• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Safety Gadgets available / product reviews?

Reaction score
you know alot of use chat about "safety gadgets" but we dont have a compiled list... so here is an attempt at listing some on this message and see if anyone else comes up with something (or comment) on more items

reflective helmet arrows/tape
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=4806

refay.jpg
refao.jpg
refao-2.jpg

Also someone on another board posted this helmet 3rd brake light, I am thinking it is an interesting idea especially for me that drives mostly in the evenings....

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5361

wh3-4.jpg
wh3-3.jpg
wh3-2.jpg

Tire Repair

Now most of you probably have had a nail along their rides, I have done numerous repairs as a tire changer/repair at a Jeep dealer in the 80's to know the good stuff from the bad stuf. Tire repair kits come in 3 categories
the walmart crap sold under the bell name, the autozone kit that work generally well but can require some getting used to and then you have the easy peasy plug the hold from the inside out (everyone know a proper repair is to patch hole inside tire and fill the channel after wards)

I have used this product 1000's of times, and I have been searching for it since I have been in the usa, but I found this web site that sells it... The plugs are mushroom shaped, pushed in with the gun, and released in place as you withdrawl the gun, 1-2-3 done !, 3 min repairs are possible, not expensive, and it WORKS!

http://www.stopngo.com/plugger.asp

plugge10.gif

Patrick,
Thanks for posting about the 'Tire Plugger'. Wondered if that worked or was a gimick.

I have reservations about the arrows meant to indicate a turn. Had it not been explained, I would have just assume it was a fashion statement of some sort. Interesting about the tire plugger. Those have come up here before with less than glowing reviews. What do you feel makes them better?

:tab I don't care for the plugger above. If you have a small hole, it still requires that you enlarge the hole so that the plug will fit. This means even more damage to the tire carcass. I have had great experience with just the little gooey strips you get a Wal-Mart and most any convenience store. They are dirt cheap and readily available anywhere. I have used tons of them on my flats and those of others with no problems. They pack very small as well.

:tab Now if they have reduced the diameter of the plug so a smaller hole is used, I might consider it depending on the bike. However, another issue is that I have seen many tires where the steel belts cut right through the plug. This is common on the Tourances and Anakees used on the BMW GW's. The sticky strips seemed immune from this on my GS.

:tab I used to have some plugs that were pointed on one end, tapered like an hour glass, and then open on the outside so you could stick them on the end of the awl and push them in. They worked great. However, I could never find replacements absent buying a whole new kit.

Back