• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Does Fuji have the right idea regarding Retro Cameras?

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Does Fujifilm have the right idea regarding Retro Cameras, controls, etc?

http://photorumors.com/2014/01/22/new-fujifilm-x-t1-images/#more-53468

Fujifilm-X-T1-camera-top1.jpg

If the Nikon Df had this control layout, would it have been better received?

Do digital photographers want the Retro look?

In a heartbeat. I went to the camera shop yesterday and put my hands on the DF, and there is no way you will ever catch me with one. Granted, I am a function over form kind of guy and the DF is 100% form over function.

I looked at a Df at Ft Worth Camera a few weeks ago. I like it and I like where Nikon is going, but even if I could afford a Df, I don't think I would buy it. This Fuji seems well laid out; simple, few buttons and wheels where you want it.

My hope is that Nikon will still come out with a Retro style camera that is better laid out. That could be my first FX body I can use with all my Ai/Ai-s lenses I have been collecting.

I'm kind of in Bills camp on this one.

To me, the camera is a tool so I personally don't get wrapped up in the retro style or looks of it. If it's a true retro camera with all the features of a certain consumer or pro-level DSLR, then I'd look at it but only from the cost perspective of functionality.

I'm comfortable with the body I have at the moment as long as I don't think about it too much. That D4 would most certainly meet my requirements in three distinct areas where my D700 lacks. But the Df won't make the starting gate for me for a variety of reasons.

The Fuji also won't make the starting gate as I'm too heavily invested in glass/accessories to switch camps regardless of what they might offer.

Fuji has really ramped up the mirrorless camera war. I don't care if the cam looks retro so long as the functionality is there. I really like the configuration giving you knobs to be able to get the settings you want without having to look at the display and run through a bunch of menu's. It appears to be well thought out. I look at it s a more functional look rather then a retro look.

Fuji has really ramped up the mirrorless camera war. I don't care if the cam looks retro so long as the functionality is there. I really like the configuration giving you knobs to be able to get the settings you want without having to look at the display and run through a bunch of menu's. It appears to be well thought out. I look at it s a more functional look rather then a retro look.

I am with you. I have a Fuji Bridge camera and their layout is pretty functional so much so that I bought another one with plans to sell the DSLR.
Mirror less is a big deal now (mine aren't) but many pros are using them with tremendous results.

Back