• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS Bike Advice

Reaction score
First Name
Rex
So I already have a V-Strom 1000, which is FAR to the street side of the DS spectrum. In the 8 years I've owned it, I've rocked it with TKC80's, taken it where I've been told it can't go, seen how well it flies (it can be done, but it's not confidence inspiring), tackled mud, water crossings, etc... However, I enjoy this bike much more on the road than in the dirt. Lately, I've been jonesing for a bike nearer the other end of the DS spectrum. I've been doing a bit of reading and I think I want a DRZ400, but there might be other bikes that will do the job that I've missed.

So here's my thought process: Balancing power and weight seems to be the big conundrum with this type of bike. Dirt prowess vs streetability. I don't want something so big and heavy that it's more work than fun to ride offroad (already have the Strom), but I also don't want something that is giving everything it has to hit 60 on the highway or is ridiculously buzzy and uncomfortable onroad. So I figured that strikes out something like a KLR650 on the big end, or any of the 250's on the small end. So something in the 400cc range seems to be it. There seem to be plenty of DRZ400's on the used market between $2000 to $3000. Since this will be a second bike, cheaper is better.

Of course, all of this comes from my uneducated, inexperienced opinion rather than from experience So, tell me what I haven't thought of and what bike you think might best fit the bill.

You can come and try my xrr , I am not to far from you. I like the xrr because it is way more dirt than street and I feel it compliments my strom really well. Does really well on the street with stock gear ratio and has plenty of power.

Signatures ?????? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

After re reading your post again it looks like you are leaning to something smaller. Anyway if you do want to come ride it you are welcome to

Signatures ?????? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Thanks, JMZ. I think I want something a bit smaller than a 650, but I'll be happy to come ride with you!

with your price range and other criteria, i would say the drz would be a good way to go. i've read a lot about drz owners really not liking the drz on the freeway tho, i'm sure it will do it just fine. i rode a friends drz many times and it's a fine bike.

Consider the DR350 too. It was replaced by the DRZ in the lineup, but what it gives up in motor it makes up for with a 6 speed transmission. They are pretty darn reliable and can cruise at 60 plus with ease. Price point will be under you target range, leaving $$ in your pocket for goodies to tailor it to your wants.

I know of some that have sold in the $1200 to $1500 range and one that commanded $1700 had full Race-Tech suspension installed.

Yeah, I don't have to LOVE it on the freeway, because I'll just take my Strom for longer, more road oriented trips. I just don't want something that feels like it's going to explode or shake apart before it hits 60.

An XR6-FidyR is pretty close in weight to a DRZ. Might be worth the look. I've had 3 DRZs and can't say enough good Bout them. Plenty of aftermarket parts to farkles to your wants and needs for one of the most reliable bikes Ive ever owned. For the amount of distance required for finding good dirt to ride on,a bike that can take highway miles might win over dirt ridable unless you want to truck or trailer it around Texas. If that's the case a nice used plated 450 would be worth the grins and smiles.
Also and old XT350 or DR350 does well In the street and dirt.(air cooled) like the new DR650 I just saw too. Much lighter than the KLR but lacking in fuel capacity, no radiator....etc

I loved my DRZ. It will run hwy speed no problems, it just isnt the most comfortable. The DRZ really benefits with a full pipe, 3x3 mod and rejetting. One that is done, just ride the wheels off it and enjoy.

I also love my 85 XL350R. It is similar power output to the DRZ. I wouldn't be afraid of an older DS/Enduro bike that has been maintained well. I traded a mtb for my XL, so far best trade I have ever made.

Welcome to take my XL for a spin if you are ever in the DFW area.

drz400.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

photo41gv.jpg

My vote is also for a DRZ, unless you don't mine changing out front sprockets for the specific ride you are about to take.

I can swap the CS sprocket in under 10 minutes and make my CRF450X into anything I want, with killer suspension and 13" of ground clearance. I have no problem taking her out for a 500 mile day, or riding the roughest enduro tracks you can find.

