• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Magnetic tank bag options and opinions?

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Bickers
Hi Folks,

My current tank bag is quite small and is not very easy to take off the bike when I go inside somewhere. So, I would like some opinions on magnetic tank bags that are removeable/detachable, preferrably like a backpack, that do not block the instrumentation. A clear map pocket in the top would be nice.

I would like to carry:
-> extra visor, tinted or clear, whichever I am not wearing
-> glasses/visor cleaner and a small cloth
-> extra earplugs
-> pressure gauge
-> small first aid kit (about the size of a paperback book)
-> bottle or two of water
-> keys, wallet, Treo cell phone

I like the Joe Rocket Velocity (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=55&L3=&L4=&item=SUL_459-2200) and the Frank Thomas Cargo Sport (http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=2&L2=55&L3=&L4=&item=FTL_CAR006). Any opinions/experiences with these? Are there any other models I may have missed? Thanks for your help and advice!

I just bought a magnetic tank bag at Lone Star in Austin, more like the Frank Thomas. The retail price was $65 and its a great little bag and comes with a carrying strap and rain cover. I'm sure most of these are very similar. Didn't want too large a bag on that tiny Bonnie tank.

Last Sunday I crammed some tools, camera, gps, suntan lotion bottle, t-shirt, cap, map, keys in that little bag. Was thinking, dang, I'm packing like my wife going on a trip. ;-)

I've only used it a few times, but I really like the magnetic. It rides just fine at speed, doesn't seem to be marking the tank. And the magnets are pretty strong, so no slipping around.

Nelson Rigg CL 350. Sounds like a Honda... http://www.extragear1.com/get_item_cl350_nelson-rigg-cl-350-large-magnetic-tank-bag.htm

texas_vfr said:
Hi Folks,

My current tank bag is quite small and is not very easy to take off the bike when I go inside somewhere. So, I would like some opinions on magnetic tank bags that are removeable/detachable, preferrably like a backpack, that do not block the instrumentation. A clear map pocket in the top would be nice.

I got it. Its a little scuffed and faded, but works fine. You can have it for a 6-pack of Shiner.

It's the bottom 1/2 of this one-
joerocket_sporttankbag.jpg

You can have the whole thing for a 6 pack and 10 bucks.

I have the Marsee 11-liter magnetic "Rocket Pocket" and I like it a lot. To take it off the bike, you simply unclick the little nylon buckle on the lanyard and lift it off the tank. The magnet flaps fold under the bag and are held in place by the magnets under the bag, which are opposite in polarity. Pretty smart. Then you can carry it either by the handle or a shoulder strap. The bottom is covered with a special rubberized fabric that does not scratch your tank. Be careful not to set one down in a pile of steel tailings, though!

It's fairly low, perhaps only 6" or 7" tall. But can expand the carrying capacity by unzipping a zipper around the perimeter. It pops up another 4"-5" when you do this. I have been told a six-pack of tall boys will fit in there along with all of your other stuff when it's expanded! As with all Marsee products, the quality is top-notch. It's even reflective!

It has a removeable clear map pocket on top as well.

I don't have a photo (too cheap to pay for a SmugMug account) but you can see a photo of one at www.marseeproducts.com. MSRP is $149 but paid $115 at Cycle Gear.

Last edited:
Search ebay's motorcycle parts for "tank bag". There's billions. I searched by brand, wanting an Oxford bag, as they convert to backpacks, have map pockets,also zip off the map pockets if that's all you need, and have built-in rain covers.

They're expensive new. I checked ebay for about three days and found one, sniped it for $45 delivered to my door. Less than half price. Only reason it was that expensive is it was sold through one of those "we'll sell your stuff" places, which I think really make their money on shipping and handling, which was $16.

The bag is new, unused.

Whatever brand you want will be on ebay....

I have the Frank Thomas and a VFR. It fits theVFR perfect, and is great quality. The magnets are some of the strongest I have seen in a tank bag.

Skid

I have had my Fieldsheer Eiffel for over a year. It has a magnetic base with map pocket. It has two different size tank bags that will zip to the magnetic base. Both tankbags have map pockets on top and hidden backpack straps. The large one will hold a twelve pack of tallboys with room to spare. When going on a long trip, zip the large tankbag to the magnetic base and zip the small one to the top of the large one for a humongus one. I am 6'-2" and when fully loaded it is about 2" below my chin. When it is loaded that full I do have to adjust it's position ocassionally. The magnets do not slip, but the tower will lean. Oh yeah it comes with a rain cover. All this for about $50. I bought mine from the motorcycle superstore.

Skid said:
I have the Frank Thomas and a VFR. It fits theVFR perfect, and is great quality. The magnets are some of the strongest I have seen in a tank bag.

Skid

That's good to hear about the quality and magnet strength. Can you see the instrumentation/gauges with the bag on the tank? How about storage? Does it hold a fair amount of stuff?

I have no problems reading the guages. If I move it too far forward I do tend to block my GPS, but even then it isn't in the way of the guages.

I taken a couple of weekend trips in just it before.
1 pair of jeans
2 pair of socks
1 underarmour shirt
1 cotton shirrt
1 clear visor
1 flashlight and spare batteries
deodorant
toothbrush.....

It took some creative packing but I did manage to make it all fit. Normally I just carry a visor, flashlight, earplugs, camera, gps (when not on the bike), hat, and the rain cover for the tank bag. I still have room left over.

Feel free to stop by for a test fitting if you like. I live at Barker Cypress and West Little York about 20 min from downtown Katy. PM me for the info.

Skid

That quicklock looks pretty nice, looks like a camera could mount to it nicely as well.

I use the Icon Urban
icon-urban-tankbag-red.jpg

And like it very much.. When lightly packed, it is low, and very out of the way. At a medium packing,, all is well....When packed to capacity is can interfere a bit with arm movement.... but not much..

radarscratch said:
You might look at this bag. It's not magnetic. It's the SW-MOTECH Daypack Quick-Lock Tankbag.[/URL]

Hey, that would work on my gas tank! (plastic tank). Thanks!

Back