• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

High Island to Sabine Pass and back. 1/11/14!

Reaction score
I've been on the ktm only a few times since I picked it up last summer....still need to get the lights working on it but that wouldnt stop me from getting out on the beach...

Anyone up for a trip in January to go from High Island to Sabine Pass? I'd likely just drive to the beach and ride from there....I once snapped a chain down there on the beach and am a little paranoid about getting stuck.

I'd like to start a thread to trip plan and see when others can go...Also, I have a 3 rail trailer and am in downtown Houston if someone wanted to ride with me.

And since it'll be chilly NO NUDISTS!

Meeting at 9:30 am in high island, tx at the beach access rd to the East once onto the beach at intersection of 124 and 87...we'll get rolling at 10am

Re: High Island to Sabine Pass and back.

"And since it'll be chilly NO NUDISTS!"

I was UP for it until that statement.:rofl:

"And since it'll be chilly NO NUDISTS!"

I was UP for it until that statement.:rofl:

lets me out too

OTHERWISE... PATIENCE loves that beach:rider:

sw

Attachments

• hwy 87 on beach.jpg
    hwy 87 on beach.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 268

In! TE 600cc's

Lets make sure we time it to maximize low tide. Gives you more sand to ride, keeps you away from all the gulf trash wash up hazards and makes the ride more fun.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

What would that one be like on a Versys for a guy who thinks a DR650 is a little dirt bike?

I've wanted to get down there and make that run, just haven't done it yet..

What would that one be like on a Versys for a guy who thinks a DR650 is a little dirt bike?

i rode it on a klr650, several years ago, w/o any problems

just depends on your skills in the deep sand

sw

If ride is all low tide then could be done. You would be riding mostly on yhe watet packed and water smoothed virgin sand. If high tide you would get pushed up into the rocks, broken up hwy asphalt and trash making it too much for an adventure bike. This assuming you have some decent tires on it. Street tires you wouldnt make it 50 ft in as some deep sand at High Island entry point. No riding allowed on the roads jeeps and trucks have made at sands edge. You'll get a hefty ticket riding there or on any vegatation. State Park rangers and othets do latrol there. I have been stopped multiple times and given my share of warnings. i.e. 15mph speed limit and entry/exit to Sea Crest State Park from the beach is not allowed and no park permit.

Just did this ride last Saturday. Happy to say no nudist! Only people seen from High Island to Sea Rim Park were duck hunters, all appeared clothed:clap: I rode the Beach from Bolivar all the way to Sea Rim, except for RolloverPass of course. Nice ride. but I would have to pass on the adventure bike.:eek2:

Wait. I'm confused. High Island to SP is only 20 something miles. Isn't that a very short trip?

more like more like 30 miles. then another 30 miles to get back. for me I ride a 170 miles round trip just to get to High Island start point. so that rounds out the day.
January 11 is tentatively a good date for me.

Been wanting to do that ride also, but will be starting at the Sabine Pass end. Glad to meet y'all at HI for my return trip to Sabine. Would just need a time to meet at HI. Kinda worried about that 15mph though, do they really enforce that aggressively? You are providing sunshine aren't you Landman?

... Kinda worried about that 15mph though, do they really enforce that aggressively? ...

Here we are a couple years ago, between Rollover and High Island keeping it just under 15 mph :rider:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWKEkr5keQQ"]15.5mph.[/ame]

We took a break :doh::eek2::nono: from about 40 seconds until after 10 minutes but started up again after that.

Never had a problem at all with enforcement from High Island to Sabine but watch out between Bolivar and Roll Over since it is much more populated and enforced.

Last edited:

Rode it on a old R100GS airhead the year before IKE and had a blast

Check tides - probably don't want to do it on high tide

Don't lean (or pee) on the electric fence:rofl:

Every time I'm there it looks and rides differently. There are some stretches now that you need a low tide to avoid the vegetation/trash mix and the black gumbo "cliffs" at the waters edge on normal tides. That said, It's a good ride, I will join in if things line up :rider:

I was going to say Im in till I saw that video :eek2:

Looks like Im off that weekend and Ill try to make it!! Ill be on my XRR

Landman where are you in Downtown? Im over off 45 and N.Main
If you've seen a XRR or 690SMC jacking around this area its me :rider:

I out for 11th, but will monitor for future endeauvours. The Dakar wants to play again.

Hey this isn't far for me. I live in Beach City. I will try an make it. Time to get the Dr650 dirty again.

Back