• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Squids gonna squid, Range rover plows over pack of squids

Reaction score
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukdkgLYYbw"]GOPR2900 - YouTube[/ame]

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

I'm with the SUV on this one.

If you watch closely it appears one of the riders head butts the drivers window just before the SUV takes off.

The video seems to cut off at an interesting point. They must not have wanted any evidence to get out.

I think I would have felt very threatened by a pack of squids who forced me to stop. I might not have stopped in the first place.

I feel sorry for the driver of the Range Rover.

I am angered by the motorcyclists.

I am happy that this is captured on video and can be used in trial.

Mob Mentality Rules!!!!! Idiots.....

SUV driver should get multiple attempted murder charges.

For?

His life was being threatened. Of course in Texas that is simply a defense to prosecution so I guess he could get the charges here, but there is a pretty good defense. ESP since one of the riders tried to force entry in to the vehicle by trying to break the glass with his helmet(just before the driver hits the gas). That justifies use of force in Texas.

1. Bottom line, don't expect respect if you don't show it. Shutting down a roadway is not a way to show respect for fellow drivers on the road.

2. SUV driver was kind of stupid. No way of knowing if even one of those squids was carrying a firearm.

3. Squids are stupid to pursue. He's already ridden over one bike. They are lucky he didn't use his vehicle against them again while they were next to him.

All that said, it can be pretty terrifying to be behind someone shutting down the road like that. I was in my car when the Boss Hoggin car club (bunch of sedans with huge wheels and matching stickers on their windows) decided to shut down the highway here in Dallas right in front of me. I had no clue what was going on. They could have decided to hop out and rob the cars behind them, shoot them, whatever. We had nowhere to go. I was looking for opportunities to go around and get the **** out of there but there was nothing.

This SUV driver may have felt the same fear especially if people made gestures to him.

100%, everything that happened in that video, I attribute to the motorcyclists. It was all in their control and everything happened as a result of their choices.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-surround-vehicle-annual-street-ride.html

WATCH: Pack of motorcyclists beat up SUV driver after high-speed chase when he TWICE ran over bikers in bid to escape with wife and child

Range Rover attacked by motorcyclists after driver accidentally hit a biker
Vehicle then ploughs through stationary bikers that have surrounded it
Bikers chase the SUV, carrying couple and young child, and try to attack it
The driver then speeds off hitting motorcyclists for the second time
It eventually grinds to a halt in NYC traffic and bikers smash the window
Man in his 30s treated in hospital for lacerations to his face and body
Police said, contradictory to online comments, there were no other injuries

:bbq:
http://www.stuntbums.com/articles/2473/range-rover-runs-over-bikers-nyc

Found on ADV.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=923678

A link to this news article:

http://gothamist.com/2013/09/30/video_driver_plows_over_motorcyclis.php

Video: Driver Plows Through Motorcyclists, High Speed Chase Ends In Assault

093013rangerov.jpeg

A disturbing video shows a group of motorcyclists being run over by a Range Rover on the West Side Highway yesterday afternoon during an annual group motorcycle ride and rally called the "Hollywood Block Party." About 30 seconds into the video below, the driver comes to a stop on the highway with a large crowd of motorcyclists surrounding the vehicle. He then proceeds to speed ahead, taking out several bikers in his path:

As the video continues, many of the motorcyclists give chase. At roughly the 4:50 mark, the Range Rover driver slows to a stop, and one biker runs up to the vehicle and manages to pull open the door. The driver escapes again, but is finally cornered after leaving the highway. Here's a short Instagram video that edits down the longer video to the most confrontational moments:

According to an NYPD spokesman, the motorist, identified as an Asian male who was driving with his wife and child, was assaulted at 218th Street, where he was finally forced to stop because his tires were slashed. Toward the end of the video, you can see one motorcyclist smashing in the driver's side window with his helmet. That's where the video ends, but the NYPD says the bikers proceeded to beat and slash the driver, leaving him with black eyes and lacerations on his face and torso. He was subsequently treated and released.

