• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nikon Retro Full-Frame, Digital FM2

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Nikon Rumors and PetaPixel http://petapixel.com/2013/10/21/rumor-nikon-announce-new-full-frame-rival-a7-next-3-weeks/

is posting that Nikon is coming out with a new Retro Digital Camera to compete with Sony's. The Rumors are it will be Full-Frame (FX) and built similar to the old film FM2.

I have a long history with Nikon Film Cameras: FM, FE, FM2, F3. I almost jumped on the Fuji Retro camera X100 (looks like a Leica) but waited. This could be a really great body to shoot all my Ai/AiS manual focus lenses.

I do hope they bring this camera to market and that it is a good design. Although, I can't afford it right now.

OK, that's kinda neat.

I agree!

The first company that can make one of these smaller bodies that has a great continuous auto-focus is going to make a ton of money. 10 or 12 fps doesn't matter if the focus can't follow the subject.

Nikon Rumors says it will be called the "DF". They are posting teaser videos from Nikon called "Pure Photography".

Reminds me of the teaser videos for the Triumph Tiger 800 a few years ago.

What do yall think; would you buy a Retro Nikon DSLR?

I read somewhere that the target price would be in the $3000 range. With that, I would be out for now and for the future as well. Heck, a D600 can now be had for something like $1500 since it is now a model older.

As cool looking as it is, I'd likely pass. Just too much coin for me.

Who'd want to spend all that coin anyway?

I was out playing with this one yesterday and today. You know.... for Assignment #118 B&W. :photo: It's REAL retro.

NikonFE-L.jpg

Who'd want to spend all that coin anyway?

I was out playing with this one yesterday and today. You know.... for Assignment #118 B&W. :photo: It's REAL retro.

NikonFE-L.jpg

What, no Orange, Yellow or Green Filters? Gotta have those for great B&W's. :-P

I so want this camera! I've been following the Rumors and imagining myself putting this new Nikon to good use with all my Classic Ai and AiS lenses. I love the dial controls so I can see what is usually "buried" in a menu on my other DSLR's. My only decision is: Silver & Black or All Black.

Hmmmm....new Triumph Tiger 800 to replace the KLR or a new Nikon Df. :scratch:

Nikon-Df-black-front.jpg

I like silver & black personally.

And I agree.. I to want this camera. No way I can justify it though. But it is a very cool package.

nikon-df-22.jpg

It looks beautiful. I wish it had the 52-point AF system instead of the 39-point. No interest in shooting manual lenses for me. At the end of the day there's no way I could fork over that kind of money when I could have a D800 for basically the same price.

I'm guessing Nikon is going to slash the price for Christmas time.

Ahhh-hmmmmm.....

Precision has 'em. :trust:

[ame="http://youtu.be/wJB6TZHlGZ4"]Un-boxing the new Nikon Df - as in fantastic! - YouTube[/ame]

Somebody on TWT needs to buy this camera. Then all of us "photo-nuts" can ride over and play with it.

While it has emotional appeal to those of us old enough to remember the good old days of mechanical SLR's, the camera is priced outrageously high for what it delivers as a photographic tool. I love the looks and all that, but not enough to spend that kind of cash. I do use an Olympus OM-1 with a Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and film when I am feeling nostalgic. When I need the best images, the D800 does the trick for me.... and when I am traveling and want low profile and convenience, a Fuji x100 does the job wonderfully well.

While it won't replace my G11 for trips, I might love it for everything else. It's old school cool for an old dude. :-)

I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....

I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....I don't need this camera.... I don't need this camera....
Did that help? :trust:

I'm going to be the angel on your right shoulder.... You don't need it. You have a D800. There's nothing the DF can do that the D800 can't. It's a bit smaller/lighter and a lot bit cooler, but still, not worth it. ;-)

I was over at Precision-Camera today again and got to fondle the fx body. Man is it LIGHTWEIGHT. And looking at the top, all the buttons and dials are in the right spot and they all control the camera just like the ones did. Pull it up and look through the viewfinder and it's crystal clear and BRIGHT with all the digital readout on the bottom of the D4. (same processor as the D4 too)

yeah, don't pick one up or you just might be picking one up!

I have not seen one in person yet, but there is nothing that I don't like about this camera from what I have read.

i-KjgzwDM-L.png

If money is no object I would have one already for the "novelty" of it. But if I am honest it is the "Novelty" of it that is probably the 70% of the attraction to it. The D4 components make up the rest of what attracts me.

No, I will not be getting one these for 2 reasons.

1. It doesn't bring anything to the table that differentiates itself from my current gear, aside from aesthetics.

2. Price.

I am still saving for a high frame rate, full frame body D4 or even a D3s maybe. When you and I shot the motorcycle events and my volunteer shoots at the golf events has made me really appreciate a fast shutter.

I think if Nikon could introduce some kind of basic camera like this with a more reasonable price they might sell a million of them. There are lots of fellows like me with a lot of the older lenses that would buy the camera. I cannot justify the price of the Df regardless of the cool factor. Thanks to Nikon for introducing it though.

Back