• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

100/100/100/100 ride

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Zuniga
Here's the deal:

1. The ride takes place on the 100th day of the year (April 10th this year, a Thursday)

2. Age of rider plus bike must equal 100.

3. You must top the ton (100) at least once during the ride

4. You must ride at least 100 miles.

All fairly easy if you own a classic bike. Plenty of time to prep the bike if it needs work or has been sitting (it happens).

It is on a weekday, so if you work, you'd have to do the ride in the evening (not too hard).

There was a lot of discussion about variations to achieve the 100, such as 50 miles on the way to work then 50 miles on the way back home, or taking a pillion so that your ages would add up to 100, etc.

Whatever, it's just an idea.

There were a bunch of folks on various forums that did the ride last year and reported back with pix; that's part of the idea.

Riding the TON refers to going over 100 mph on an antique motorcycle. It may not sound like much these days, but on a parallel twin with drum brakes and a sometimes dodgy electrical system it can be quite a trip. From time to time it's referred to the "Ton Up" club.

http://www.tonup.com/

Is TON an accronym, abbreviation or just limey speak? Never heard of it before.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Just an affectionate term for going faster than 100 (on ANY bike).

Are you kidding? There are plenty of early 60s models that can make the trip.

doing the ton or ton up and various other variations is a British rocker term from the 60's.
today people putter along on their cruisers from bar to bar, in the 60's "rockers" (they listened to rock) would race from café to café on their modified bikes (café racers!) and doing a 100mph or more was the goal.

the term "ton" is old Cockney slang for 100 pounds sterling money.

I would have to have a bike from 1963 or older that can carry me 100+....does it exist:ponder:

if the cliff is tall enough it is possible. :lol2: or a rocket motor strapped to your back.

we are not old enough to do this, I would have to have a bike made in 1961 and it would have to be quite modified to be able to do 100mph with me on it.

The old bikes get a lot of ragging these days, but they were more than capable. My first ton was on a Triumph TR6R on Vickery in Fort Worth in 1978. I don't think that I ever got the Mach III going that fast. Any well prepped Bonnie, Commando or Lightning should be able to push hard on the ton.

I've caught some flak for the "ton" part of this deal; really, it's all about getting the old bikes out for a ride, not so much about the rider's age, or the speeds, etc...

If you're not having fun, what's the point?

I've caught some flak for the "ton" part of this deal; really, it's all about getting the old bikes out for a ride, not so much about the rider's age, or the speeds, etc...

If you're not having fun, what's the point?

Some have no sense of adventure...I think the whole concept is very cool...Wished I owned a bike old enough to do this:chug:

I can understand the negative viewpoint that I'm encouraging people to break the law; it's valid.

Just a bit odd that it mentions the "accuracy of the restoration" when it's an obvious custom (Honda rear brake, just to start). I would have focused on the unique features and detail work. It's a nice bike and the starting bid is reasonable for what it is. If it runs as good as it looks, it's worth the money, for sure.

I guess I can ride the 71 Tiger. Me and the bike together is 101 year.
Not sure if I can hit the Ton on Her.....WTH! I can TRY!:rider:

Looks like Grandpaul has already clarified the TON and speed limit. The admins have also gotten some comments. Just as a disclaimer, this is not a TWT sponsored event and TWT is in no way encouraging anybody to exceed the speed limit. That being said, this is not the first time exceeding the speed limit has ever come up on the site and we don't intend to censor discussions about it.

As Paul has said, it is mainly about getting out and riding an old bike and having fun. If you want to go fast and not exceed the limit then come on over to Austin and ride the southern part of Toll 130 at the posted 85mph. Should still be fun on an old bike.

DEFINITELY, this is not a TWT sanctioned, or affiliated ride.

Truth be told, the few times I've 'done the ton' in the last few years it was out on wide open stretches of I-35 and only for a few seconds. No way in heck I need THAT ticket.

And furthermore, I was unable to even attempt the ride last year due to most of my bikes being involuntarily mothballed because of work & family commitments. I fully intend to get out my '66 and '67 Bonnies, clean the carbs, change the oil and take the one that's running the best at the time. I suppose I'd do better with the '70 Bonnie, but it would just return to the mothballs due to unfinished refurb work I've got scheduled for it; the '66 & '67 are both in a position to get some regular riding in.

(gotta love TR130)

"the Admins have gotten some comments". Really?

GrandPaul, You , Sir, are a bad influence!:eek2:

Man. Bike is only 3 months old.
I think I just might do age of rider, plus age of bike, plus speed somewhat over the 'ton' equals 200. Would that count for 2 of the 100's?

If I still had that '74 Honda CL450, and a long steep hill???

I can't hit the ton. The other 3 I did a couple of months ago when we took the 71 SL350 to Talimena. No chance I can hit 85 much less 100.

Doing 100 mile day on vintage is a good day anyway.

Last edited:
By the way, I just scored that split-open set of SL350 mufflers & pipes on e-bay. Not bad for $140.

Back