I love my DRZ400s. I have not done any pdf the performance mods and I feel the power is great for off road. Once I put heavier springs front and back I can go any where comfortably. It might be a bit cumbersome in the woods but I have ridden single track, desert, big bend, beach and highway. I ride highway at 70/75 no problem with stock sprocket and knobby tires. Stock seat is uncomfortable but with a seat concepts seat I have done over 200 miles in a day without issue. hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I think the DR 650 is the perfect match for you. You won't have to mess with swapping sprockets all the time. It is a lot lighter than your 1000. Best of all you can still cruise comfortably 70 MPH all day long. I've seen people take the DR 650 anywhere the DRZ can go. Since you're comfortable on a 1000, a 650 is right for you.

I loved my DRZ. It will run hwy speed no problems, it just isnt the most comfortable. The DRZ really benefits with a full pipe, 3x3 mod and rejetting. One that is done, just ride the wheels off it and enjoy.

I also love my 85 XL350R. It is similar power output to the DRZ. I wouldn't be afraid of an older DS/Enduro bike that has been maintained well. I traded a mtb for my XL, so far best trade I have ever made.

Welcome to take my XL for a spin if you are ever in the DFW area.

drz400.jpg

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/photo41gv.jpg
/][IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img41/5514/photo41gv.jpg[/URL]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

those old Honda's never die!

I've own both the DRZ400 and the DR650. I feel the DR650 is a better all round bike. It handles the highway better and like someone already said can go anywhere the DRZ can go.

With that said the DRZ400 is higher tech and has a slight advantage in the dirt. The DR650 has the advantage on the street and with maintenance.

Both are winners in my book and you'll be happy with either one.

Lately, I've been jonesing for a bike nearer the other end of the DS spectrum. I've been doing a bit of reading and I think I want a DRZ400, but there might be other bikes that will do the job that I've missed.

I'm in the same virtual boat as Warhammer, except I sold all my Warhammer stuff years ago, as well as my old Ninja 900 with the cool "shark look" face.

Here are my requirements: I'm also looking for much more dirt than street. It should be able to do 55 or 60 comfortably, not needed for long distances tho. I'm not gonna put bags and tour south America on it, and I'm not going to do the Barstow to Vegas desert race on it either. I just want to be able to connect the paved dots on it.

I like the DRZ and the DR350, and have been looking at the WR250, but everyone puts the 300 kit on it, and I'd rather just start larger. I don't want a full-on MX bike, but I do want a play bike with good manners in the dirt. My last dirt bike was a KDX200, and it was great.

IT HAS TO HAVE THE BIG E. The magic button. At 59, I can't crank and crank on that thing on the side of a hill anymore. Nor do I want to. Bye-bye KDX. I don't want a tank either. More weight equals more work. So I'm shopping in the 250cc to 450cc range.

Cost is also an issue, I have a stable of street bikes and will be thinning the herd in the spring, when the weather warms and the prices jump back up. Price will surely be under 3K, and will likely closer to 2k than 3k, altho that's a gray area and workable for the right bike.

It seems like the DRZ holds it's value around here much better- most run around $3k or over, and anything less than that usually isn't DS. Nevada is really easy when it comes to plating a dirt bike, but I'd rather get one that isn't going to give me problems later if I move out of state.

So I'm reading a lot, and listening to people that own DS bikes. What's good, what's bad, and if your bike caught fire and burned today, what would your next choice be?

attachment.php

I've own both the DRZ400 and the DR650. I feel the DR650 is a better all round bike. It handles the highway better and like someone already said can go anywhere the DRZ can go.

With that said the DRZ400 is higher tech and has a slight advantage in the dirt. The DR650 has the advantage on the street and with maintenance.

Both are winners in my book and you'll be happy with either one.

I would agree. The 650 isn't much heavier than the 400 really, but it feels a bit heavier on the trails. On the flip side, it is lower than the 400, so it probably comes down to personal preference. If I was going to have one as a dedicated dual purpose rider, it would be the 650 if most of the dual purpose would be stuff like Big Bend, or the 400 if you're thinking of riding the pavement to get to actual trails, like where people ride straight dirt bikes.

The 650 will go anywhere the 400 can go, and in my opinion is actually pretty good at it once you respring the suspension and gear it down a bit. The 650 is lower than the XR650L (and maybe the KLR as well), and it can be lowered without real modifications as well (the shock has two mounting points, and the forks can either be slid up in the clamps, or a spacer can be swapped from the top to the bottom). The 400 will probably be a bit less tiring on the more difficult off road sections, but the transmission isn't as good for the pavement.

