• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas Motorcycle Inspection

Reaction score
I just put a new licence tag on my scoot and noticed that my state inspection was long over due. Am I the only one that has been running with an expired inspection? As I understand the law is that an expired inspection sticker is not a moving violation, am I correct? If so, I may not worry about getting the inspection.:giveup:

I just put a new licence tag on my scoot and noticed that my state inspection was long over due. Am I the only one that has been running with an expired inspection? As I understand the law is that an expired inspection sticker is not a moving violation, am I correct? If so, I may not worry about getting the inspection.:giveup:

Normally cheaper to get it inspected than pay a fine. Will she pass? If so I would take it down and have it done. It is a nice day to ride for sure.:rider: KP

My scoot will have no problem passing an inspection. I was just curious if others get their inspections done when due.

On my BMW that is on the road a lot, yes. On my DR650 that isn't ridden much...I'm six months late. Happens on that one a lot, but mainly because I don't get out on the street on it much so I seldom look at the sticker.

My scoot will have no problem passing an inspection. I was just curious if others get their inspections done when due.

Now I have rode before with one or the other expired. Mainly my fault not catching it in time. Rode to a pie run and back with expired plates before. Guilty as charged.:lol2:

I just did a quick Google search and there were people saying that their fines were as much as $197. That seems ridiculous. I guess I will pay the $12.50 and make that donation for a new sticker.

Like Rusty, my street bike gets it when it expires, my dirt bike when I get around to it. My wife's DR200 has never been inspected and my Triumph has not been inspected since I painted it in 1978. I've had two tickets since 1978 on that Triumph and both times I was doing something stupid to get pulled over in the first place.

Check the Dirt Bike Friendly Inspection station thread and there may be someone close to you to do a quick and easy inspection.

They change the sticker color now and then and the guys know what color is "dead" and they WILL pull you over for it, because it's a fast couple hundred bucks for the coffers.

Like Rusty, my street bike gets it when it expires, my dirt bike when I get around to it. My wife's DR200 has never been inspected and my Triumph has not been inspected since I painted it in 1978. I've had two tickets since 1978 on that Triumph and both times I was doing something stupid to get pulled over in the first place.

Check the Dirt Bike Friendly Inspection station thread and there may be someone close to you to do a quick and easy inspection.

Register your 78 as a classic or antique. No further inspection stickers required.

I bit the bullet. Just got back from the inspection station. 22 miles round trip and $14.50 donated. I now have sticker good for another year. My previous sticker was only expired by 3 years so I guess it was time.:rider:

Register your 78 as a classic or antique. No further inspection stickers required.

You have to go Antique vehicle to get out of annual inspections. But then it is supposed to limit use to parades and going to-from getting serviced.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm
Vehicles registered as "Antiques" are exempt from annual inspection. To see the restrictions on the use of antiques or to obtain more information on how to register your vehicle as "Antique", see the TXDMV website.
Vehicles registered as "Classic" are required to have an annual safety inspection. These types of vehicles are inspected like any passenger vehicle. Certain items of inspection, however, may or may not be required to be inspected, depending on the age of the car. (For example, seatbelts and anchorages are only required if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them.)

You have to go Antique vehicle to get out of annual inspections. But then it is supposed to limit use to parades and going to-from getting serviced.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/uniqueVeh.htm

It can also be used for club activities. I have 2 vehicles that are titled as antiques, 53 Chevy Pickup but the body is the only thing that is a 53. Also have a fully restored 66 Mustang coupe. Neither vehicle is driven more than a few hundred miles a year.

Antique let's me avoid stickers and pay $10 for five years registration, but then it can only be used for parade use. Classic lets me ride it on the road, but it still must pass inspection. On a bike it doesn't do much good since there is not much to inspect anyway, but I'm thinking of getting classic for the Jag.

Last edited:
Is there any benefit to the classic registration, compared to normal?

Why would you NOT want to get inspected? For a bike, it only costs $14.50 and takes about 10 minutes. If the lights & horn work, the tires are okay, and you can stop it from 20mph without falling over, you're home free.

You are correct that it is NOT a moving violation - I received said ticket years ago. Most cops, in any case, either give you a slap on the wrist, or a ticket that (at least in Arlington) will be dismissed once you get the sticker.

Save yourself the trouble, though, and pay the $14.

I was once the lead rider in a group of about 10 riders - out on a country road - when we approached a TDPS officer going the other direction. We were doing right at 68mph on what I thought was a 70mph road. It wasn't - it was 60mph. I guess the TDPS officer believed me when I told him I honestly thought the speed limit was 70, but then again it could have been the full head of grey hair and my "older than usual" look - at least for a grandpa riding a Hayabusa. At any rate, he decided to write everyone a warning ticket which was a great relief. However, one of the riders had an expired inspection sticker and he managed to take home the gold... Guess someone had to get a "real" ticket!

Most counties or municipalities will only charge you a ten or fifteen dollars fee if you get the inspection done within 10 days after getting a ticket.

what a junkie, checking the forum on his phone

Most counties or municipalities will only charge you a ten or fifteen dollars fee if you get the inspection done within 10 days after getting a ticket.

what a junkie, checking the forum on his phone

College station charged $150 about 3 years ago. I pulled in to one of the MC parking lots on Texas A&M campus and 2 College Station officers told me to get in line. I was 4th in line. All 3 officers were on bicycles.

Why would you NOT want to get inspected? For a bike, it only costs $14.50 and takes about 10 minutes. If the lights & horn work, the tires are okay, and you can stop it from 20mph without falling over, you're home free. ...

Why not, indeed? Paying $14.50 to have a guy check the things I checked 20 minutes earlier (it's ~16 miles to the nearest inspection station) makes perfect sense . . . for the state coffers. :trust:

Welcome to the Great State of Taxes...

(The Founding Fathers just got the "a" and the "e" in the wrong spots...)

:-)

I try to get it done before the old one falls off, usually about 2 years or so.
It's a racket, a lot of states don't even have inspection for cages or moto's, I believe OK is one of them off the top of my head.

I got a $130 ticket for expired inspection on mu truck and then had to pay the $30 inspection fee too. Quite expensive.

On the bikes I just go when I see its expired and give them their money. Always remind myself we dont pay personal income tax in TX so the money has to come from somewnhere.

I went to get my RC8R inspected after 2 yrs (it was on the track and not street legal) and the guy said, "I have to ride it around the block." I said, "Nope." Apparently if the guy has a MC license he is supposed to test your brakes and that the bike rides ok. So, I went to another station and had a guy without a license watch me stop it. It is a racket, but my experience is that if you are on a sport bike, you WILL get the ticket. I keep all my stuff inspected. All of my Harley buddies NEVER get an inspection, I have seen them be stopped and nothing said. So, it is worth the money to avoid the ticket. Plus it is the law, why not just do it? Seems to make more sense. Also it has been the law on motorcycles since the early 70's. We complained when they stuck them to our fenders, then we had tubes, now we stick them to the license plate holder. Not worth hassling over for the price vs. fine. Other states do lots of stuff we don't do in Texas, I am happy right here!

Back