• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dirt Bike Friendly Inspection Stations

RollingJ

You can be a 0 or a
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sims
Dirt bike friendly inspection stations are those places where it's possible to pass an inspection with a plated dirt bike, preferably without an argument or the need to bust out a copy of the vehicle code.

However, if you need to teach them a thing or two:
Just because an inspector told you that doesn't make it true. They are often ignorant to the motorcycle specific requirements.

Here is the link. Click on "Motorcycle" to view the required items of inspection. Then click on the drop down list of each inspection item for the criteria.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

Read, understand, comply and have a printed copy in hand when your State Inspector tries to tell you otherwise.

I will start out with the first great location:

Jiffy Lube
722 Hwy 71 W, Bastrop, TX 78602
(512) 321-2406
All the techs are knowledgeable (or at least will pass you) but ask for Ron.

Kwik Kar Lube & Tune
8810 Garland Road
Dallas, TX 75218
(214) 319-8989

Did both the RS & the DR recently, took all of 2 minutes per bike. Nice guys too, one of the tech's Grandpa used to own the very cool Catalina Cycles in Deep Ellum before Deep Ellum was Deep Ellum.

We can do it, no problems.

Firestone
2930 Eldorado
McKinney tx
972-529-2875

Great topic, RollinJ. I had static getting Tdub inspected with a Trak Master on the front. Even though it is a DOT approved tire, it doesn't look it, and that particular size is intended for the rear. I think the tech was bucking for a payoff.

Dirt bike friendly inspection stations are those places where it's possible to pass an inspection with a plated dirt bike, preferably without an argument or the need to bust out a copy of the vehicle code.

However, if you need to teach them a thing or two:

I will start out with the first great location:

Jiffy Lube
722 Hwy 71 W, Bastrop, TX 78602
(512) 321-2406
All the techs are knowledgeable (or at least will pass you) but ask for Ron.

This is where I get my bikes inspected, including the KDX weedwhacker.

I've taken by bikes to these two places and have never had a problem passing an inspection.

Alan’s Vehicle Inspections
3717 Ranch Road 620 N, Austin, TX 78734
(512) 266-2921

Jiffy Lube Service Center
1601 Ranch Road 620 S, Lakeway, TX 78734
(512) 263-5589

I had an inspector try to give me crap one time because my bike was in the back of my truck. He said he couldn't do it until I unloaded the bike. I told him that was ridiculous, it's not like your going to take it for a ride!! He was all of about 5'6", and 140 soaking wet, bike XR650L. He ended up doing the inspection where the bike was.

Rogers Custom Automotive
Address: 408 NW 2nd St, Smithville, TX 78957
Phone: (512) 360-4708

These guys have a dirt riding/racing family background and are always fast for my inspections.

I had an inspector try to give me crap one time because my bike was in the back of my truck. He said he couldn't do it until I unloaded the bike. I told him that was ridiculous, it's not like your going to take it for a ride!!

In Dallas you have to do a moving brake test.

Once at Jiffy Lube in Bastrop, I was asked to do the stopping test. They had marked off some yellow paint lines on the pavement and asked me to run about 20mph and hit the brakes. I did a little stoppie. I've been back many times since then, 4 bikes, and not asked again.

In Dallas you have to do a moving brake test.

This is a mandatory req't but not always adhered to. You can operate the bike or the inspector can if they have m/c endorsement.

Bike in back of a pickup should not have been given a sticker.

-

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I've taken by bikes to these two places and have never had a problem passing an inspection.

Alan’s Vehicle Inspections
3717 Ranch Road 620 N, Austin, TX 78734
(512) 266-2921

Jiffy Lube Service Center
1601 Ranch Road 620 S, Lakeway, TX 78734
(512) 263-5589

Alan's original location at 5253 N.LAMAR, AUSTIN, TX. 78751 is apparently still in business too...bike friendly...

Zabor's did first inspection after my bike's resurrection a few years back, on a trailer, no problem.

Move to Oklahoma, no inspections:clap:

I was in Round Rock last summer selling a bike for a friend. Went to a Chevron one exit north of RM620 on I35. Guy was real friendly and knew what they were doing. Quick and simple, in and out in less than 30 minutes in a fairly long line.

If you're south of Houston, check out Turner's Vehicle Inspection in League City:

3001 W Fm 646 Rd
League City, TX 77573
(281) 534-3232

He does all of my vehicles and is savvy to what's required for motorcycle inspections. I turned on the blinker of my XR650L and he told me motorcycles aren't required to have blinkers in Texas. Also, his stop test is for you to ride into the inspection bay and stop.

Before find Turner's, I had a friend that worked at a local shop and all I had to do was pay the money; he'd replace the sticker without checking anything. Wish he hadn't got out of the motorcycle business.

Cinco Car Care in Katy TX was very prompt in inspecting my DRZ 400

Valley View Car Care
2931 Valley View Lane, Farmers Branch, TX 75234

I take em in on the trailer and never even unload. That is when I go to the trouble of getting one of my bikes inspected?

I live central ATX, so all my plated bikes get inspected here:

Burnet Road Vehicle Inspection
6515 Burnet Rd
Austin, TX 78757

http://www.inspectionterry.com/

FYI:
Every converted pure dirt bikes I've plated were
inspected there w/ green sheets provided.
....:trust::trust::trust:....

Back