DR650 is a nice compromise. Low tech carbs and easy to work on. Plus if you watch CL you can pick them up cheap and fix them up the way you want.

IT HAS TO HAVE THE BIG E. The magic button. At 59, I can't crank and crank on that thing on the side of a hill anymore. Nor do I want to. Bye-bye KDX.

What? Did you really have a KDX? I can hand start mine. Two strokes are so easy to start, even after dumping it on the ground. I just sold it to a ten year old kid, and his skinny leg started a cold engine on first try. There must have been something wrong with yours.

I'm in the same virtual boat as Warhammer, except I sold all my Warhammer stuff years ago, as well as my old Ninja 900 with the cool "shark look" face.

Here are my requirements: I'm also looking for much more dirt than street. It should be able to do 55 or 60 comfortably, not needed for long distances tho. I'm not gonna put bags and tour south America on it, and I'm not going to do the Barstow to Vegas desert race on it either. I just want to be able to connect the paved dots on it.

I like the DRZ and the DR350, and have been looking at the WR250, but everyone puts the 300 kit on it, and I'd rather just start larger. I don't want a full-on MX bike, but I do want a play bike with good manners in the dirt. My last dirt bike was a KDX200, and it was great.

IT HAS TO HAVE THE BIG E. The magic button. At 59, I can't crank and crank on that thing on the side of a hill anymore. Nor do I want to. Bye-bye KDX. I don't want a tank either. More weight equals more work. So I'm shopping in the 250cc to 450cc range.

Cost is also an issue, I have a stable of street bikes and will be thinning the herd in the spring, when the weather warms and the prices jump back up. Price will surely be under 3K, and will likely closer to 2k than 3k, altho that's a gray area and workable for the right bike.

It seems like the DRZ holds it's value around here much better- most run around $3k or over, and anything less than that usually isn't DS. Nevada is really easy when it comes to plating a dirt bike, but I'd rather get one that isn't going to give me problems later if I move out of state.

So I'm reading a lot, and listening to people that own DS bikes. What's good, what's bad, and if your bike caught fire and burned today, what would your next choice be?

attachment.php

if i were in your shoes and i had a street bike to get around, i would be looking at just about any of the newer 250s as a dedicated ds bike. i believe they will all do 55-60+ mph and light enough to toss around on trails comfortably. plus they are in your price range. the reason i ride a klr 650 is because i am a one bike guy and need a "do it all" kind of bike and this is as close as i can get. my 002.

I couldn't hand start mine, and there were a few times that it left me huffing and puffing when I stalled it halfway up a hill. And once or twice like that in short order, I'm pretty well done for awhile... putt back to the truck and drink gatorade and watch the fools ride by.

It was a great bike for then and loads of fun. It's not what I'm looking for now. I'm looking for something that handles similar to that, but four stroke with an electric starter.

s40122554kb5.jpg

Did someone say "The do it all bike"?

Cheap initial price..
Great fuel range and mileage..
Great on roads as well as dirt..
Lots of farkles to drive you mad..
Reliable...
Can really load the bike down and not even notice..

Best selling DS for a reason...

But if I lost my bike I'd prolly replace it with my 4th DRZ..

Attachments

• Do it all.jpg
    Do it all.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 229
Did someone say "The do it all bike"?

Cheap initial price..
Great fuel range and mileage..
Great on roads as well as dirt..
Lots of farkles to drive you mad..
Reliable...
Can really load the bike down and not even notice..

Best selling DS for a reason...

But if I lost my bike I'd prolly replace it with my 4th DRZ..

You are probably correct but for me owning a strom, the klr is not far enough on the dirt side, thats why I like my R. I am thinking this might be the case for WH also :shrug: I actually started riding for the second time on a KLR :rider:.

I have both dr400 and dr650. 60 to 65 on the road no problem. Anywhere in the dirt my yz426 can go. Plus e start. 400 is great. The 650 would need a better rider then me to stay up with the yz in the dirt. But I am 50 an not interested in going that fast in the dirt. I am 225 lbs and the 400 a has plenty of power to haul me around the forest. Best bike is both. Get both like I did.

Back