Though it's claimed here that one of the motorcyclists was killed, neither the FDNY nor the NYPD press offices have any record of motorcycle fatalities or even injuries. An NYPD spokesman says the driver "inadvertently" struck one of the motorcyclists, "causing no injuries." Then the motorcyclists allegedly "attacked" the vehicle, and that's when the driver sped off (at the 30 second mark), "striking more."

One motorcyclist who joined the ride but left before this incident tells us, via email, that "cops were out full force trying to block bridge and tunnels preventing groups of bike entering the city. They impounded plenty. The ride started in Brooklyn and was supposed to have ended in Time squares as it did last year. Cops quickly broke it up into smaller packs. Squids if you ask me..."

With that many motorbikes around, I would not be stopping. Nasty situation and the motorcyclist look to be at fault to me, you can't have that many bikes all riding together in one group, they need to be spread out so that other traffic can change lane and use the roads. This does NOT appear to be the case..

Gary

Last edited:
For?

His life was being threatened. Of course in Texas that is simply a defense to prosecution so I guess he could get the charges here, but there is a pretty good defense. ESP since one of the riders tried to force entry in to the vehicle by trying to break the glass with his helmet(just before the driver hits the gas). That justifies use of force in Texas.

For running over the a dozen riders and running away from the scene of an accident. And attempting to run over a few more. Using a 5000 pound vehicle as a deadly weapon.

With that many motorbikes around, I would not be stopping. Nasty situation and the motorcyclist look to be at fault to me, you can't have that many bikes all riding together in one group, they need to be spread out so that other traffic can change lane and use the roads. This does NOT appear to be the case..

Gary

Even if the motorcyclist is wrong to be riding too slowly and not leaving the left lane open for passing vehicle...that doesn't give SUV'er the right to plow over motorcyclists with a 5000 pound vehicle.

THis is disparity of force. They inconvenience you. You try to kill them!

For running over the a dozen riders and running away from the scene of an accident. And attempting to run over a few more. Using a 5000 pound vehicle as a deadly weapon.

So he should have say there with his family while surrounded with some guy trying to smash his window.

I have no idea what the law is in New York, but here his actions would have been legal and justified. There was an eminent threat and he removed himself from it.

He did NOT use force on the open roads when he had plenty of opportunity because it was not necessary, he simply acted to protect his family using the only means he had.

Would you sit there and put your family in danger?

Even if the motorcyclist is wrong to be riding too slowly and not leaving the left lane open for passing vehicle...that doesn't give SUV'er the right to plow over motorcyclists with a 5000 pound vehicle.

The rider in front of him let off the throttle and never touched his brake to get the light on. He did this in front of a driver who was distracted (and with good reason). For the minor accident, yes the driver was at fault. But we don't have any legal justification to use force against a driver who rear ends us.

When the bikers surrounded the vehicle and tried to force entry use of force became legal under Texas law. There is no differentiating between using his car, a gun, or a weed whacker under these circumstances.

Disparity of force does not apply.

There's also the disparity off a 100 riders vs 1 RR driver his wife and their small child.

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

You're intentionally trying to be an antagonist aren't you?

Did you even watch the video?

Did you even read the news articles that quotes the Law Enforcement?

EDIT: I swallowed the bait.... :doh: I am going back and re-read my own advice...

Sadly this appears to be a case of two wrongs NOT making a right! Does anyone have the link for the dump truck running over some bikers?

Sadly this appears to be a case of two wrongs NOT making a right! Does anyone have the link for the dump truck running over some bikers?

If you're talking about my post, there is no link. I was in a cage nearby when a bunch of cruisers parading on the 4th of July blocked an intersection so the ride could stay together. One guy sat in the middle of the intersection and held up his hand to keep traffic from crossing while the rest just motored on through the red light. Some guy in a dump truck didn't notice the guy on the bike until it was too late and barreled into the intersection causing lots of disarray. Nobody was hit, but the guy in the middle of the intersection with his hand up is unlikely to do it again. Saw a similar situation in Clear Lake a few years later.

