• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gauging Interest in a Studio Day. Help Me Pick a Date: 01/11 or 01/18

Reaction score
UDATE:

What date works better for folks: 01/11 or 01/18?

How many folks would be interested in having a Studio Day on Saturday January 11th from 10a-6pm?

The studio I use is in Arlington. It is big enough to bring your motorcycle in if you want and is only about .5 miles from Arlington Camera :trust:

I could have three indoor shooting areas set up: one white cove, one black cove, and one with a backdrop (probably using small flash). If the weather is nice I could set up a fourth shooting area outside.

All you would need to bring is your camera. Triggers would be supplied with each set up.

I could probably even get a model or two..I know some Cosplay folks who are not camera shy (Cosplay folks are much more fun than models..and more reliable). If you want to bring the SO for photos, that would be fine (though she/he better not be shy..there will be folks all over the place).....we can also model for each other if needed.

This event would not necessarily be for "portfolio" type photos (though feel free to shoot those) but more for you to have fun using equipment you might not normally have access to and to experiment.

This would not be free, I have to pay for studio time and order us lunch so I am thinking $20/head and no more than 20 folks (I need 10 to make this work at this price). That way you can get plenty of reps in on each set up. You will be able to set the lights as you want so feel free to experiment.

Afterwards you can head home or if you want to just hang out we can all go out to dinner afterwards.

If you are coming from out of town and don't mind sleeping on a couch I have room for one. I could probably fit one more if you brought an air mattress.

Anyhow let me know...this could be a fun time to play with any new camera stuff (or cameras) you get from Santa this year.

Again, this is not a formal class..though Bill (the studio owner and experienced photographer in his own right) and I will be on hand to answer questions and help set lights for you.

This could be a blast.

RSVP, ask questions or give me or .02 on this in the comments below :)

Last edited:
Re: Gauging Interest in a Studio Day

I'll see what my schedule looks like.

Would it be possible to shoot a 8' kayak or mountain bike, each with a model if I can drum her up?

And how do your triggers work with Nikon?

I'm sure Scott will chime in, but I can assure you they work great with Nikon. They were flawless with my D5100 when Scott let me come into the studio and take a few shots.

I'll see what my schedule looks like.

Would it be possible to shoot a 8' kayak or mountain bike, each with a model if I can drum her up?

The triggers are non denominational. :loll:

The kayak would fit in the white cove (it is big enough for a car) and a MTB would fit anywhere in the studio

Standard portfolio model releases?

If needed, I can swing that. If this does work out and we do use some of the cosplay folks I know they will want/deserve copies of your photos of them....your basic TFP (time for prints).

Bottom line...the studio rental for 8 hours is going to cost me $200 (the owner gives me a great rate) and then I figure another $50-75 for lunch (depending on the number people) so if just a few folks want to use the studio and are willing to pay a bit more than I am good with that also. Since I don't intend to shoot, just help folks, I really don't want to spend my own money on this deal. I also don't want to make any money on this either, just get my costs covered.

Less folks = more play time for you :lol2:

Last edited:

Well, I'm working on Miss Hollie's availability now to see if she wants to play too.

I might be able to get the model I used out there for a bit of the day if there is any interest in that.

This sounds awesome.... but I will most likely be having a brand new baby 2 days later, so yeah, no way to make this one. :doh:

Sounds like a baby shoot opportunity!

Sounds like a baby shoot opportunity!

Just a week too early!

Poor baby is going to be wondering why her daddy has a camera permanently attached to his head. :mrgreen:

Off-topic question...... Is there a restriction on flash and newborns for some period of time? Seems harsh, lots of available window light!

One last maternity shoot!!!!

:mrgreen:

Good thought, but it ain't gonna happen.

Off-topic question...... Is there a restriction on flash and newborns for some period of time? Seems harsh, lots of available window light!

From what I read, a flash isn't going to hurt their eyes. If it was me, and it will be soon, I'd use as much window light as possible, and if needed, as little flash as I could get away with.

I would like to do this but need to check the dates with my schedule. I have a camera I need to learn how to use.

1. If we bring a SO for photo shots would they be another $20 or just a partial amount to cover lunch?

2. If we do not bring our bikes are there props or whatnot to use for photo shots, what type of props are there?

3. Are there backdrops?

Scott, if this helps drum up interest; I could make myself available to model. But just a fair warning, I charge extra for swimwear, and some other more risque shots. :eek2::giveup::lol2:

I would like to do this but need to check the dates with my schedule. I have a camera I need to learn how to use.

1. If we bring a SO for photo shots would they be another $20 or just a partial amount to cover lunch?

2. If we do not bring our bikes are there props or whatnot to use for photo shots, what type of props are there?

3. Are there backdrops?

Let's call it $10 for SO's to cover lunch....does that seem fair?

There are chairs, stools, a small ladder, some hats and masquerade masks for props...feel free to bring your own. I know I need to go get some costume stuff for the studio.

Yes, there at least three backdrops I can think off of the top of my head.

There is a bathroom and a dedicated changing room also.

Scott, if this helps drum up interest; I could make myself available to model. But just a fair warning, I charge extra for swimwear, and some other more risque shots. :eek2::giveup::lol2:

Bill...I want to people to show up...not run away screaming!!! :-P

Is there a fan to blow hair like wind?

Let's call it $10 for SO's to cover lunch....does that seem fair?

There are chairs, stools, a small ladder, some hats and masquerade masks for props...feel free to bring your own. I know I need to go get some costume stuff for the studio.

Yes, there at least three backdrops I can think off of the top of my head.

There is a bathroom and a dedicated changing room also.

:thumb:

Well, Miss Hollie ran off and found herself a boyfriend so she's out. :doh:

Kind of takes the fun out of it for me attending now.

Count me in; sounds like fun. The cosplay folks sound like interesting models. Let me know where?

Well, Miss Hollie ran off and found herself a boyfriend so she's out. :doh:

Kind of takes the fun out of it for me attending now.

Dude..you can still have fun hanging out and taking photos with us up here!!!

Back