• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston SX - 04/05/2014

Reaction score
First Name
Kory
Last Name
Burleson
Sharing some of the shots I got this past Saturday at the Houston Supercross. I spent a couple hours in the pits once I got there, and then met up with my brother and we went inside to watch/shoot the final Practice/Qualifying session. I felt like the layout of the track last year gave more spectator friendly places to shoot. In my opinion, there weren't many options, so we spent a good bit of time at the outside triple.

Full Set

13771010345_69c13ec48e_b.jpg

13771001503_6f570b1433_b.jpg

13771322044_ac3a08e01f_b.jpg

13770948683_08fff1804d_b.jpg

13771289834_1d4f9edf15_b.jpg

13771287484_035f50cb94_b.jpg

13771278584_0c2443fb2e_b.jpg

13770909255_92756a70f8_b.jpg

13771250754_09ccb93b02_b.jpg

Outstanding shots!
I agree on the track layout. As I walked around during qualifying at the lower seating areas to get a good close up look at the entire track & the riders I noticed the same thing. However I did think it was a good very technical track.

Outstanding shots!
I agree on the track layout. As I walked around during qualifying at the lower seating areas to get a good close up look at the entire track & the riders I noticed the same thing. However I did think it was a good very technical track.

Thanks! And I agree with you. Very techical track. I don't recall seeing such a difference in the way the riders were approaching the track. We first watched the C and B guys, and many of them weren't even doing the triple, because it was tricky leading into it. And they were super slow on the dragon's back out of the next corner. Then when the A guys came out it was on... and I was blown away. You want to be the best, twist on the throttle hard and don't let up! :clap:

Yea I went around to get a good look at the face of that dragon back & watched 2 or 3 practices from that area. Those were 2 foot vertical faces that made up the face of the jump. To be able to learn the obstacle that fast takes insane skills, & timing.

Nice.

What focus mode are you using? Are you spot focusing or letting the camera decide?

I am really starting to wonder if something might be amiss in my camera/lens because I have a REALLY hard time getting shots focused regardless of camera settings or even spot focusing. The images just have a soft look to them with blurred edges and it is driving me nuts. I want the images to look like what you posted above!

Nice.

What focus mode are you using? Are you spot focusing or letting the camera decide?

I am really starting to wonder if something might be amiss in my camera/lens because I have a REALLY hard time getting shots focused regardless of camera settings or even spot focusing. The images just have a soft look to them with blurred edges and it is driving me nuts. I want the images to look like what you posted above!

I'm used my D600 with my 80-200 f/2.8d for all these shots. The 80-200 was a top of the line pro lens... almost 20 years ago. Mine is the older version, with no AF-S, so it uses the body's motor to focus.

If I'm shooting anything that is moving, or has the potential of moving, I use AF-C with 9-point dynamic area AF. If you're using single point, you're more likely to miss shots if you point isn't following the action perfectly. Using the 9-point allows the point you selected as well as the surrounding points to track and focus.

I use back-button focusing. Not sure if you have set yours up this way or not. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do it feels weird to shoot a camera that isn't set up that way. I have assigned focusing to the AF-ON button on the back of the camera. With action, this gives greater control and I feel it allows for better tracking while keeping your focus on the subject. Also, in the menus, I have AF-C Priority set to "Release." This way you can take pictures without the camera confimring your subject is in focus. You can just fire away on Release.

A big part of sharp photos, in my experience, has been shutter speed. If I teeter around at just double the focal length, many times I'm disappointed. The actions shots were in Reliant, roof closed, and on a cloudy day so the was no sun pouring through the windows to assist. I knew I wanted at least 1/1000th or 1/1250th. I also know that my lens is much sharper at f/4 than it is at f/2.8, so I tend to stick around f/4. That meant my ISO was going high... anywhere between 3000 and 5000. If I was outside shooting this, I would have set my shutter around 1/2000th and then just adjusted my ISO down accordingly.

I think that about covers it. How do you have your camera set up for moving subjects right now?

:tab I have my D7000 set up with the back button focus. I don't remember if it was you or someone else that posted about that here a while back and I tried it. I really like it. If I push and release it, it locks the focus. If I push and hold, it continually focuses. I also have the shutter set to release regardless of focus lock. It is a hassle when I hand off the camera to someone else because they are always real confused. I rarely get good shots that way :doh:

:tab I am using the Nikon 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 VR.

:tab I tend to have this issue whether shooting stationary or moving subjects. Most often, I am using the center spot focus. I think I will try changing that to the larger number of focus points.

:tab The D7000 also has a focus adjustment where you can take reference pictures and then tweak the camera to get the sharpest shot, then save that setting for that specific lens. I've tried doing this but it doesn't seem to help.

:tab I am sure it is something that I am doing. The sharp shots happen, but they seem to be more accidental than intentional :roll:

:tab I have my D7000 set up with the back button focus. I don't remember if it was you or someone else that posted about that here a while back and I tried it. I really like it. If I push and release it, it locks the focus. If I push and hold, it continually focuses. I also have the shutter set to release regardless of focus lock. It is a hassle when I hand off the camera to someone else because they are always real confused. I rarely get good shots that way :doh:

:tab I am using the Nikon 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 VR.

:tab I tend to have this issue whether shooting stationary or moving subjects. Most often, I am using the center spot focus. I think I will try changing that to the larger number of focus points.

:tab The D7000 also has a focus adjustment where you can take reference pictures and then tweak the camera to get the sharpest shot, then save that setting for that specific lens. I've tried doing this but it doesn't seem to help.

:tab I am sure it is something that I am doing. The sharp shots happen, but they seem to be more accidental than intentional :roll:

I certainly know the pain of handing your camera off and having to explain everything. I usually try to change it back really quick.

I would definitely try the 9-point dynamic AF. Push the same button you do to change between AF-A and AF-C, and rotate the opposite dial as you do for this setting, if that makes any sense at all. :mrgreen: You will still just select one focus point, but then the other 8 points around that one will be working on tracking your subject as well.

The only other thing I do recommend is shooting at quicker shutter speeds.

I would definitely try the 9-point dynamic AF. Push the same button you do to change between AF-A and AF-C, and rotate the opposite dial as you do for this setting, if that makes any sense at all. :mrgreen: You will still just select one focus point, but then the other 8 points around that one will be working on tracking your subject as well.

The only other thing I do recommend is shooting at quicker shutter speeds.

:tab I did change to the 9 point setting. And I am working on higher shutter speeds, but trying to stay away from the bottom end of the aperture range as well.

:tab I did a bunch of Easter shots yesterday at our church with kids and families. I'll see how those turn out.

:tab I did change to the 9 point setting. And I am working on higher shutter speeds, but trying to stay away from the bottom end of the aperture range as well.

:tab I did a bunch of Easter shots yesterday at our church with kids and families. I'll see how those turn out.

Cool. Hopefully I didn't just make things worse for you. :doh:

Back