• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gravel Guy's son has his first bike, a 1978 CT90!

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
We had a fantastic day at Rod's TWT swap meet at Ricks shop in Belton! Sold a little stuff, and bought some stuff....and then my Father made a deal with Rick M and bought the yellow CT90 for Mason! He was SO excited.....as was Mason.
First off, thanks to Rick and Rod for making this happen. And I will document the fixing up of the CT90 here. Any and ALL comments or advice is welcome!

Here is the first shot of the boy and his new bike! :sun:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 325
That is great!
Congratulations to Mason.
So it was him the one that wanted to ride in the back of the truck?

I bet he is excited.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

We had a fantastic day at Rod's TWT swap meet at Ricks shop in Belton! Sold a little stuff, and bought some stuff....and then my Father made a deal with Rick M and bought the yellow CT90 for Mason! He was SO excited.....as was Mason.
First off, thanks to Rick and Rod for making this happen. And I will document the fixing up of the CT90 here. Any and ALL comments or advice is welcome!

How cool is that! :clap: Congrats Mason. :rider:

That is so cool. Congrats Mason!

Those bikes are what a lot of folks started on.

Looking forward to the updates.

MotorcycleBelle says that's Ducati yellow.

Alright Mason way to go. Soon you will be riding beside dad to all the events.:eat:

SL350 knows everything about these GG. He has a build up in here about his. KP

Congratulations Mason!
Great bike. :thumb:
edit: and a Great grandpa too!

Last edited:
That is a good way to start Mason. I had many a fun mile on one of those. It belonged to a friends dad and we rode it all over the place.

I convinced my Granpaw to put one on the RV so I would have something to ride when I went on vacation with them. Dad and I figured it was a better bet that taking my CR125 for campground duty

He will get many a fun mile out of it

Very popular bikes growing up. I remember seeing US National Park rangers using them in the 70s on the tow path in the C and O Canal National Park.

Mason and I have been talking about the different systems that make up a motorcycle, and ordering parts that I knew we would need........a broken brake lever, a new battery, etc.......and tonight we replaced the brake lever and lubricated the cable, and taught the boy about the difference in wrenches, sizes, when to use a socket wrench and basic tool and trouble light safety.
We pulled apart the air filter housing....and I am sure glad that I didn't just try to "throw a little gas in her and crank it over!"...,.because the filter has degraded to the point that it turns to dust upon being touched.....and so we move forward and learn together! ;-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 232
Congrats on the ct90! I have two and have ridden them for many years now.

Let me know if I can help. Most wear parts are available online from Beatrice (DrAtv) in Nebraska. Wish we could get a bunch of cts out for a trail ride.

Check to see if it is still using the old rectifier design. There is an upgrade to a Radio Shack rectifier that really helps the battery charge and the lights get bright. The old 6v electrics need all the help they can get. It would be my first upgrade.

I have changed out the steering stem to tapered bearings, added a sidestand, installed extra long HD shocks, the rectifier upgrade, electronic flashers and LED signal and stop lights. Lots of other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Back