• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Introduction

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Borders
Hey,
(I wrote my first post not realizing I wasn't logged in. I
don't know if it went to digital limbo or not, so if this is
redundant, I apologize.)

My name's Paul, I found TWT by way of Tourmeister's post
on a VFR forum. I rode dirt bikes in the 70's then started
riding again a couple of years ago on the street. I have
an '01 ZR7S and an '02 VFR.
I like sport touring and have been to Talihina Pkwy, also down
TX16 to Bandera and FM's 335,336,337 and many back roads
in east Texas. This year I hope to get to the Davis Mountains
and Arkansas Hwy 7 & 23. I'd like to get a dual sport and tour
Colorado, but can't decide which bike to sell.
I live in north Garland, near Plano and not far from McKinney
so if anyone in the area would like to get together for a TWT
bike night, or ride on the weekend, let's get together.

Cheers,
Paul Borders

Paul,
Welcome to the site. Glad to see we have another North Texas member. I'm thinking a North Texas group ride is in our near future.

Anyone have any ideas for a weekly group meeting place?

Pete

So whats this news I have heard about an incident with the Garland police and a motorcyclist? Have you heard anything about it?

Old news. http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/07/police.video.ap/index.html

However. Garland is home of a Thursday night bike night for a lot of the sport bikers here in DFW. Garland police tend to be less than patient at times especially with the local squids. Of course, the local media likes to show only the bad side of the local bike scene.

However, in this case I think the officers involved got a little carried away and were probably just running on adrenalin after the chase. Not saying what the officers did was right, but the little **** should not have run in the first place.

Pete

I tend to be a few days behind in news :-|

Garland police tend to be less than patient at times especially with the local squids.

With B/CS being full of college students(myself included) we have a lot of squids as well. Back in December, I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop at a stop light before turning right and the officer seemed a little suprised when I actually stopped for him and was able to provide valid insurance and a license. The local club always has someone telling a story about them running from the cops. Usually it's the same kid you see riding his new R6 in shorts, t-shirt, flip flops, and a baseball cap.

Yeah, my only(knock on wood) one in 8 years. :-(

Just turned in all the paperwork for it today actually. Would have been $215 too without defensive driving.

The worst thing about it was it was around 10:40 at night and I had just gotten off work. Full time student and full time work makes for long days and that one had been especially long. There is only one stoplight between my work and home, the Greens Prairie exit, about a mile past TSW, then its a straightshot on 6. It's not like I was dragging a knee, I dont think I was even leaning at all. I just didnt want to stop and put my foot down. :lol:

I know a few of the Bryan Police Dept. and they all seem to be good people, in fact, I bought my VFR from one of the sergeants there. I have never had good dealings with the CSPD though, and this one was just real annoying.

But anyways, didn't mean to hijack this thread from Paul. ;-)

Hey, it wasn't me.
Besides, I always wear an Arai cap, Vanson tank top, and Sidi
flipflops. That ain't no hooliganism.

txcpl,
Is that the Thurs night group that meets at Sonic on NW
Hwy? I went by there once in my cage to scope it
out. It was packed. There's a group that meets at the Sonic on
HWY 78 in Sachse on Tuesday night. I think it's mosty cruisers.
Considering the weather, meeting at Sonic would be down
right painful. A Starbucks might be good. Any ideas of any
other good hang out place?

Paul

Back