• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TransAmerica Trail now LA to NY option

Reaction score
News: The Trans America Trail has been updated from its original route to include options from LA and New York

TAT+2014.880+FInal.jpg

How cool is that?

Ok so who wants to ride the route this summer? Or have you just been dreaming about riding. The info to ride this route is "Open Source" meaning you can just go to the Trans America Webpage and get the info for free. You can just download it and ride it however you like or modify it, what the heck? It also means that many people have contributed to making these new route extensions happen. So cool and thanks to everyone that loves the ride. The original trail has also been revised and includes high resolution gps files that will tell you at anytime if you are more then a few feet off the trail. That means only the riding is left. No worries right?

OK so what are you waiting for: Everytime we say no to a ride that is one less ride in life.

Nice. Now, it needs spurs going from north to south!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WOW! :rider: I do plan to ride this one day. I've been collecting bits and pieces of info for a couple of years as part of the planning. Thanks a bunch.

Thanks Kevin for ALL the GPS stuff & help you do.

I'd love to know how you create the embedded map with route?

PB

edit: thanks for adding the GPX files in addition to the embedded map.

Last edited:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I agree, I would so love to help contribute to more great route, make some route suggestion and I will help build them into more great spurs for the TAT. We need more ride leaders and more open shareing! gpsKevin

A Mexico to Canada route already exists, as well as the CDT and also lesser known Forever West route. Plenty of options for long haul dirt roaders.

_

How many days does it take to ride from Oklama to the Oregon coast and back ?

We (my wife, 2 friends and myself) rode OK to OR last year and it took us 2.5 weeks covering around 200 miles a day (that's quite a lot when it's all dirt!!). If you can skip Nevada I would suggest doing so, it was just dusty scrub and boring as ****, the rest was fantastic, we really liked Colorado & Utah.

So if you want to ride the TAT in both directions, OK to OR to OK then count 5 weeks, if you are okay to ride the super slab back (Freeway) then probably 3 weeks to make the round trip, but the return will be boring and saddle sore. You could do like us, we rented a U-haul truck one way, hauled the bikes to OK and then rode them back home via the TAT to Oregon and then freeway back to Seattle!! We where 4 people, so a U-haul one way split between 4 meant not much cost and we all took turns driving so we got from Seattle to OK in just 2 days..

Gary

I'm having to go to a wedding the weekend after July 4th in South Fork, CO.... This has me thinking about riding at least that portion to SF, CO.

Do it, Colorado is the most amazing place and the TAT takes you over some lovely passes, just watch out for traffic, we met more people on the dirt roads (in gas golf buggies and alike) than we did on the real roads!! These trails are very popular in Colorado!! When we reached the summit of Engineers pass, there were 8 other vehicles there plus our 4 bikes!! :)

Gary

Last edited:
I would really like to do a TAT ride. I rode the western half of the Arkansas TAT section about 4 years ago and loved it. Since then I've been wanting to put together the full out west journey. It represents a fairly significant investment of both time and money, so I haven't quite made it yet. Need to get on the case soon before I get too old to ride that many back to back days, & sleep in the dirt. Having the option to end up in L A might also be appealing. Wonder if I could travel from L A, back to TX on amtrack with a bike? Then again I would probably end up seeing such tempting riding spots. Might want to jump ship and ride my way back across the desert.

Back