• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tool Chest Question

What do you want to use the roll a way for?
Professional trade use daily?
Home use 4 or so days a week
Home use more storage then constant use?

Other?

I bought a really nice stainless steel tool chest a few years back at Costco. Much nicer than the old Craftsman it replaced. I have many Craftsman tools, and a workbench, but the tool chest from Costco was just too good to pass up.

Shop around. There are many options out there.

I have 3 Sears top and bottom that I bought in the 70's. They are still in good condition. They were used almost daily, but i do try to take care of my stuff. Lol

I would not spend 2k on chests unless it would have heavy use every day. Jmho

Look for used and save.

I Just noticed, though on a Sears site.. those are NOT craftsman tool chests.. They are a Brand called "International" what ever that is.

Go to Harbor Freight, and look at their US General boxes. My Dad has them for all of his farm and tractor tools, and they work great. They have held up to an amazing amount of abuse.

I just bought a Craftsman 52" tool cabinet for less than $1000 on sale. My requirements were ball bearing drawer glides, grip latches and decent casters.

A5072B31-BF19-4D44-BF4F-C3BAC7731669-211-0000004F916F3B3D_zps3a8ccb68.jpg

I'm not the tool snob I used to be when I earned my living with them, so the stainless BB Kobalt boxes at Lowes are looking pretty good to me.

I'm not the tool snob I used to be when I earned my living with them, so the stainless BB Kobalt boxes at Lowes are looking pretty good to me.

the Kobalt box is made by the same people who make MAC tool boxes, I have a Kobalt top box with the built in pioneer stereo and it rocks quite well and has served me very well.

I have a harbor freight US General box in my mobile truck and it has held up very well riding around in the back of a box truck.

This is the one I meant to link.

Then there is this one.
Will be used primarily for storage and light use until my son is old enough to come outside and help me. I looked at the boxes at Lowes and Home Depot, but felt that they seemed of lesser grade construction, and would like to have this for a while. I do not need a radio built in as I have surround sound in the garage. I would like the box to look nice as they will be placed prominently next to the beer fridge.

I will go to Harbor freight next week.

This is the one I meant to link.

Then there is this one.
Will be used primarily for storage and light use until my son is old enough to come outside and help me. I looked at the boxes at Lowes and Home Depot, but felt that they seemed of lesser grade construction, and would like to have this for a while. I do not need a radio built in as I have surround sound in the garage. I would like the box to look nice as they will be placed prominently next to the beer fridge.

I will go to Harbor freight next week.

Harbor freight makes a big roller that is around $400 with tax. Sears has some good sales also every week. Here is my suggestion buy a used one on craigslist.

My experience with Lowe's Kobalt wasn't so good. The top box I got a few years ago looks sturdy enough, but the slide bearing holders cracked apart so the drawers just drag on what's left. The tiny ball bearings were held in place with plastic retainers that turned out to be too brittle. Maybe the newest boxes have better materials in them and that's why the one I got was on clearance.

The old Craftsman rollaway just keeps working, but there's nothing fancy about it. Occasionally I spray the slides with the Dupont Teflon lube and it makes them easier to work.

Ahh, ok better link

And yes something I have some experiences with now..

Im a tool snob mostly... but I own a lot of craftsman as well..

My 42" roll away and top box are the Stainless Steel Craftsman Pro , my old roll away and top box are the standard Red Craftsman 30" both ball bearing slides.

The Red ones have been abused since 1997. They have been strapped down in the back of a truck wheeling, in the rain, in the toy hauler before I got a tool cart just for that... bounced across the country from Alaska to Oregon to Texas ....still going strong.

Last edited:
I am still kicking myself for letting my mom sell my father's 6' tall by 6' wide tool box full of tools. My father was a life-long professional mechanic and bought tools right the first time.... Sadly, I was in a tiny apartment.....

I can understand some people's notion of cheap or it had better have whatever. I feel the same about some things. I am slowly working my way to the garage I have always wanted so I figured I would ask for opinions regarding the quality of tool boxes. I almost bought the cheap Home Depot box, but then started looking at it and realized that I would have to replace it in a few years.

I also looked into the built-in wall storage/work bench/desk..... But we may move out to Pearland where I can build a proper shop and would have to start over.

I'm a believer in the Craftsman Professional Series boxes. Less than half the price of the tool truck brands with 90% of the functionality. They have the nice ball bearing glides and the heavy frame construction. I also like the Grip-Latch system to prevent this:

DSCN0937.jpg

I don't have the space or funds for the nice 40" chests but I did just score this middle section for $30. (Total $260)
taha9yqu.jpg

Back