• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Top Case Capacity

Reaction score
When I was searching for a top case I found that all capacity measurements are in liters or helmets. Since I couldn't convert that to clothes and gear, I spent a lot of time looking at measurements and reading reviews hoping that someone would tell me that my gear would fit in the case. The finer points of installation of all available cases have been cussed and discussed ad nauseaum, but rarely does anyone discuss the daily carrying capacity of a top case. In the end I bought the Garage Pro 22-1/2in. W x 16-1/2in. L x 11in. H Large Matte Black Travel Trunk, I think it's 46 liters or 1 helmet. I commute daily ~26 miles on the freeway.

I am fortunate enough to have a gym and showers in the basement at work, so I carry my office clothes into the office. I usually work out at lunch, so I carry my workout shoes as well.
01-DSC_7713-L.jpg

02-DSC_7714-L.jpg

03-DSC_7715-L.jpg

04-DSC_7716-L.jpg

05-DSC_7717-L.jpg

06-DSC_7718-L.jpg

My laptop bag is a TSA approved foldout style bag. I have used a backpack style bag, but this one is smaller, and I can fit other things in the case if needed.

07-DSC_7719-L.jpg

08-DSC_7720-L.jpg

To pack the bag, first the clothes go in:

09-DSC_7722-L.jpg

Then the laptop

10-DSC_7723-L.jpg

As you can see the lid closes all the way without forcing it down

11-DSC_7724-L.jpg

Here the lid is raised a bit to see how everything fits inside.

12-DSC_7725-L.jpg

As you can see, I can fit quite a bit of stuff in this case. I would expect that cases of a similar size could be packed in the same manner. If I stop to buy a six pack on the way home from work I have to do one of two things:
  • take the bottles out and pack them around everything in the case
  • bungee the gear bag to the passenger seat and lay the six pack on it's side in the case.

When I ride to local events where the riding gear is inappropriate, such as a 5K run or the races at Cresson I like to change and store my gear when I get there.
My Riding Gear:

13-DSC_7726-L.jpg

In the top case:

15-DSC_7728-L.jpg

16-DSC_7729-L.jpg

17-DSC_7730-L.jpg

Where did you get the top box at? I had a thread recently about top cases. Wound up getting a Givi that is working out great. I put a tent,sleeping bag,change of clothes,food,hat,and misc in mine and it worked out fine. It will hold two helmets maybe if they are medium two larges no way. I have a Amazon one also but not in use yet.

Tim I guess we are the only ones with top boxes.:rofl: There is a new Concours only thread if you would like to post some pics of your.

Thanks for the post.

I recently ordered a Givi E45 case and should have it arrive sometime this week, it's my first hard luggage and your post gives me an idea of what real world usable space there will be.

Cool write up, I ordered a Happy Trails Canyon cut 47 liter aluminum top box. They are back ordered and it should ship around the 27th. I'll post some pix when and if I do get it.....:doh:

Tim's case is a dead ringer for my J C Whitney large which is 41 L I think. Your pack pictures look very similar. It's a good case at a very reasonable price.

Back