These big group rides, planned or impromptu, are not too smart. Having read the article, I would have done the same as the driver of the Rover with the exception that I would have kept hitting bikes my family was safe. Just because a guy is on a bike doesn't put him in the right.

Driver should have moved right and let the pack past rather than hang out in the center and let them flow around him. Rider shouldn't have antagonized him and then wound up getting hit. Driver shouldn't have tried to flee the scene; riders shouldn't have chased him, and definitely shouldn't have assaulted his vehicle.

Poor behavior all around. Mob mentality from the bikes, fight or flee from the RR. He crosses the line big time when he actually runs over a bike trying to get away- even if you're worried about the angry riders, you stop, pull over to the shoulder if possible, and call 911. You don't make things worse. The riders crossed the line the minute they started antagonizing the RR.

Put 'em all in jail is what I says. There are no angels in that video.

.... No way of knowing if even one of those squids was carrying a firearm.

That's almost impossible. Firearms are illegal in NYC. /sarcasm off

Everyone involved made bad choices. But I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing if I was in the same situ as the RR driver.
His big tactical error was going to the surface street where he was more likely to get stuck in traffic with no escape plan (maybe he was headed to a fire/police station). But even when confronted with no forward path, he could have reversed instead of sitting there.

I don't really blame the SUV driver. It appears he was attacked or someone tried to get entry into the car. If my wife and kids were with me, I wouldn't have stopped at running just one over.
My truck is big and all who perused would have been hit. I don't mess around when my kids are involved.

However, I most likely would not have allowed myself to get in that situation. I would have been moving to the right and following the van that made it thru.

There is no excuse for succumbing to mob mentality.

Thanks to all the squids for doing their part as ambassadors for motorcycling. NOT!

Reading from the squid site linked above it seems the guy came off a ramp into this mob and they took offense, pulling in front of and stopping the Range Rover. Then, many riders dismounted and began walking toward the car. Man with wife and child on board was frightened and tried to escape. That is where the video starts as I understand it.

After provoking the incident over an otherwise routine traffic discourtesy these guys decided to attack the driver, beat and cut him, slash his tires and terrorize his family. Oh yes, that is the smart thing to do ..... :doh:

This is road rage by the squids taken to an extreme, only because they are in a large group. Even if the driver exiting disrupted their parade this is no reason to do anything other than grit your teeth and continue on, as long as there was no collision. (which there wasn't, as per the squid site)

Jerks on bikes setting the example for the squids of the future. Gee, thanks.

Driver should have moved right and let the pack past rather than hang out in the center and let them flow around him. Rider shouldn't have antagonized him and then wound up getting hit. Driver shouldn't have tried to flee the scene; riders shouldn't have chased him, and definitely shouldn't have assaulted his vehicle.

Poor behavior all around. Mob mentality from the bikes, fight or flee from the RR. He crosses the line big time when he actually runs over a bike trying to get away- even if you're worried about the angry riders, you stop, pull over to the shoulder if possible, and call 911. You don't make things worse. The riders crossed the line the minute they started antagonizing the RR.

Put 'em all in jail is what I says. There are no angels in that video.

Would you really pull over with 50-100 people threatening you?

Would you not run over a few bikes to protect your wife and kids?

The whole out-of-control vibe in the clip reminded me of the opening sequence in Brad Pitt's World War Z

[ame="http://youtu.be/UYKL2qEj47Y"]http://youtu.be/UYKL2qEj47Y[/ame]

I don't really blame the SUV driver. It appears he was attacked or someone tried to get entry into the car. If my wife and kids were with me, I wouldn't have stopped at running just one over.
My truck is big and all who perused would have been hit. I don't mess around when my kids are involved.

However, I most likely would not have allowed myself to get in that situation. I would have been moving to the right and following the van that made it thru.

this^^^^ AND the RR has just as much right to be on that road as the bikers. i think they could have just moved around him just as easily, but no, they had to show him a thing or two.

i see this thread getting locked soon.

Back