• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Which bike?

Hoss83

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Fowlkes
I'm trying to decide which of the dual sport bikes like a KLR, XR or a KTM etc. would be best for me.
At this point I'm not seeing long trips on this bike but there are hundreds of roads within 100 mile radius I could explore. I think a Beemer or triumph is too much for what I'm wanting to do. Someday I might want a larger, more capable long distance ride but for now a less expensive dual sport just to get my feet wet.
Was hoping to get some feedback on what other members ride and what they like about it and what they might not like. I last owned a dual sport in 1972.....XL250 Honda. I'm pretty sure dual sports have changed a little since then!

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The words "less expensive" and "KTM" cannot happen in the same thought string. :) They make good stuff (that most of the time needs the most upkeep), but you pay dearly for it.

For simple dirt/gravel road riding, any ol' dual sport will do. I am a fan of the KLR's simply because they are affordable, stone reliable, and decent on the pavement as well.

How tall are you makes a big difference also. Do you want to touch flat footed or tip-toe? I have to agree with DFW W that the KLR is reliable and can be found for $1500-3000 all day long. What is your budget? That is a important factor also. KP

KLR is on the heavy side of the Dual Sport world. If you want more of a dirt bike feel in a street legal package take a look at DRZ400. Lighter, better suspension, and enough street creds to get you to a good dirt riding area.

I'm not tall but used to tall bikes, recently sold my CRF450. Would love a wide ratio street legal version of that!
KLR gets 2 votes. Not hearing much on Honda or Suzuki from friends either but I'm sure those guys on this forum will pipe in.
I like to go fast, fast on gravel/dirt is one thing and fast on the street is another. KLR is well within the budget.

^ +1

I've seen some good riders do remarkable dirt work on a DR400.

The KLR is heavy - top heavy. It'll dang sure get the job done but that comes after the rider has experience and can GO with commitment and confidence. Starting out on one is sort of like handing a kid a single shot 410 to learn how to shoot. Can be frustrating - but plenty of folks have done it. Just my humble opinion...:roll:

I'm not tall but used to tall bikes, recently sold my CRF450. Would love a wide ratio street legal version of that!
KLR gets 2 votes. Not hearing much on Honda or Suzuki from friends either but I'm sure those guys on this forum will pipe in.
I like to go fast, fast on gravel/dirt is one thing and fast on the street is another. KLR is well within the budget.

SUZUKI DRZ400 :rider:

Starting out on one is sort of like handing a kid a single shot 410 to learn how to shoot. Can be frustrating - but plenty of folks have done it. Just my humble opinion...:roll:

I have zero dirt experience, but just had to chime in and let you know that is EXACTLY how I learned to shoot, and I still have the 410.

Now I'm thinking about buying a KLR, lol!

What is your budget? Like Jim said there is no wrong answer. For more dirt action than pavement the tall WR is popular. The Honda and the Kawasaki 250 area all great bikes from what I understand from the owners. If your riding awhile asphalt the bigger ones are more comfortable. Dirt wise the lighter the better. KP

Hoss, if you are coming off a CRF450, then you probably won't be happy on a KLR. I'd suggest something like a CRF450X, WR450, etc. Stock, they are not street legal, but they're not that hard to make so. You can find them already converted if buying used is an option for you. Either way, your first bike will not be your last, LOL. We all go through the evolutionary process.

Actually, I think it's perfect because it doesn't. :clap:

My buddies and I watched our friend on a XR650R that had bobbled and stalled in the bottom of a washout try to kick start the beast. He was in an awkward position and could not make it work, and could not move it our by himself. We eventually gave him a hand but it was fun to watch for a while. A quick flick of a starter button would have got him out in seconds. Even KTMs have electric start with the kick as a backup. I think that is the perfect system.

My buddies and I watched our friend on a XR650R that had bobbled and stalled in the bottom of a washout try to kick start the beast. He was in an awkward position and could not make it work, and could not move it our by himself. We eventually gave him a hand but it was fun to watch for a while. A quick flick of a starter button would have got him out in seconds. Even KTMs have electric start with the kick as a backup. I think that is the perfect system.

