• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Quick ride report

scratch

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Massie
This is really more of an image test than anything, so let's see if this stuff works like it's supposed to -

Got up to Huntsville late on Saturday afternoon and cooked up a pot of chicken and dumplings for the Friday family. Turned out pretty good, if I say so myself! :-) We stayed up to the wee hours watching movies, talking philosophy, doing tequila shots, etc., etc., zzzzzzz....

After Saturday's dreary conditions, Sunday morning looked marvelous - clear skies and cool temps promising to warm up by the afternoon. While waiting for Scott to stir, I decided to try out my new camera. Here's the very first subject that caught my eye: Abby. This is one of those cats who's figured out that just about any door can be opened if you simply stand in front of it and stare long enough. She's got her humans trained pretty well it seems. ;-)

Next, I just had to get a pic of my bike in the brilliant sunlight .

We finally got on the road a little before 2:00 in the afternoon and took the scenic route out to FM 3090. This presented an opportunity to get a rare image of Scott in action. I'll have to work on using the zoom next time.

Heading back towards Montgomery, Scott spied a BMW touring bike pulled over and decided to stop and chat up the rider. After doing the meet-and-greet thing for a few minutes we all headed over to King's Cafe to take a break. The BMW pilot turned out to be a really nice guy (Wes) who's just gotten back into riding after a few years out of the sport. Wes invited us over to his home on Lake Conroe, so we saddled up and hit the road again. We hung out there for a while, getting to meet Wes' lovely wife, Sunny (hope I spelled your name properly). It was getting late by this time, so we said our good-byes and hit the road again for the return trip to Huntsville.

Passing back over the causeway on Lake Conroe, Scott motioned me to pull over so that I could take a few photos in the late afternoon sunlight. Here's an image of Beth‘s beautiful blue VFR (remember - it's for sale! :-D ) then another picture of my Triumph. Finally, an image of the sun setting over Lake Conroe.

Nothing spectacular, just a nice afternoon running around on the bikes. 8-)

Howdy,

:tab Paul, don't forget that you can crop first, then resize to a smaller picture second. So for the pic of me, you could zoom in on the original, crop it and then do a final resize to get it where you want it. This is effectively doing a manual digital zoom. Then when you resize it, you are not reducing the actual size of the cropped portion as much and you should get a better quality image. Of course I seldom do this because I am incredibly lazy and don't feel like taking the time to make every image perfect :-P I just do a batch resize and let it go at that. :sleep:

:tab I sure do like that sunset shot. Would make a great desktop background. Oh, and I'd be more than happy to keep zinging through that corner on FM 3090 while you work on your camera skills :mrgreen:

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab Paul, don't forget that you can crop first, then resize to a smaller picture second. So for the pic of me, you could zoom in on the original, crop it and then do a final resize to get it where you want it...

Actually, that's cropped just about the way I wanted it. Enough background shows so that the viewer gets a feel for the contours of the road and the surrounding countryside - the guy on the bike is incidental. :-P ;-)

Honestly, not having used the optical zoom for that shot, the image quality suffers when you blow it up much more than that. A 3 megapixel camera does have it's limitations. :-|

BTW, I'd be happy to send you the hi-res image of the sunset. 8-)

Scratch~Looks like the camera is working out well. The pictures of the bikes turned out great as well as the sunset. I'll have to check it out in person. Too bad I was out of town -- I missed out on your cooking. :-(

Thanks, Deb! I've been playing around with the camera some more and it seems that I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. 8-)

Considering the rare snow-fall that you got to enjoy at your parent's house, you didn't really miss out on all that much. Anyway, better things are yet to come both in pictures and cooking. ;-)

Back