Big Bend has that in difficulty by at least 50 - maybe a hundred.

Back