Not anywhere near as many times as I've seen dead batteries cripple a ride. :uhoh:

I've flooded mine before too, but with throttle wide open, and a quick kick or two, I'm good to go. Only once has it not worked in the four years I've had mine so far. But hey, to each his own, right?

If I were in the market for an all around dirt/gravel bike today the short list would be:
KTM500, BMWG, DR400, Husky Terra (if I could find one) or TE610, XR650R plated.

As for the KRL, there was a young guy who finished the Desert Challenge and the Adventure Challenge on his. It will get you there and back.

As for the XR650R starting issues, I only know a handful of guys with that bike but all start pretty quickly.

Oh yea, don't get a DR200 unless you want a knock around or trainer. They are fine for what they are and what they are is underpowered with poor ergos.

If I were in the market for an all around dirt/gravel bike today the short list would be:
KTM500, BMWG, DR400, Husky Terra (if I could find one) or TE610, XR650R plated.

As for the KRL, there was a young guy who finished the Desert Challenge and the Adventure Challenge on his. It will get you there and back.

As for the XR650R starting issues, I only know a handful of guys with that bike but all start pretty quickly.

Oh yea, don't get a DR200 unless you want a knock around or trainer. They are fine for what they are and what they are is underpowered with poor ergos.

A used Dakar BMW single would make a fine ride also. Used ones around $3000-$6000. Multiple models to select from 650 wise.

One of the best gravel road bikes I ever owned was a BMW F650G Funduro single. Bought it for $1800, sold it for $1800 and would have ridden that bike anywhere a pickup could go. I think M38 did the Alaska run on his.

Hoss83,

I have a 2013 CRF250L with just under 2k miles that I'm looking to sell or trade for a pure dirt bike (KTM 250 or 300 XCW). I love the bike, but realize I want a true off-road bike to ride with my daughter (she has a CRF50).

I purchased the bike from Central TX Powersports in Georgetown last Aug. It had 68 miles when I bought it. Since then I've added lots of extras including an FMF PC4 muffler/Megabomb header, EJK tuner, Zeta handguards w/ integrated turn signals. I also pulled off the stock rear taillight and turn signals and replaced with an LED brake/taillight w/ integrated turn signals for a cleaner, sleeker look. I also put on a fat bar with risers.

As I mentioned, I love the bike, but want something that's more capable off-road. Originally, I bought it to commute to work on and ride dirt roads around Hill Country area but found I like riding off road more.

I did a lot of research on dual sports before I bought it. I found that for the $, the CRF was the most capable of all (dirt/gravel roads, highway, etc), excluding a 10k KTM 350EXC or BMW.

Attached are some photos. If interested send me a PM.

Attachments

• 2014-03-22 16.16.24.jpg
    2014-03-22 16.16.24.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 2014-03-22 16.15.40.jpg
    2014-03-22 16.15.40.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 2014-03-22 16.16.39.jpg
    2014-03-22 16.16.39.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 182
Hoss, if you are coming off a CRF450, then you probably won't be happy on a KLR. I'd suggest something like a CRF450X, WR450, etc. Stock, they are not street legal, but they're not that hard to make so. You can find them already converted if buying used is an option for you. Either way, your first bike will not be your last, LOL. We all go through the evolutionary process.

I have to admit the 450R power is addicting and handled so good!
I know Honda made a 450X wide ratio version that could be converted to street legal. I have not seen a 450x in a long time but would seriously consider conversion if I found one.
This bike would be used primarily on gravel county rds or dirt roads on a ranch or two I have access to. The street part would be just to get me to the county road.
I have several street bikes including a Versys but it's more street than anything else. I'm primarily a Honda man especially of the older Hondas, nothing Honda makes now really interests me. Honda was way ahead of it's time with the Transalp!
The XR sounds good so does the DRZ400 like the spec's on it anyway.
I will probably get this 1st dualsport.....get addicted and then be trading for a serious adventure bike or something. I just have to do it slowly to figure out if I like it and want to carry it further.
All of your posts opinions have been very helpful and look forward to hearing others....I have time.

Back