• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hot Legs!

Reaction score
First Name
Stuart
Last Name
Robles
After tossing around the FZ1 for 28K+ miles on the stock suspension, I decided it was time to freshen her up. Brought the bike into Andy at Metric Motorcycles here in Houston and had him go to town on it.

Upfront - Race Tech valves, custom wound Draco Springs.
Outback - Ohlins 46 PRCS shock fully adjustable.

Also added some Goodridge Steel Braided brake lines and some new brake shoes for good measure.

Andy set up the suspension for my weight and riding style (mostly street with some track time).

Picked the bike up last Thursday and promptly headed out for a three day ride in the Hill Country on Friday. After a 1000 mile weekend, all I can say is WOW!

The bike feels extremely planted to the road in all conditions, including the mid corner cattle guards on on 336. No more nasty front end dive under heavy braking either. An added measure of confidence in the twisty bits for sure. I've always been very confortable on the FZ, now even more so. I think I may be able to hang on to it for a bit longer.

Can't wait to give it another whirl around MSRH again! Heading up to AR to stretch her legs again this weekend.

Andy did a great job with the installation, set up and communication. Metric gets high marks for a job well done!:clap:

:tab I remember when I finally got around to doing the suspension on the VFR. I could not believe the difference! Like you say, it felt totally planted and connected to the road. It was very confidence inspiring. It was easily the best upgrade after replacing the stock seat, hehe.

:tab Where will you guys be staying in Ar?

We'll be based out of Mena, dodging the storm clouds on Saturday.:rider:

Well, I certainly hope it does not rain all weekend for you!

if you don't mind me asking, whats something like that run?? I'd love to do that to my VFR!

Enjoy the roads in AR! the Mena area is just covered in um!! :rider:

Figure about $1200 give or take a few hundred depending on what exactly you do. Talk to Andy at Metric or Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. Both know their stuff and will hook you up!

I just spent ~$1000 for an Ohlins shock and RaceTech springs/valves for my Triumph. That doesn't include labor since I'm installing it all myself.

Some people like to spend money on horsepower, but I've found that suspension upgrades will provide a lot more satisfaction.

actually thats not as bad as I was expecting

heck I spent more then that just getting it back on the road after the accident :doh:

My VFR's got more then enough HP to make me pucker up, so I'd rather make the suspension work even MORE out of my ability range :lol:

tx-vfr said:
if you don't mind me asking, whats something like that run?? I'd love to do that to my VFR!

Enjoy the roads in AR! the Mena area is just covered in um!! :rider:

It cost me around $1,500 for the suspension work, which also included a thorough cleaning of the forks, replacing the bushings, fork seals, suspension oil, new dust seal kit, labor and set up for my weight and riding style.

We had a great time in Mena! Most of Saturday was a wash but we did manage to get in about 150 miles late afternoon on some still wet roads.

Sunday morning was outstanding weather and riding! Headed up Talimena early morning ( a bit foggy) to the Lodge for breakfast. Then headed north to Magazine Mountain to some really nice roads and views!

Though I still prefer the roads in northern AR and southern MO, there is some excellent riding northeast of Mena.:rider:

Thermalser said:
Sunday morning was outstanding weather and riding! Headed up Talimena early morning ( a bit foggy) to the Lodge for breakfast. Then headed north to Magazine Mountain to some really nice roads and views!

Though I still prefer the roads in northern AR and southern MO, there is some excellent riding northeast of Mena.:rider:
Better, more scenic vistas to the south or twistier roads to the north. Ideally, a trip up there should take in both. :thumb:

BTW, I'm this -><- close to pulling the trigger on a suspension make-over on my bike. Your testimony makes it that much harder to resist doing so.

Me too the FJR needs the upgrade before next summers adventure!!!!! I hate parting with the bucks but I am sure the outcome will be worthwhile.

Back