• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Track Days

Reaction score
Doesn't look like there is much recent activity regarding track days anymore here on TWT...

I've now been in Texas for 3 summers and haven't done a track day since moving. I think my last track day was Sept 2010, Summit Main in WV.

Looks like both RideSmart and LoneStar have some remaining days left this year, and now with the cooler weather, would like to give it another go before deciding if I should sell my 636 or not.

RideSmart has Oct 19 at ECR
LoneStar has Fri Oct 25th at Texas World Speedway

There are also some days in November for both organizations.

Doing track days alone is never a good idea so was hoping to find somebody that was interested in doing a day or two this year from the ATX area to drive out with.

Experience level doesn't matter. But let me warn you, if you haven't done a track day before, they are very addictive!

I do quite alot of them. My next one will be with Tractactics at Texas World Speedway on Oct 14. I live in San Marcos so we could meet up along the way easily or just at the track. Pm anytime

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

:tab I know there are quite a few folks on TWT that do trackdays. Some even teach at them. There are also folks to that do the CMRA endurance and sprint races. But for some unknown reason, they have just never been a big topic of discussion here. I guess they just post about track related stuff elsewhere :shrug:

:tab I know there are quite a few folks on TWT that do trackdays. Some even teach at them. There are also folks to that do the CMRA endurance and sprint races. But for some unknown reason, they have just never been a big topic of discussion here. I guess they just post about track related stuff elsewhere :shrug:

I figured there had to be some. Doing a search there were some threads from a couple years ago, but the only one from this year was the Cruiser/Touring day RideSmart did earlier in the year (should have gone to that!).

Mike.. Thanks for the heads up on Track Tactics. First I have heard of the organization. It's nice to have another option. I just may take you up on the offer!

I figured there had to be some. Doing a search there were some threads from a couple years ago, but the only one from this year was the Cruiser/Touring day RideSmart did earlier in the year (should have gone to that!).

Mike.. Thanks for the heads up on Track Tactics. First I have heard of the organization. It's nice to have another option. I just may take you up on the offer!

Well, if you do one, please post up a report ;-) Hopefully that will encourage other TWT folks to consider doing some track days. I think many folks think it is just about racing, which it is not. They don't think of it as closed course riding instruction. My insurance company even covered my bike when I did track days.

<~~ track addict (full disclosure)

Here's a list of all local trackdays that I know of:

Friday LSTD events are primarily racer practice days and precede a CMRA race weekend. Their groups are broken up into A. licensed expert racer, B. licensed novice racer, and C. intermediate street (otherwise referred to as B or L2 group), as spelled out on their registration form. By no means do I mean to discourage you from participating on that day, if you are comfortable in the intermediate group. This would not be an ideal day for someone new to the track. (It takes a little bit of practice to get used to using the entire paved surface, not following painted lines, and not having suggested speed markers. ;))

Last edited:
I live in north Austin, and i would be interested in grouping up to do some track days.
There is only one catch, it may not be soon, as my finances vary widely sometimes, as far as when i have extra cash to throw on something like that....There is a slight "maybe" that i would have some extra cash around the 11th of October... will just have to see how money works out then...
Update: Actually, I just checked the RideSmart site, and it appears they have 50% off coupons.... but first come first served.. so if i got in on that deal.. making it around $75 give or take, then i may be more willing and ready to go this month...

I will say that i attended one of the free sessions done by RideSmart at Woods one night, and i became very intrigued. never done track day before... but i anticipate loving it if i ever get around to it.

the tracks were all a fair distance from Austin though, if i remember right.
and the prices were kinda not cheap.
But boy, did it look/sound fun.
Not sure if they said they offer camping or whatever, but if i made it an overnight event i may be more into it...but then id have to go grab myself a tent or something to sleep in... roll up in a tarp if i got to. LOL

I always go the night before and camp. TWS charges a small, like 5 bucks gate fee but the others are typically free. Most either get a hotel room, bring a camper or tent camp. I have seen others sleep in the wide open on a chair or in the paddock on a air mattress. There are showers and toilets available as well

Ridesmart is a great group and the 50 discount is awesome for the first time. They also offer free leathers and boots to first timers. However they tend to have large groups especially level 1 (begginner).

Tracktactics is a great group as well and doesnt have leathers available (that i know) but they have much smaller grids and lots of one on one instruction. I do believe however you can wear synthetic riding gear in level one but you should verify that.

One day on the track with instruction will make anyone a much safer, confident, capable street rider as well.

The thing to remember is that track days are not races it is an oppotunity to learn new skills while pushing your personal limits within your comfort zone. There are no prizes or bragging rights but it is the most fun you will have on two wheels.

Come on out if the cash flow works out and let me know, i would be happy to show you around and help get you going for the day.

