• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650?

af240z

Reaction score
What are the forum's thoughts on getting a KLR650 alongside a bandit? I am going to look at a 2009 blue klr with eagle mike's mods (doohickey not done yet, but other goodies), sargent seat, sw-motech racks, but otherwise stock. I think the owner mentioned that the EGR blockoff plates are also installed. The bike has 36-37k miles on it, new tires, and +1 tooth on the front sprocket (sprockets and chain were changed out probably 10k miles ago).

Anything specific I should look for when testing/examining the bike? Any personal feedback (I think achelsey has a KLR as well?)?

Thanks!

free bump! let us know how it goes.
I have a 2003 KLR and have no complaints.
The doohickey is a major deal but if it is done then that is one less thing to cross off the "headache list".
It sounds like it has a lot of nice mods.

They are a cool match up. Been having that set up for quite a few years now. Doing road work for a ways I usually use the Bandit. When it's just around town and the old beat up blacktop and gravel roads around her, the KLR gets the call. But I have road the KLR a bit getting up to the back roads of Arkansas, Missouri and West Texas. The Bandit's been from Key West to Canada to Montana to Arizona and most states in between. Bought the KLR in the winter of '99 and the Bandit in the Spring of '08.

:tab You can have a LOT of fun on a KLR, even on twisty pavement :trust:

:tab I put about 15K on my 02 KLR before selling it for a 2010 KTM 530 EXC. I rode the KLR in Arkansas, West Texas (rocky and mountains), East Texas (deep sand and mud), across most of the high passes in SW Colorado (including Black Bear and Imogene), and in the deserts and mountains of Arizona. For a bike that you can load like a pack mule and ride in some pretty rough places or on pavement, it is a great bike. A DR650 is another good one (air cooled vs water cooled like the KLR).

:tab For a while, I had my KLR along side a 1200GS. But I found my riding on dirt leaning more and more to the technical stuff, which is why I finally made the jump to the KTM. I use the KTM for dual sport riding, but avoid the highways as much as possible. I could ride the KLR 400-500 miles in a day without much trouble. The KTM is good for maybe 250-300 and then I want OFF the bike! But in the dirt, the KTM blows away the KLR. Contrary to what some folks believe, the maintenance on the KTM is about the same as the KLR. But even if it were more, it would still be worth it.

:tab For reference, here are a few of my KLR adventures,

The Great SW Colorado Mountain Pass Adventure of 2010

Cloudcroft New Mexico ride - Memorial Day Weekend 2010

Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets and Boulders... The Thrashing of Best Laid Plans...

and a few of the KTM adventures,

My first (and NOT last) trip to Big Bend Ranch & State Park 12/28/11-01/01/12

a revisit to Cloudcroft...

Adventure begins where plans fail... Cloudcroft, NM. Aug 2012

and I leave for Arizona in a few weeks to redo a similar version of the Gnats and Knobbies adventure :dude:

:tab Bang for the buck, KLRs are hard to beat. You can find really nicely farkled bikes with low miles on them for great prices. Scope out KLR650.net.

:tab I would not worry about the doo-hickey. If it has been done, great. If not, it is not a big deal to do it. Eagle Mike has everything you need and there are TONS of videos/writeups about it.

Well, I went ahead and procured said KLR:

Ga5v9Nel.jpg

some farkles, good price, it's been to alaska and back. Rode it home in pouring rain to introduce myself to adventure riding. First thing's first, it needs an oil change, chain clean, and minor fixes (speedo bounces up and down from 20-60mph, probably need to clean/lube speedo cable), and it's on shinko trailmaster tires. OK to start with, but I'll probably get those replaced down the road. OEM tire size for rear is 130, but this one is running 120.

Awesome!

I'm not sure if this is your problem with the speedometer but gas guy off adv had the same problem. The PO had not installed the front wheel improperly. Here are his pictures.
uploadfromtaptalk1396189431142.jpguploadfromtaptalk1396189448234.jpg
That ring is supposed to fit in the grove but the PO had just forced in on the bike without paying attention.

Thanks bear, I'll check it out. Weather cleared up, I took it out for a spin today and changed the oil after. It's stupid fun for the 35hp it makes, I love it

10013880_10152056266053295_559701725_n.jpg

1503351_10152056266108295_1907837777_n.jpg

So, interesting turn of events. Went to DMV to register it, DMV informs me it's pending salvage retention. As in, it's not even salvage titled yet. It turns out, the previous owner crashed the KLR after paying registration, claimed insurance on it for the crash, they totaled it out. He bought the bike back, probably replaced a turn signal, and never finished up the salvage processing (in CA, you have to get inspected (lights, etc), then go to California Highway Patrol checkpoint to get inspected for safety, then get certified as 'salvage'). The insurance company submitted salvage sale info to DMV, but he did not.

