• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Go Pro or an alternative.

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
I have a trip coming up soon with some friends and I am interested in taking pictures and movies on the go. I know that the Go Pro is real popular but I would like something more streamlined that attaches to my helmet. Any recommendations?

Looks like Contour is back in business again! The webpage no longer says 'we are on our way back.' I managed to pick up a ROAM for $100 new a couple of years back. Should be possible still!

The wife of a co-worker / friend / semi new rider asked me before Christmas for a suggestion on a camera for her husband.

I did some research and based on a lot of reviews along with the suggestion of TWT's own Weljo2001 I told her to look at the Drift HD 1080.

A lot of nice features. Rotatable lens so you camera doesn't have to be square of level, remote on/off you can wear on your wrist (so all your videos don't start with you looking in the mirror to make sure the camera is on), an app for your smart phone so you can control the camera or just watch in real time, color screen on the camera itself, along with some others I can't remember off-hand.

This is the drift with all the bells and whistles. I found the camera on Amazon for about $300 but she found it on Ebay for $250.

My co-worker got the Drift for Christmas and just raves about it and how much he likes it. :chug:

I have a Contour 2 that I like a lot but if I were in the market today for a new camera I think I would go with the Drift.

I just saw that Amazon has this for $199, down $100 from Christmas time.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Definition-Helmet-Action-Camera/dp/B005H2RDK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389633003&sr=8-1&keywords=drift+hd+1080p"]Amazon.com: Drift HD Full 1080p High Definition Helmet Action Camera Kit: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Last edited:
...I would like something more streamlined that attaches to my helmet. Any recommendations?

My thinking exactly. I just found this a month ago, Polaroid XS100. Received notification of them shipping to me just this morning so I should have it next week and a review of it by the weekend if you can wait.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91338&highlight=polaroid+video

They're currently selling for ~$140 on Ebay and ~$160 at Walmart and other local places. Parts and accessories readily available and priced cheap also.

_

just used my GoPro(latest edition?) and it worked awesome, not sure why contour matters but you can mount on the side of your helmet too. millions of people use this product.

In I've been very happy with the Sony ActionCam HDR-AS15. It has a great image, both day and night, and is affordable. Mounting is a bit of a pain as is using external microphones while it's in the weather proof case.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha19xA0T6DI"]Night Bicycle Ride: Downtown San Antonio Texas - YouTube[/ame]

If I had money to burn, I'd likely get a Drift Ghost-S. For motorcycling, o think it's the right combo of features and quality.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hard to pass up a good deal. Just got a call from a friend who manages a pawn shop. Has GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition he will sell me for $150.00.
I will try the Ram Mount on the handlebars.

Last edited:
I mount my Hero 3 Black at the very base of the windshield on the Goldwing, no vibration there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have GoPro, for the money your not going to get a better setup that is more versatile than a GoPro. There a many different mounts and attachments that you can get for them not to mention the tech support if any thing goes wrong with them. Also GoPro has free video editing software that you can down load to your desktop free. There is also the wifi remote or I use my iPhone to use as a monitor and playback. The helmet mount setup does not catch wind like everyone would think. You don't even notice it. You can't go wrong with GoPro.
Check out the Hero 3 Black Edition or the 3+ Black. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be giving mine a try this weekend. The deal I was getting on the Black turned out not so well. So I bought a Silver3+ model.

The Adixxion, a GoPro alternative from JVC, looks to be reasonably priced, feature-rich and has plenty of accessories included and available.

5923042_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500
  • 5 MP,
  • Quadproof (Water 5 meters, Shock 2 meters, Dust, Freeze proof, no extra case required),
  • 2 standard 1/4-20 camera mounts (std camera accessories work),
  • LCD color screen,
  • WiFi

The JVC site indicates there is also a newer version with 8 MP resolution.

BestBuy reviews look favorable.

Anyone seen this critter in action?

Had a GoPro hated it i've had 5 Drift Cameras 3 Stealth HD170's and 2 Drift Ghost. The Drift are so much more user friendly and the rotating lens helps a lot. Amazon has the regular Ghost for $299.00 now since the Ghost-S came out. I have one mounted to my helmet with a mic set-up.With the remote control its easy peasy....

No one mentioned the Liquid Image Torque???? it is a camera mounted in the goggles. Stills on demand, a still every 2 seconds 1080 Vid or 720 Vid. I road with a buddy with the Go-Pro... the video was the same, only I didn't have anything hanging off my helmet.

Had a GoPro hated it i've had 5 Drift Cameras 3 Stealth HD170's and 2 Drift Ghost. The Drift are so much more user friendly and the rotating lens helps a lot. Amazon has the regular Ghost for $299.00 now since the Ghost-S came out. I have one mounted to my helmet with a mic set-up.With the remote control its easy peasy....

The Ghost S has been on my wish list since I first saw the night footage. All the benefits of my Sony in a better designed housing with a rotatable lens.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

they r the same camera. The silver does not come with wifi remote

James

I will be giving mine a try this weekend. The deal I was getting on the Black turned out not so well. So I bought a Silver3+ model.
Not quite. The 3 Silver is essentially a 2 in the new form factor. The White, is the original HD with the new lens.
Still excellent cameras, but they're not the same as the Black.

I'm with you, GoPro is a great marketing company but their actual camera while it has great IQ leaves a lot to be desired. Their color rendering is the worst, and the UI sucks. I absolutely hated mine and when I got a Contour Roam, have never used it since.

I really like the Ghost-S, lot of cool features, I especially like the Tag feature. Wasn't really thinking of getting another cam but after looking into the Ghost I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Back