Micheal

I live in north Austin, and i would be interested in grouping up to do some track days.
There is only one catch, it may not be soon, as my finances vary widely sometimes, as far as when i have extra cash to throw on something like that....There is a slight "maybe" that i would have some extra cash around the 11th of October... will just have to see how money works out then...
Update: Actually, I just checked the RideSmart site, and it appears they have 50% off coupons.... but first come first served.. so if i got in on that deal.. making it around $75 give or take, then i may be more willing and ready to go this month...

I will say that i attended one of the free sessions done by RideSmart at Woods one night, and i became very intrigued. never done track day before... but i anticipate loving it if i ever get around to it.

the tracks were all a fair distance from Austin though, if i remember right.
and the prices were kinda not cheap.
But boy, did it look/sound fun.
Not sure if they said they offer camping or whatever, but if i made it an overnight event i may be more into it...but then id have to go grab myself a tent or something to sleep in... roll up in a tarp if i got to. LOL

The 50% helps for sure.. If you enjoy it as much as most, you will be looking to find new ways to pay for your new addiction. ;)

Track days offer a reasonably controlled environment to ride your bike to your own personal limits and learn the skills to push those limits, safely.

Ride Smart has a day on the 19th at Eagle Canyon (Decatur, north of Ft Worth).

I will be at TWS for trackday then racing Sat and Sun. this weekend.

So how do we draw out all the TWT peeps that do trackdays so that other folks notice it more and perhaps take an interest?

Send me a banner and i will hang it up each event and post more here to get the word out. Of course its late in the year and only a handfull of events left. I would even be interested in organizing group dinners in the evenings durin the weekend. Simple

So how do we draw out all the TWT peeps that do trackdays so that other folks notice it more and perhaps take an interest?
Actually, videos involving altercations with drivers, police organizing motorcycle checkpoints, gravel/oil waiting for you around the bend, and oncoming vehicles crossing the yellow do plenty to generate interest. ;-)

FYI, within the last couple of years, RideSmart has held events with a cruiser/tourer only group, so the interest isn't just from sportbike riders.

I do quite alot of them. My next one will be with Tractactics at Texas World Speedway on Oct 14. I live in San Marcos so we could meet up along the way easily or just at the track. Pm anytime

I'm very excited! Oct 14 is perfect because I can get that day off work.
Would ya'll suggest that a complete track noob like myself just go and watch the first time?

i checked out the TT website, and briefly the RideSmart one too. RideSmart gives more detail on how the day is structured than TT does, anyone familiar with both and how they compare?

also, stupid question maybe, is it 'acceptable' to ride your bike to the track? Or should i trailer in case the bike is not rideable afterward?? (Hex that thought, hex it now!)

I live about an hour's ride from TWS.

Been wanting to do a track day for a while now, am so glad this discussion has come up.
gina

just go and watch the first time?
Sign up and ride your first day. I've done RideSmart a few times and they move new riders into the process slowly. It's a full on blast. Make sure you know the gear requirements and condition/prep of the bike before you show up for the track day. That part was confusing for me.

also, stupid question maybe, is it 'acceptable' to ride your bike to the track?
You can, but at the end of the day (for me anyway) I was worn out. And it's hard to believe, but I was ready to load the bike on my truck. I tell young riders for the entry fee they'll get all the twisties they can stand for a full day, and all for less than the cost of one speeding ticket.

I'm way overdue for a track day.

Last edited by a moderator:
The two local sportbike groups I ride with in Austin are on Meetup.com and they do a lot of track days, seems there's one almost every weekend. They have posted recently that they're coming to an end (no winter riding). Folks looking to ride along, trailer space, etc. I've never done a track day so don't know much more about it but you might try searching.

ASR - Austin Sportbike Riders
TXSR - Texas Sportbike Riders

I believe there are dedicated track day groups too on meetup.com but not positive.

I'm very excited! Oct 14 is perfect because I can get that day off work.
Would ya'll suggest that a complete track noob like myself just go and watch the first time?

i checked out the TT website, and briefly the RideSmart one too. RideSmart gives more detail on how the day is structured than TT does, anyone familiar with both and how they compare?

also, stupid question maybe, is it 'acceptable' to ride your bike to the track? Or should i trailer in case the bike is not rideable afterward?? (Hex that thought, hex it now!)

I live about an hour's ride from TWS.

Been wanting to do a track day for a while now, am so glad this discussion has come up.
gina

Ok so you have taken the first step on doing a little research and are all excited about doing the track day...fantastic welcome to the addiction.

To answer a few questions you may have:

Can I ride to the track? Absolutely but it is not the best thing. By the the end of the day you will be tired and I mean tired. That hour ride home that is normally not a problem now becomes work and your focus is not at its peak by the end of the day. However, I see lots of riders do it.

Should I come and watch first? While you are always to come out and watch you will kick yourself for not signing up once the motors start going and you really won't get a sense of what it is all about unless you get out there.