That turned out to be an interesting headache. I managed to get some $ back from the seller, but an insignificant amount. I could have forced him to give me a full refund, but it would have been more of a headache, and I felt satisfied. The guy was a complete **** for not telling me about it. Registration and pink slip did not have salvage title because they were not updated since he never finished the salvage process. It's my fault for not running a VIN check, but I have a feeling the VIN check wouldn't have yielded any results since it wasn't fully salvage titled.

I have to go get certified with CHP, but I have temp registration that allows me to operate it legally.

That being said, I decided to do some work on it. Now it's this:

INTHDCnl.jpg

I also did some basic tune up on it, it runs better. Put sw-motech crash bars on it, fixed a bunch of problems, like the bent tabs on the speedo sensor ring, half of bolt holes stripped out, etc.

Next on the list: 20mm ammo can panniers and top case out of an aluminum night vision goggles case stamped "US PROPERTY".

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking bike! Stinks that the guy took you for a ride, but looks like things are working out anyhow. Welcome to KLR fun.:rider:

It's not so much that I was stiffed, the pricewas slightly on the higher side because it's a salvage title (or, a really good price because I thought it was a clean title), but it doesn't bother me. Besides, it's kind of hard to actually total a KLR. There's no frame damage, but **** it had a lot of loose bolts.

So, interesting turn of events. Went to DMV to register it, DMV informs me it's pending salvage retention. As in, it's not even salvage titled yet. It turns out, the previous owner crashed the KLR after paying registration, claimed insurance on it for the crash, they totaled it out. He bought the bike back, probably replaced a turn signal, and never finished up the salvage processing (in CA, you have to get inspected (lights, etc), then go to California Highway Patrol checkpoint to get inspected for safety, then get certified as 'salvage'). The insurance company submitted salvage sale info to DMV, but he did not.

That turned out to be an interesting headache. I managed to get some $ back from the seller, but an insignificant amount. I could have forced him to give me a full refund, but it would have been more of a headache, and I felt satisfied. The guy was a complete dick for not telling me about it. Registration and pink slip did not have salvage title because they were not updated since he never finished the salvage process. It's my fault for not running a VIN check, but I have a feeling the VIN check wouldn't have yielded any results since it wasn't fully salvage titled.

I have to go get certified with CHP, but I have temp registration that allows me to operate it legally.

That being said, I decided to do some work on it. Now it's this:

INTHDCnl.jpg

I also did some basic tune up on it, it runs better. Put sw-motech crash bars on it, fixed a bunch of problems, like the bent tabs on the speedo sensor ring, half of bolt holes stripped out, etc.

Next on the list: 20mm ammo can panniers and top case out of an aluminum night vision goggles case stamped "US PROPERTY".

So you bought the bike from Richard Noggin? :rofl:
I've got an NVG case, and like it.....:sun:

I've owned four KLR 650's over the last 10 years, sometimes two at a time. Only purchased one of them new, but today I'm thinking about getting another one, just can't be without one. You need to do your homework when purchasing used, probably didn't have too much damage as bikes total pretty easily, but it will hurt you on resale. Best one I owned was a 1995 Barbie model, don't know why, but it just seemed to have more power then the others.

John

I've owned four KLR 650's over the last 10 years, sometimes two at a time. Only purchased one of them new, but today I'm thinking about getting another one, just can't be without one. You need to do your homework when purchasing used, probably didn't have too much damage as bikes total pretty easily, but it will hurt you on resale. Best one I owned was a 1995 Barbie model, don't know why, but it just seemed to have more power then the others.

John
A buddy of mine is selling this one and the price is right in my opinion...

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4430915502.html

kojack06: pics are from SF bay area east bay hills, specifically tail end of Palomares Road in SF Northern California

Drumboy: everything's pricier in CA. That KLR would sell for 5k or more here. That is a very good deal for the KLR. trainman is referring to salvage title hurting the resale value of the bike, should I choose to sell it later down the road. He's not wrong. but it's not like I paid an exuberant amount of my KLR: it was about 2500.

Also, your friend WASHED a KLR?!?! :)

Instead of Locktite, I just use a dap of silicone seal from a tube I keep on the bench. To me , it's faster and easier to just put a dab on each bolt, then start putting what ever I have off back on.
Another thing on Gen 1 KLR's is to replace the two adjustment nuts for the chain with one nylon self locking nut. You just can't imangine the people that have lost both nuts on one side or the other due to them loosening up. Me included. ;-)
At 14 years with this present KLR But, only just rolled 35,000 miles on it.

Back