• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Has anyone else had transmission/clutch issues on the FJR1300ae?

Reaction score
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Schlickeisen
My bike is in the shop now for the forth time for the same problem.:eek2: It started last December on my way to Waco. I stopped for a drink. When I was ready to get back on the road, the bike had error codes SH26 and SH44 and would not start. That, thankfully, was one day before the warranty was up. Since then, the bike has been in and out of the shop. The last two times with codes back the next day after getting it home.:giveup:

I know the 2004-5 FJR's had the "tick" problem reported by quite a few riders on various forums. Several foks had the dealer replace all values and guides. The first generation FJR's were prone to developing premature valve guide wear and making a distinctive "ticking" sound. Distinctive, that is, if you know what to listen for. Dale AKA Warchild Wilson was instrumental in first identifying this problem in the USA and getting Yamaha's attention in fixing it.

:clap:

You're problem is different but FJR's have had issues related to it in the past.

RB

Sounds like they are clearing the codes and not actually going through the proper diagnostic steps.
Time for a new dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The first time it was in the shop they replaced the clutch slave cylinder. That seemed to fix it for a little while. The last couple of times they bleed the clutch hydraulic system, and sent it home with me. Both times I had the same codes the next day. :thumbd:Now they want to TRY a shift computer. Which won't be available until the end of September.:eek2:B/O because they have never sold one?:ponder: at lest that is what I have been told.

Sounds like they are clearing the codes and not actually going through the proper diagnostic steps.
Time for a new dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Second dealer, and they can only do what Yamaha corporate tells them can.

Bumblebee do you have a service manual for your FJR if not I have one right up the road you can use if you would like to do some lite reading.

Bumblebee do you have a service manual for your FJR if not I have one right up the road you can use if you would like to do some lite reading.
I appreciate the offer, but I can't afford to not let them fix it under warranty. The parts they are talking about replacing are out of my budget. Thanks for the offer though.

Borrow the book. Do the reading necessary to be ABLE to ask intelligent questions. Know what they know. With the expansion of computer technology to motorcycles, half the mechanics don't know what they are TRYING to fix, since it can be the sensor that fails as often as the mechanical component. A code can mean many things because it only 'senses' a condition which is programmed into the diagnostics.
I once tore down an engine looking for a spun bearing...only to find a bad oil pressure sending unit.
And get an obdII that works for your bike. Keep it with you. It makes the difference between a tow and a GO.

Hmm, somehow I missed this. I can look them up tonight in my service manual if I remember to. I've been dealing with SH46 lately myself, but that's a whole different issue than what you are dealing with.

Good thing you are still under warranty, because these parts aren't cheap. Fortunately there's not a whole lot of folks having problems with them.

Which brings us to your parts availability issue. Not many AE's were sold in the US compared to other models so spare parts will be few and far between. Add in that these parts don't break often and are pricey and there's nothing to cause a dealer to want to keep these parts in stock. I wouldn't be surprised if the parts have to be ordered straight from the mothership and travel by boat.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Will I got some good news. Yamaha fond a shift computer in Gorge and is having it shipped to the shop that has my bike. If that is what is wrong with it I should have it back sometime next week. Then I can start looking at trading it for something with a clutch lever. With the bike being my only transportation to work I can't make myself keep this bike after all the time it has left me afoot. :giveup: I really did love my fjr but just to many times in the shop to fix the same problem.

Will I got some good news. Yamaha fond a shift computer in Gorge and is having it shipped to the shop that has my bike. If that is what is wrong with it I should have it back sometime next week. Then I can start looking at trading it for something with a clutch lever. With the bike being my only transportation to work I can't make myself keep this bike after all the time it has left me afoot. :giveup: I really did love my fjr but just to many times in the shop to fix the same problem.
Ain't that the definition of Lemon Law?

Looking for some opinions. What is a fair price,and do I need to disclose the problems I have had? The bike has 13000 mi, no damage. The only thing that has been added is a throttle lock, easily removed.

I'd disclose it. You had issues and they were repaired under warranty by the dealer.

I had some hesitation on the car I bought because it had some issues that had been repaired both under warranty and after the warranty. When I sat down and thought about it I realized that those issues happen to a LOT of these cars and they've been someone else's problem and someone else picked up the tab to fix them and now they are taken care of.

Honestly, not sure why you are dumping the bike. I understand it's been a headache and I also understand the bike being your primary, or only, mode of transportation. The thing is though, your particular issue isn't a common one and there aren't a lot of folks who have had actual issues with the AE system on these bikes. Add on to that, there's a lot of other bikes out there with common issues that you could be jumping to.

I figure, I'm keeping my AE till it hits 100K miles and then I'll trade it in. I'll have used it all up and at that point I'll have gotten my money's worth. I'm almost halfway there now. :D

Good luck with whatever you do. You don't say how many miles are on it but I'd guess somewhere in the $6-7K range. I bought my 07 in March of '12 for about $7500 with corbin seats on it. Yours is a year older and another year has passed so depending on mileage, somewhere in there will sell.

Makes that Moto Guzzi look better and better, maybe a Royal Enfield. A 1st gen KLR too, the 2nd gens are not so good. Time to put some serious effort into the GL 1000.

Shift control computer was finally installed today. That did not fix it. Now they are going to order a clutch actuator and try that. According to the staff at the dealership, Yamaha wants them to try to run it through my after market warranty. If they won't pay, only then will Yamaha still good-faith warranty it.

That sounds like crap. It's a continuing problem that was reported within the warranty period. The fact that the warranty has since expired doesn't relieve them of making it right.

The clutch actuator was ordered Friday. It has left Japan, and is being delivered to the shop that has my bike. That does me no good though because Yamaha has now told the shop they are to stop working on my bike.:angryfire: How do they have the right to stop work they are not paying for? :headbang:My after market warranty has already approved the repair.:clap: Really, Yamaha is stopping the shop from doing the work.

Thank you for the use of your book. IT has be very informative.

That's odd, if it's not going through Yamaha's warranty then what right do they have to stop the repairs.

Talked to the shop this morning and had them call Yamaha. Yamaha told them if someone else was paying they would not stop the repairs, but they wanted everyone to know that they did not approve the work and would not pay for any more repairs. Secondary warranty is prepared to pay for this next repair, if the parts will ever show up.

Back