So how does the day work?
To start off with registration usually starts between 6 and 630 am where you will log in and recieve your grid sticker for your bike. No sticker no ride

After you get your sticker you proceed to tech. In tech they will do a look over of your bike and make sure all your stuff works and is suitable for the track. Note: it doesn't have to be pretty just work properly.

Focus items here are brakes, clutch, kill switch, tires, and chain. Speaking of chain you want it slightly loose. Most manufacture settings are too tight for the track but most are easily adjusted. Lights and mirrors must be taped over is you are riding a street bike. Highly recommend 3m blue painters tape. Leaves no residue.

After tech you grab a coffee and chill or walk around and visit until the riders meeting. The riders meetings are mandatory and will cover important need to know stuff for the day.

After the riders meeting you will go to class (if the organization offers such) and wait your turn for the grid. Typically Level 3 (racer level guys) go out at the top of the hour followed by Level 2 (intermediate) at 20 after and Level 3 (novice) at 40 after. That schedule rotates all day with whatever lunch break is scheduled.

IMPORTANT: Please register for level 1 if you have not done a track day. riding the track is far different from the street and taking the time to learn the proper line and etiquette makes everyones day better. Peer pressure comes into play here but if you are good enough for the next level your instructor will let you know and move you up. That is far more fun than being told you need to go down a level. I have seen new to the track riders go straight to level 2 because their buddies are there and they not only put themselves in danger but everyone else on the track. There is no shame riding in level 1. Please Please Please.

I will post more shortly

gina

Both 3T and Ridesmart are very similar with the product the have but at the same time very different.

Ridesmart has mandatory class for Level 1 and 2 where 3T is optional. If it is your first time to the track I highly encourage attending. Good info that will help make your day much more fun.

Ridesmart does a track drive in the morning where 3T does it at lunch with live demonstrations of each corner. Again Highly encourage attending as this will give you an on the ground look at the track. When youre riding you may not notice how much camber there is or spot to hit or avoid etc.

Bike and Gear requirements are the same I believe but may want to contact them directly for clarification of acceptable gear.

The biggest difference is the grid size. RS has large grid sizes that sometimes can be frustrating just due to the number of people on the track. 3T limits the numbers and typically has much smaller grids which means you get to focus on the track not the people around you.

Both have pros and cons and I do both and have much respect for both and highly enjoy both so I won't recommend one or the other however if I knew then what I know now I would have definately chosen the smaller grid size for my first time out.

If anyone has specific questions maybe I can help just PM me or at least I might be able to send you in the right direction.

I will be arriving TWS Oct 13 and camping out. Driving a Blue F150 with a Jayco Octane Toy Hauler in tow. Usually park in the back corner somewhere (yes I have a noisy generator so I try to be considerate :clap: ) Stop by and say hi or PM and I will send my phone number give me a call when you arrive.

Awesome! Thank you and yes I have lots of questions. Will write again later--pressed for time now.
THANKS!

Excellent info, and my experience with other track day orgs has been pretty much the same.

If you go to watch, after the 2nd or 3rd session you will wish you were out there yourself.

Riding to the track is usually not a good idea for the 2 reasons already mentioned. I also bring a bunch of other optional items to the track that simply wouldnt fit on the bike.

:tab I think the BIG thing to keep in mind if you do a track day is that you are NOT there to go fast! You are there to go SMOOTH, even if it means going slower. Once you get that down, fast is a byproduct of being smooth. Smooth = relaxed and using only the energy you need, working with the bike instead of fighting the bike. If you worry about being fast, you start making mistakes and scaring yourself.

:tab Also, corner working can be a good learning experience and it is fun to watch the other riders.

Send me a banner and i will hang it up each event and post more here to get the word out. Of course its late in the year and only a handfull of events left. I would even be interested in organizing group dinners in the evenings durin the weekend. Simple

:tab Dave, the Ridesmart owner, and I have talked for hours about how to promote trackdays and get more people interested in them. At several different times, he had a subforum here on TWT and even ran a few banners. However, he never knew if the people showing up at the events were TWT members so he wasn't sure if it was worth the presence here.

:tab PM me your address. I think I may have one of the 1' X 4' TWT banners I can send you.

:tab I think the BIG thing to keep in mind if you do a track day is that you are NOT there to go fast! You are there to go SMOOTH, even if it means going slower. Once you get that down, fast is a byproduct of being smooth. Smooth = relaxed and using only the energy you need, working with the bike instead of fighting the bike. If you worry about being fast, you start making mistakes and scaring yourself.

:tab Also, corner working can be a good learning experience and it is fun to watch the other riders.

Excellent!

Also for anyone who does have an unfortunate moment you were attending motorcycle advanced training on a closed circuit not I was at a track day. Most insurance will cover during training accidents but wont if they feel competition was a factor. At least that is what my guy told me when i was using my street bike. Now that i have a dedicated track bike all i need is safetywire, zip ties, fiberglass and duct tape :eek:

Not to open that debate however.

Back