• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Route planning for Hico

BILL N

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good group heading to Hico from Austin. Anyone putting together a route?

With a starting temp of 29 degrees, I suspect a direct route up will be my preference. The ride home might be another story.

Howz 'bout the old favorite of leaving from the Hwy183/Hwy29 Exxon and going straight up 183/281? KSU at 9:00?

I'm thinking of a less direct back route back with a bit of zigzagging on some county roads crossing the Leon River above Levita.

Last edited:
I plan on being there, what would January be without a cold start to a Hico run, at least it will warm up as the day goes on this time....watch out for the black ice on the edges of the roads in the am everyone....

I plan on being there, what would January be without a cold start to a Hico run, at least it will warm up as the day goes on this time....watch out for the black ice on the edges of the roads in the am everyone....

Will the bridges be safe getting there in the morning? Like 183, or MOPAC? Sure warmed up today to melt it, but I wonder if it will freeze again. THAT's why I can't commit 100%..... Fall-Down-Go-Boom-No-Fun for me.

Most of the roads dried out today, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Will the bridges be safe getting there in the morning? Like 183, or MOPAC? Sure warmed up today to melt it, but I wonder if it will freeze again. THAT's why I can't commit 100%..... Fall-Down-Go-Boom-No-Fun for me.

No pain no gain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I sent some of my "paved goatpaths" to Slim in case he wants ta use em on the way back after PIE. I'll have a group headn out afterwards too. Not sure whichaway yet...see who all shows n goes

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Thawt I posted here but apparently forgot to hit send or something.

Leaving from Elgin I'll be heading up a different way, will see y'all there. 3 hours for me so out by 8am - weather.com says it'll be 36 at that time (currently 29 just after midnight, feels like 25).

Scott, as far as I could see today the lanes have dried out completely. There is still some moisture on the shoulders in some places.

[edit] Still debating on which bike to ride.

Last edited:
I couldn't get up having worked last night. Have fun, ride safe.

Last edited:
Yep... Thanks Greg and Rusty for the leading duties. Enjoyable day for spending time with friends.

43 degree teperature spread today. I started in my artic gear setup and ended in a mesh jacket without the liner :loco:

Another successful and filling Pie Run. I ended up with 318miles and two U-turns. Got home at 4:45. Really enjoyed it you guys.

High Vizards (l-r): sodapop, BILL N, Kurt, M38A1, WoodButcher
picture.php

I guess I'm the dullard of the group in my old school Stich in non-day glow yellow. :mrgreen:

Back